• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An ASM #6, NM 9.4 Slight (P)--$449?????

33 posts in this topic

OK, here's a NM 9.4 ASM #6, that's right, #6! It has slight, I repeat slight restoration: cover cleaned and pressed. Now, given that pressing covers is pretty common and hard to detect anyway, we basically have a nearly perfect 40-year-old comic book with a cleaned cover. Why aren't more folks jumping at this comic?

The only other negative is that the pages are cream to offwhite.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2190838858&category=32739

893scratchchin-thumb.gifMike

It's a bloody bargain for a terrific copy of a terrific comic book! One day, maybe down the road a decade or two, these older ASMs are going to be so rare and hard to get that a slight restoration won't make as much difference. Same as for GA today. It's already almost 40-years-old!

makepoint.gif

Neither. I just noted it and other posts in the past about restoration. I have limited funds for comics--unfortunately--so I would prefer to stick to other missing issues I need. I just think that the "market" seriously underestimates the value of slightly restored comics. We're only talking about a cleaned cover, not a trimmed edge or color touch or tear seal, etc. Seems pretty minor to me, and many of us could hardly afford a true NM copy these days...

Mike

P.S. I have only sold a few items on eBay with the same name as my posting name here!

Well, it's probably selling for less because cleaning and pressing are considered restoration.. and a restored book isn't worth as much as a non-restored book. But given, it should probably go for more than a trimmed or color touched book, I'd guess?

Brian

I thought pressing was not considered restoration, according to Borock. Why mention it on the label if it is not restoration??

But cleaning is.

P.S. We should also remember what effect the CGC Universal slab has on prices. Lots of specs are buying them, forcing prices up, and they don't touch the Restored no matter what.

I seriously think you are overestimating the future demand for these books.

I thought pressing was not considered restoration, according to Borock. Why mention it on the label if it is not restoration??

Certain types of pressing aren't really detectable- basically heavy weights pressing a whole book flat. If my memory is correct, I believe that's what Steve was talking about. Other types of pressing, especially when a book has been "cleaned and pressed" ARE detectable, especially since the book has to be taken apart.

I think the book is a bargain except:

Once the book has any type of restoration (and gets the Purple Label), it probably doesn't matter much to the BUYER if the book is a NM (9.4) or VF/NM (9.0).

In other words, the book has a flaw that clearly reduces it's investment value.

I personally don't have a big problem with cleaned and pressed books, but there's no way I would pay the same multiple because the book is a NM than if it was a VF/NM.

Example:

Say the ASM #6 in unrestored VF/NM sells for $2,000 and in NM sells for $6,000.

That's a 3 times multiple.

Now if an ASM #6 in restored VF/NM sells for $1,000, I not going to pay $3,000 in restored NM, because, as I said, I have already lost the premium that a Universal Blue Label NM gets. I might pay $1,500, but I see no reason to pay the same multiple.

I think the book will probably sell for around $1,200-1,500.

But cleaning is.

P.S. We should also remember what effect the CGC Universal slab has on prices. Lots of specs are buying them, forcing prices up, and they don't touch the Restored no matter what.

I seriously think you are overestimating the future demand for these books.

JC, I think the previous question was "why is pressing noted" on the label, not "whi is cleaning noted" ... this seems like a legitimate question, since the Marvel Mystery books that received significantly higher grades after resubbing were, as I understand it, pressed, and that pressing wasn't noted on the labels...?

As for "overestimating the future demand for these books," I'm not so sure... there may well come a day when

a) CGC decides cleaning is not restoration (maybe there's a middle ground termed "preservation" or whathaveyou)

...or...

b) some portion of the collecting community decides that despite CGC's stance, cleaning is acceptable, versus other forms of resto

A subset of the existing speculator community might want to speculate on this prospect, and if that happens, books like this one might appreciate fairly significantly.

I for one don't consider cleaning and pressing to be resto, as long as the cleaning doesn't remove gloss or leave any "extraneous" materials on/in the book. (Wonder Bread may not actually build strong bodies, but it does in fact clean comic book covers, and I don't think CGC could detect that, unless traces of pb&j were extant tongue.gif )

From a NO FEEDBACK bidder.

My guess is either the Seller set-up a shill account because he thought the price was too low, or more likely:

This book will be sold as NM "RAW" sometime in the future.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Did the seller tell you directly he will be selling it raw??? Or are you just assuming he is a scumbag?? Why don't you e-mail him and tell him what you think instead of blasting him behind his back... 893naughty-thumb.gif