• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Wonder Woman all the Time thread
8 8

2,601 posts in this topic

I especially love the H.G. Peter covers.

He sure did have a stylized look to his artwork.

I agree...I have every issue from 7 upto about 50 or so (missing only the ones that Sharon posted on the first page)....I think HG did most all the covers until the mid to late #30 issues (not 100% sure, but I remember they changed "dramatically" somewhere in the late 30's)...have all other issues at cgc for the resto check, and when I get them back, i will scan and post some more...

rick

next up is actually the Edgar Church Mile High copy of issue #4...but, this is one of the double lined "secondary" copies...however, it is a MH none the less...

ww4mh.jpg

gator

Rick, this intrigues me. WW #4 was published in early 1943. By then, Church had been buying his books straight off the newsstand for many years. My understanding of the double slash second-hand books is that they generally preceded the time in the late 30's when Church started buying all of his books firsthand. Are there other second-hand Church books from as late as 1943? Maybe Timely or someone else from CGC can chime in on this...

Great set of books, by the way.

next up is actually the Edgar Church Mile High copy of issue #4...but, this is one of the double lined "secondary" copies...however, it is a MH none the less...

ww4mh.jpg

gator

Rick, this intrigues me. WW #4 was published in early 1943. By then, Church had been buying his books straight off the newsstand for many years. My understanding of the double slash second-hand books is that they generally preceded the time in the late 30's when Church started buying all of his books firsthand. Are there other second-hand Church books from as late as 1943? Maybe Timely or someone else from CGC can chime in on this...

hello all...

CGC confirmed on the label it was the Mile High copy...maybe not the second hand double slash version (I don't see them on the cover), but certainly is not of the high grade that is typically found of church books...I believe this book was bought by S. Ritter from the Dentist ebay auctions of Geppi's MH WW run (had about 20 or so of them), that made its way to me...

rick

Edited by Detective27Kid

ww4mh.jpg

gator

hello all...

CGC confirmed on the label it was the Mile High copy...maybe not the second hand double slash version (I don't see them on the cover), but certainly is not of the high grade that is typically found of church books...I believe this book was bought by S. Ritter from the Dentist ebay auctions of Geppi's MH WW run (had about 20 or so of them), that made its way to me...

rick

Rick, maybe I misunderstood your initial description. What did you mean when you said: "this is one of the double lined 'secondary' copies"?

While not Wonder Woman comics. How about a rare letter that DC Comics Associate Editor Alice Marble sent out with advance copies of Wonder Woman #1 discussing the comic. This was distributed to prominent women in America.

13237_39111_2.jpg

13237_39109_3.jpg

13237_39151_4.jpg

My understanding is the same as RHG re: the double-slash Church books being early ones he had missed.

With Wonder Woman Church books, the story goes that a traveling monk (no, I'm not making this up) owned the books and he read and enjoyed them as he wandered about. Hence we see books that are Church copies, but exhibit typical signs of reading and handling.

Note that S. Ritter had other Church WW comics at San Diego that were around "fine" condition, which may lend support to the monk story.

My understanding is the same as RHG re: the double-slash Church books being early ones he had missed.

With Wonder Woman Church books, the story goes that a traveling monk (no, I'm not making this up) owned the books and he read and enjoyed them as he wandered about. Hence we see books that are Church copies, but exhibit typical signs of reading and handling.

Note that S. Ritter had other Church WW comics at San Diego that were around "fine" condition, which may lend support to the monk story.

that certainly sounds reasonable to me...I remember the Dentist's auctions, and in his description, he gave a reason why the books were more mid grade, than the typical Church high grade, but I don't recall specifics, because Ritter outbid me on all of them (as he generally does)...I am not as well versed on the Church run as I would like to be (I can identify most, but no expert at all), but I do know that many early "missesd" or "second hand" church copies have the double slash on the cover identifying as such...so, I "assumed" that this earlier DC must have been a second hand church copy (which it likely is, whether from a monk or from another source)....

gator

The WW #4 is not a "double-slash" 2nd hand MH. There is an interesting story regarding the Wonder Woman MH's and why most of the are either missing or damaged, that story will appear on the Pedigree book (teaser!).

The latest 2nd hand MH I know of is from 1944, Hap Hazard #1. Check your Gerber Photo Journal to see the picture! :news:

West

The WW #4 is not a "double-slash" 2nd hand MH. There is an interesting story regarding the Wonder Woman MH's and why most of the are either missing or damaged, that story will appear on the Pedigree book (teaser!).

The latest 2nd hand MH I know of is from 1944, Hap Hazard #1. Check your Gerber Photo Journal to see the picture! :news:

West

tease :)

gator

If a monk is travelling around with Wonder Woman comics as his reading material am I to assume that you are calling them second hand copies because you don't know what the first hand is doing?

If a monk is travelling around with Wonder Woman comics as his reading material am I to assume that you are calling them second hand copies because you don't know what the first hand is doing?

I guess we should not presume that "pages stuck together" means siamese!

While not Wonder Woman comics. How about a rare letter that DC Comics Associate Editor Alice Marble sent out with advance copies of Wonder Woman #1 discussing the comic. This was distributed to prominent women in America.

13237_39111_2.jpg

13237_39109_3.jpg

13237_39151_4.jpg

This is way cool, Tom. Thanks for posting it - i guess it is good the IRS lady never responded so we now have this example of ways being thought of to bring more women into reading comic books

I have question regarding early Wonder Woman's 1-15 - why did the issues #1-8 have the DC Comics logo, #9 All American Comics logo, #10 & 11 DC Comics logo, #12, 13 &14 the All American Comics logo and then #15 back to the DC Comics logo for the duration.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY THIS IS?

Also - regarding the stye-change on Wonder Woman covers - there is a DRASTIC change after issue #35.

Also - regarding the stye-change on Wonder Woman covers - there is a DRASTIC change after issue #35.

I agree and that is why I focus on WW 40 and up and Sensation Comics 80-106. I just find Wonder Woman more appealing on those covers than the earlier ones. I do want a few of the earlier ones but I'm in no rush and rather focus on the later ones as they are rather difficult to find in 7.0 and above.

I agree and that is why I focus on WW 40 and up and Sensation Comics 80-106. I just find Wonder Woman more appealing on those covers than the earlier ones. I do want a few of the earlier ones but I'm in no rush and rather focus on the later ones as they are rather difficult to find in 7.0 and above.

you are correct...I posted the only 3 WW I have in 7.0 or better (2 are cgc 7.5) from issue 50 on (I Think I have a few in the 40's that are nicer)...

I am 5 copies from completing the GA run 1-84, but I almost never see them for sale (the ones I am missing...I did find 2 in Chiago)

rick

I have 4 issues above 7.0 past issue 50 and thats taken me 3 years to do. They are TOUGH. I really regret passing on 4 books that were above 7.0 and were in the 80-90 range when I first started getting into Wonder Woman. Those books are a bear in nice shape.

However, I now know that when they come up for sale you have to grab the bull by the horns and act quick. Metro had a few issues awhile back but had certain flaws that made me pass on them. Wish I didn't now. Oh well. Below are the ones that I have in nice shape.

53 in 7.0

57 in 8.0/8.5

60 in 8.0

93 in 7.5

I'm doing alot better on the Sensation run from 80-106. I have about 12 of those above 6.0. Of course a few dealers know I'm on the hunt for them a keep a look out for me.

Below are scans that I have at hand of 2 Wonder Womans. I love hese books but the 60 is the best cover IMHO.

WonderWoman53PGX7.0June1952.jpg

WonderWoman578.jpg