• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Journey Into Mystery Appreciation Thread
10 10

1,839 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, 427Impaler said:

Here is one of the nicer 3.0 books you will see.  It was a solid upper mid grade until we discovered it had color touch, off to CCS for the obvious adjustments.  Nice white pages and great presentation for the grade

IMG_1711.jpg

I'm curious what it looked like as a 'solid upper mid grade' with the CT. If the large piece missing on the bottom right was there, it would have been more like upper low grade territory. I hope that bottom right was not part of the CT scrape ?

16 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I'm curious what it looked like as a 'solid upper mid grade' with the CT. If the large piece missing on the bottom right was there, it would have been more like upper low grade territory. I hope that bottom right was not part of the CT scrape ?

The bottom corner is still there, just scraped to the paper.  Colour touch was bottom right and all along the spine.  Removal resulted in a 1/2 spine split that really smashed the grade.  Before:

D2C2C805-5327-41BB-AD0A-17D5A5EAE5F2.jpeg

42 minutes ago, 427Impaler said:

The bottom corner is still there, just scraped to the paper.  Colour touch was bottom right and all along the spine.  Removal resulted in a 1/2 spine split that really smashed the grade.  Before:

D2C2C805-5327-41BB-AD0A-17D5A5EAE5F2.jpeg

Wow, I'm sorry to be negative but that is destruction. If it required that much scraping it should have been left alone. I'm disappointed CCS even did the work. Years ago, Matt would have turned down work like this. Maybe it's not his call anymore. This is not returning the book to an original state.

10 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Wow, I'm sorry to be negative but that is destruction. If it required that much scraping it should have been left alone. I'm disappointed CCS even did the work. Years ago, Matt would have turned down work like this. Maybe it's not his call anymore. This is not returning the book to an original state.

I don’t disagree with you. Initially the book was noted as “slight colour touch”.  I expected what can be seen at the spine but not the huge color loss on the corner.  Had I known or been informed of the outcome I likely would have passed on the work and enjoyed the book as-is.  This one book taught me a couple valuable leasons.

1 minute ago, 427Impaler said:

I don’t disagree with you. Initially the book was noted as “slight colour touch”.  I expected what can be seen at the spine but not the huge color loss on the corner.  Had I known or been informed of the outcome I likely would have passed on the work and enjoyed the book as-is.  This one book taught me a couple valuable leasons.

I think this proves the term 'slight' can mean a whole lot more than one would think. I'm glad to hear, in hindsight, you would have preferred to keep it as is. It looked really nice.  Also, from a valuation standpoint, I would think you lost  ? 

50 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think this proves the term 'slight' can mean a whole lot more than one would think. I'm glad to hear, in hindsight, you would have preferred to keep it as is. It looked really nice.  Also, from a valuation standpoint, I would think you lost  ? 

Hard to say but I think it is likely a wash value wise based on purple vs lower grade blue.  As far as aesthics I would have taken the before book and lived with the slight colour touch designation.

I will be keeping an eye out for an upgrade that’s for sure.  Also going forward I will be a LOT more cautious when it comes to buying raw keys.