• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1982 SDCC Con - OA Art pics

10 posts in this topic

Not sure if everyone has seen this link from the Comics General Board but Alan Light's pics of the 1982 SDCC are on Flickr.

Just went through the 160 plus pics and found some awesome OA centric ones:

Frank Miller (or so they think) sketching! And the sign behind him has pricing for OA - $20-$125! :tonofbricks:

Oh and if its a drawing you want please no X-Men requests other than Kitty lol

Art Auctions #1

Art Auctions #2

Carl Barks - wonder how much that painting's sticker price was?

Lots of other fuin stuff to see. Check it out

Don't think Alan Light told us which hotel SDCC was held in back in 1982? Think my 1st SDCC was around 1989 at El Cortez when Mile High would unload an 18 wheeler full of his mafia horde comics.

There seems to be 1 pic of Alan Light holding a stack of TBG OA covers. Incredibly clear pre-digital pics.

Don't think Alan Light told us which hotel SDCC was held in back in 1982? Think my 1st SDCC was around 1989 at El Cortez when Mile High would unload an 18 wheeler full of his mafia horde comics.

There seems to be 1 pic of Alan Light holding a stack of TBG OA covers. Incredibly clear pre-digital pics.

I bet this '82 con was at the Cortez as well since the first one was at the El Cortez.

Frank Miller (or so they think) sketching! And the sign behind him has pricing for OA - $20-$125! :tonofbricks:

As a followup to this, Ed Brubaker recounts that the sign actually belonged to John Byrne. Via The Beat (http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/blog/2007/08/15/what-san-diego-was-like-in-1982/):

# Ed Brubaker Says:

08/15/07 at 7:37 pm

That’s actually John Byrne’s sign. I was standing about two feet from that scene, watching Frank Miller sketch, right then. Byrne’s sign said he didn’t want to draw any X-Men but Kitty (which you can see). The sign Frank Miller put up, after he looked at Byrne’s sign and smiled, said he would draw ANY X-Men, except for Kitty, and I think he even undercut John’s price, but I can’t be sure.

I remember that vividly, because John Byrne eventually noticed Frank’s sign and tore his own down and left. Not exactly in a huff, but not enjoying Miller’s joke.

It was weird how seeing all those pictures made me vividly remember that convention year. I was 16 that year, and it was my 9th Comic Con already.

Funny stuff! And cool to find out that Ed Brubaker truly is the fanboy who made good.

Interesting. When did the Con move to the Civic Center? My first SDCC was in 1990 when it was still at the old Civic Center on B Street. In 1991, they moved to the brand new Convention Center where it has been held ever since. Back in 1991, the convention was in only two halls. It had not yet morphed into what it is today. My funniest memory from 1991 was the quilting convention that was concurrent at the same time as the Comic Con. I do not think that the older ladies in attendance at the quilting convention were quite prepared to share the space and experience with the Comic Con folks....

Ciao!

PRC