• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Name all the MODERN cover gimmicks! Spelling counts.

77 posts in this topic

Seriously, did a modern ever have a scratch and sniff? Ren and Stimpy, Simpsons or South Park?

What about an added patch of fur like the Fuzzy Bunny childrens book.

Or a pop-ups? Were those ever used?

Thankfully I got out of comics just as the 90's hit.

Ed

> Sideways/Horizontal - *FIRST* - Fantastic Four (80's Byrne),

Fantastic Four #252

Dave Sim took this idea to an absurd height with an issue of Cerebus somewhere in the #40s. The pages kept rotating to the point where you'd have to go back to the cover to figure out what direction the next page was.

It's not really a cover gimmick, but there have been the 'widescreen' comics with the staples on the short edge.

> Sideways/Horizontal - *FIRST* - Fantastic Four (80's Byrne),

Fantastic Four #252

Dave Sim took this idea to an absurd height with an issue of Cerebus somewhere in the #40s. The pages kept rotating to the point where you'd have to go back to the cover to figure out what direction the next page was.

It's not really a cover gimmick, but there have been the 'widescreen' comics with the staples on the short edge.

Cerebus #50....?

B1074050.JPG

I believe the first "die-cut" cover was Tick (regular) # 2 (1988). Every copy of the first print had an intentional square cut out of the cover.

What about photo covers for superhero books? Off-hand I can think of Superboy (1990) # 1 and that ASM in the 260s

I believe the first "die-cut" cover was Tick (regular) # 2 (1988). Every copy of the first print had an intentional square cut out of the cover.

There were 200 copies that weren't die-cut and given out to employees, friends, etc of NEC. It's one of the hardest variant comics to find, ever.

What about photo covers for superhero books? Off-hand I can think of Superboy (1990) # 1 and that ASM in the 260s

Photo covers have been done for a long time. Submariner #7 and DD #43 are classic examples.

Yeah, but Superboy # 1 and ASM 263 stand out to me because they are full photo covers (with actors playing the superhero), whereas the Subby # 7 and DD # 43s are just photographic cityscape backgrounds with the superheroes drawn onto them.

And of course there were all the Annie Oakley-Gold Key Star Treks, etc. that were photo covers but it's far rarer to see actors standing in for superheroes. I think a Flash Special might have had one around the time of the 1990 tv series, as well.

And I'm well-aware of the uncut Tick # 2s. Standing offer of $200 for one in 9.0 or better shape.