• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Announces New Signature Series Program

170 posts in this topic

I think I like this idea.

I think a framed sketch with the yellow label would great next to a framed book of the same artist.

This going to be going on at Fallcon in MN next month?

I think that depends on Jonjesper!

Oh is he a witness?

I just thought he really loved his SS books.

lol:tonofbricks:

jon, you really need to advertise more :baiting:

I think a framed sketch with the yellow label would great next to a framed book of the same artist.

Oh is he a witness?

lol:tonofbricks:

jon, you really need to advertise more :baiting:

:sorry:

I just think that certain artists will know how much their sketch is going to fetch once its slabbed, and they're going to adjust their prices accordingly. My two favorite Walking Dead artists come to mind for some reason as I type this. :eek:

Both Tony Moore and Charlie Adlard charge way more for convention sketches.

Tony Moore's rate is 80.00

Charlie Adlard starts at 100 I believe. they get that much aswell. I don't think either of them care about what CGC is doing.

Their art is worth that and they know.

yeah. the artwork they put out speaks for itself.

- see the Fallen Son Tony Moore sketch!

Got it. I obviously have a thing for the artwork. Look at my CAF. I do think they will "care about what CGC is doing" once they find out, and I think 80 and 100 will change. That's all I'm saying. My point is that IMO this "product" is going to raise prices (for better or for worse, we are all going to still pay them). IMO every sketch, whether in is destined for a slab or not, is going to cost more. Hopefully I'm completely wrong. :wishluck:

I just think that certain artists will know how much their sketch is going to fetch once its slabbed, and they're going to adjust their prices accordingly. My two favorite Walking Dead artists come to mind for some reason as I type this. :eek:

Both Tony Moore and Charlie Adlard charge way more for convention sketches.

Tony Moore's rate is 80.00

Charlie Adlard starts at 100 I believe. they get that much aswell. I don't think either of them care about what CGC is doing.

Their art is worth that and they know.

yeah. the artwork they put out speaks for itself.

- see the Fallen Son Tony Moore sketch!

Got it. I obviously have a thing for the artwork. Look at my CAF. I do think they will "care about what CGC is doing" once they find out, and I think 80 and 100 will change. That's all I'm saying. My point is that IMO this "product" is going to raise prices (for better or for worse, we are all going to still pay them). IMO every sketch, whether in is destined for a slab or not, is going to cost more. Hopefully I'm completely wrong. :wishluck:

i just looked at your CAF. WOW!!! i hope you didn't think i was being rude or anything like that previously.

i agree with you in the sense that i fear that this will change the prices on con sketches. and i do hope that you are wrong not just for the sake of wrong vs right, but for the sake of collectors and tight wallets.

After Kevin explaining the process, I am down for it. I was just worried about not being able to talk to the artist (if I am there) and asking what I wanted and being able to see it before its graded (incase its fugly) . As long as the art remains at the table I can still make these decisions which is great . Also, its a given that the cost of slabbing a board will be substantially cheaper than sending in a book to get graded for obvious reasons.

Is this something that would be available onsite if CGC is doing moderns or is that something that you have no spoken about as of yet?

After Kevin explaining the process, I am down for it. I was just worried about not being able to talk to the artist (if I am there) and asking what I wanted and being able to see it before its graded (incase its fugly) . As long as the art remains at the table I can still make these decisions which is great . Also, its a given that the cost of slabbing a board will be substantially cheaper than sending in a book to get graded for obvious reasons.

Is this something that would be available onsite if CGC is doing moderns or is that something that you have no spoken about as of yet?

I don't know for sure, but I would say that if the artwork is back board sized or smaller it could probably be encapsulated at a show where CGC is doing on-site moderns. Anything bigger than that but smaller than a magazine back board would have to go in a mag holder back in Sarasota.

I do agree with George on some arts, but I think I will enjoy this.

What would the label say?

The Deathlok sketch reads:

Deathlok by Mike Perkins

SIGNED AND SKETCH BY MIKE PERKINS ON 5/1/07 FOR THE HERO INITIATIVE

Where the grade normally is listed it says

CGC

AUTHENTIC

Oh is he a witness?

:olol

2. Alot of artists might go "Steranko" and require a personalization to prevent easy flips.

I request personalizations. I like them. I also get all of my sketches in a book, as I will never sell them.

I have never seen the point in buying a sketch from a 3rd party. Half the fun for me is meeting and talking to the artists.

This is nothing more then another "service" offered by CGC that will not be utilized by me.

I guess I may not fit the mold of "sketch collector". I'm more into meeting the artists then anything. Getting a sketch is more of a tool to help me remember who I've met then anything else. I like looking at my sketch book from time to time and taking a walk down memory lane.

"Oh, I remember him, really friendly guy, very personable."

Or sometimes (but not often):

"Oh yea, not very nice, kind of uptight."

I rarely even request a specific character. I usually ask them to sketch their favorite character. I find that taking that approach, along with requesting a personalization often results in a nicer, more thoughtful sketch.

I guess I may not fit the mold of "sketch collector". I'm more into meeting the artists then anything. Getting a sketch is more of a tool to help me remember who I've met then anything else. I like looking at my sketch book from time to time and taking a walk down memory lane.

"Oh, I remember him, really friendly guy, very personable."

Or sometimes (but not often):

"Oh yea, not very nice, kind of uptight."

I rarely even request a specific character. I usually ask them to sketch their favorite character. I find that taking that approach, along with requesting a personalization often results in a nicer, more thoughtful sketch.

I have a friend who did the same thing, Artists Choice he always said, just loved saying it to everyone...So we meet Perez, I get a full color Batgirl and he does the Artists Choice and ends up with Sophie from Meridian (Crossgen where Perez was at). Since that time, he has decided to request certain characters with reference like me, as Sophie became irrelevent quickly....

I am not sure on the personalization though as often it comes after the sketch, so no real chance of a less thoughtful sketch. Again these are from my experiences...

I should clarify, I was not suggesting there be a grade, I was questioning why CGC is now in the encapsulation/authenticating business when there is no grading involved.

Think of it as a natural extension of Signature Series services.

Why not just provide an encapsulation service so that everyone can just submit their OA, It can just serve to protect the OA. I doubt anyone would object to that.