So in previous years, I had tried to keep track of how much I "spent" yearly on comics. I am farrrrrr from someone who buys and sells to the extent of some but I do enough selling and have for years to fund the hobby. This year, I wanted to see what that would look like and I want to continue this in future years.
After all is said and done, this year I spent a total of $671 CAD (or about $524 USD) on comics. Below are some highlights added to the PC from within that spending...
-Terrors of the Jungle 17
- Suspense Comics 19
-A large Dave Stevens lot
-Jumbo Comics 83
- 15-20 or so ASM issues including #32, 61 (signed), 80, 86, 129 and a handful I upgraded including 194
- a dozen Moon Knight issues from the first series
- 3 30 cent variant Conan comics
- Full Warlock run from the 70s
- full Long Halloween run
-GI Joe #1
- She Hulk #1
- several X-Men books from the Claremont/Byrne run including #129
- full Inhumans run from 70's
- full Champions run from 70's
-all of the Starlin books from the his run on Captain Marvel
-Haunt of Fear #17
-Sex Criminals #1-17
-CGC 9.2 Next Men #21
-Descender and Wytches full run
- around 100-150 other filler books from the silver/bronze/copper eras and a handful of new books (finally started buying Ice Cream Man)
- Oh and a vintage comic standing display rack that I hope to have in my actual home sometime in 2021!
Overall, I would have to estimate that close to 300 or so books made their way into my PC this past year. Works out to around $2.25 per book Canadian, or $1.76 USD. I think overall for the quality/quantity combination, this was a very strong year. It was helped by a large collection purchase for sure but I also found many a great deal by switching how I was buying my comics from ebay to other avenues. It will be interesting to see how 2021 stacks up. On one hand, I might eventually be able to pick up stuff stateside but I might just wait out another year until this whole COVID thing is under more control, just to be safe.
Value wise, I estimate the value of the books I bought to be worth in the $2000-2500 range total. To only spend $671 and essentially get triple the value on books I want is great and likely better than I will do in future years but hey...set the bar high and I will see what I can do.