• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Name all the MODERN cover gimmicks! Spelling counts.

77 posts in this topic

How about failed gimmick covers? IIRC, Cage # 1 was solicited as the first-ever acetate overlay, only they couldn't make it work so it just shipped with metallic silver ink instead. _Lot_ of dealer over-ordered and got burned on that one.

Believe the first successful acetate overlay wasn't until Marvels # 1.

Ooh...what about a list of glow-in-the-dark covers? Off-hand I remember Sandman: Orpheus Special (1990), Ghost Rider 15, & Spectre ('92) # 1, 9, & 13.

bongo radioactive man #1

was glow in the dark too

Yeah, but Superboy # 1 and ASM 263 stand out to me because they are full photo covers (with actors playing the superhero), whereas the Subby # 7 and DD # 43s are just photographic cityscape backgrounds with the superheroes drawn onto them.

And of course there were all the Annie Oakley-Gold Key Star Treks, etc. that were photo covers but it's far rarer to see actors standing in for superheroes. I think a Flash Special might have had one around the time of the 1990 tv series, as well.

Ehhhhh....I dunno, that may be dicing things a tad too fine. But you're right, when you say "real life actors portraying superheroes in photo covers", then Spidey #262's probably the first.

And I'm well-aware of the uncut Tick # 2s. Standing offer of $200 for one in 9.0 or better shape.

Best of wishes on finding one. I'm still looking for a Vengeance of Vampirella #1 "White" cover that was advertised by Comic Cavalcade back in the mid 90's, and a Vampirella #0 Royal Blue. That's just one of those books (Tick #2) that totally slipped under the radar for everyone. I'm sure the majority of Tick owners don't even know it exists (unless they check NEC ads in Ticks from the early 90's)

I'm guessing $200 is gonna be way too low when and if this book ever becomes noticed. I'm thinking $1,000 may be the price point.

Ooh...what about a list of glow-in-the-dark covers? Off-hand I remember Sandman: Orpheus Special (1990), Ghost Rider 15, & Spectre ('92) # 1, 9, & 13.

Off-hand? Blair Witch Project. The Maxx.

There really are quite a few of them.

Yeah, there are tons:

Ghost Rider #15, 1st and second print

Green Lantern #50

Spectre #1, 8, 13

Venom Enemy Within #1

Daredevil #321

Maxx #1

Shadowhawk #3

Batman #530, 531, 532

Evil Ernie Revenge #1, #1 Variant

Evil Ernie 1/2, Foil 1/2

Sandman Special #1

Divine Right #6 Variant

Darkchylde: Legacy #1 Variant

Jason Goes to Hell #1

Superman #123

Blair Witch Project, 2 variants

Neon Cyber #1

Aria #4, both variants

Lady Pendragon Vol 3 #1 Variant

Cyberad #5

Shadowman Vol 2 #16

Star Wars Phantom Menace #1 Obi Wan variant, Amidala British variant

There's more....

Off-hand? Blair Witch Project. The Maxx.

There really are quite a few of them.

Yeah, there are tons:

Ghost Rider #15, 1st and second print

Green Lantern #50

Spectre #1, 8, 13

Venom Enemy Within #1

Daredevil #321

Maxx #1

Shadowhawk #3

Batman #530, 531, 532

Evil Ernie Revenge #1, #1 Variant

Evil Ernie 1/2, Foil 1/2

Sandman Special #1

Divine Right #6 Variant

Darkchylde: Legacy #1 Variant

Jason Goes to Hell #1

Superman #123

Blair Witch Project, 2 variants

Neon Cyber #1

Aria #4, both variants

Lady Pendragon Vol 3 #1 Variant

Cyberad #5

Shadowman Vol 2 #16

Star Wars Phantom Menace #1 Obi Wan variant, Amidala British variant

There's more....

Nice job of compiling that list. Kudos!

How about action figures that have comics included in the package.

And the special ones you can only get at comic cons.

And we left out the post office stamp album comics. Comics that you can attach stamps into the story.

Also the Tatoo included issues.

And I read somewhere once a few years back that a condom was included in a certain sex ed comic for some school. Didn't go over to well with parents from what I remember.

And the ever popular... "Kill off the hero and start the series again with a new issue #1."

Homage Cover Swipes http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6309152&fpart=1

HOMAGE (AFTER . . . ) COVERS - CLASSIC ILLUSTRATORS GET SWIPED

Gimmick: aid, apparatus, artifice, catch, concern, contrived object, counterfeit, deceit, device, dodge*, fake, feint, fixture, fun, gadget, gambit, game, gizmo, imposture, instrument, jest, maneuver, means, method, ploy, ruse, scheme, secret, shift, sport, stratagem, stunt, trick, widget, wile

Homage: devotion, admiration, adoration, adulation, allegiance, awe, deference, duty, esteem, faithfulness, fealty, fidelity, genuflection, honor, kneeling, loyalty, obeisance, praise, respect, reverence, service, tribute, worship

Swipe: annex, appropriate, borrow, clap, confiscate, cop, embezzle, filch, get fingers on, get hands on, glom on to, grab, grab hold of, hijack, liberate, lift, misappropriate, moonlight requisition, pilfer, pocket, secure, snatch, steal, take over, usurp, annex, appropriate, arrogate, bite, borrow, clap hands on, commandeer, confiscate, expropriate, get fingers on, get hands on, glom onto, grab, grab hold of, hijack, kipe, liberate, moonlight requisition, preempt, seize, snatch, swipe, take over, usurp

There was a sticker gimmick for Worlds Collide #1 where you can remove & place all your super hero's on your comic & there was Ghost Rider Pop up comic book as well. & lets not forget how many trading cards that came along with our comics. Now if I can make a gimmick comic, I'd make a few of the new books wrapped in poly bags that contain autographs & sketches by artist, writers & legends ! This would be a great gimmick to see when an anniversary issue comes along like ASM #800 2c

Which Special Cover Gimmick Do you Want To See Make a Comeback Next?

With Marvel offering chromium covers for "Age of Ultron," DC bringing the die-cut cover back for "Death of the Family," the embossed cover on "Batman: Year Zero" and 3D covers for Villains Month, which 1990s cover gimmick should be next to make a comeback?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=poll&id=158