• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Superman" Silver Age Census

41 posts in this topic

Does anyone have a clue why there are so few Silver Age issues of Superman graded? I check finished auctions on ebay and there are very few. The CGC Census reflects the same lack of numbers. For example, I have a Superman 123 (Supergirl prototype) in CGC 7.5. It is the second highest and less than 10 copies graded. It is lack of interest? These books sold hundreds of thousands in their heyday.

Probably due to a combination of a few reasons.

There are not a great many collectors of early silver age DC books

The value of SA DC books does not warrant the costs of grading the book

The books from this period do not exist in quantity in High grade

the DC books from this period are often in long time collectors collectons are they are not in the practice of slabbing their books as they do not intend on selling.

if your talking about 1950's to early 60's issues of Supes or any DCs for that matter,

Superheroes were in a decline at that period and other genres were popular, (horror, funny animal, teen romance, westerns). so print runs were lower.

plus I would say that collectors are not 'slabbing' them unless they feel they would grade at least 8.5 or higher.

Probably due to a combination of a few reasons.

There are not a great many collectors of early silver age DC books

The value of SA DC books does not warrant the costs of grading the book

The books from this period do not exist in quantity in High grade

the DC books from this period are often in long time collectors collectons are they are not in the practice of slabbing their books as they do not intend on selling.

Sounds like a good set of answers to me.

I dunno. I just have not seen any market for high-grade Supes from the late 50's/early 60s in recent years. Only the issues with random Legion appearances seem to be the exception.

Even last year's Superman Returns movie seemed to do nothing to stimulate this market. High grade Bronze Supes, on the other hand, seem to be much more popular (then again, they are a lot cheaper then the early Silver).

Bill

I do think it fair to say that there haven't been many high grade Supes on the market the last few years -- at least not many of the pre-1960 variety -- which is not quite the same thing as saying that the demand is dead. An Action 242 in VF+ sold for around 5k this year so there is life in these issues yet.

I've seen a number of nice early silver (non-key) Supes offered from time to time over the last few years, but the prices they sold at (if they sold at all) were not spectacular. I just dont think the demand is there for these books.

Personally, those Wayne Boring/Curt Swan books are my favorite Superman issues.

I do think it fair to say that there haven't been many high grade Supes on the market the last few years -- at least not many of the pre-1960 variety -- which is not quite the same thing as saying that the demand is dead. An Action 242 in VF+ sold for around 5k this year so there is life in these issues yet.

I think it was a few grand more than that actually. I havent seen more than a handful of Supermans from 101 thru 140 higher than a slabbed 8.0 in years. The books just arent for sale. There have been some 9.4s in the high 200s with asking prices from 400 - 800 but I dont recall too many brisk sales.

But the earlier issues that did appear sold pretty good I think. Superman is a long run and most collectors are put off by it. But then again, it doesnt stop them from going after other long Marvel runs etc. So, I guess SUpes is just a boring boy scout after all.

I think it was a few grand more than that actually. I havent seen more than a handful of Supermans from 101 thru 140 higher than a slabbed 8.0 in years. The books just arent for sale. There have been some 9.4s in the high 200s with asking prices from 400 - 800 but I dont recall too many brisk sales.

But the earlier issues that did appear sold pretty good I think. Superman is a long run and most collectors are put off by it. But then again, it doesnt stop them from going after other long Marvel runs etc. So, I guess SUpes is just a boring boy scout after all.

What did the 242 go for?

I'd be happy if they stayed dead for a few years but I'm pretty sure there would be enthusiasm if an auction house put a run of 9.0 to 9.4 copies up for sale.

it may also be that the SA Marvels are the begining of most of that company's characters, as to where the 1950s DCs are 10-15 years removed from their inception on those books. which would be GA books, and the DC GA market has been doing very well for years, in all grades.

plus their are many more SA Marvels to be had in High Grade than DCs, wasn't it our own Flying Donut in his last years OS market report who said " there is almost no point in owning a mid-grade SA book " implying that the SA market is ruled by the High Grade collector.

also, being scarce (either in grade, or in general) isn't always a good thing for a title, it can also hurt the collectibility. Obadiah Oldbuck anyone ??

to the best of my knowledge the Action #242 in 8.5 on eBay ended at $6,500 or so. I'd like to see what would happen if a copy came up for sale in 9.4.

yeah. Marvels numbering was always more attractive to a collector, with all runs starting at #1 not in the low hundreds or two hundreds..

Except of course for Captain America, Hulk, Thor and Dr. Strange. :baiting:

In Norse numerals, 83 IS number 1! and 101 is just like #1.

this old chestnut may not be the strongest reason for Marvels abundance, but theres no argument that Marvel was all brand new and DC had been ongoing for 20 years even with some titles staring over. that better, counselor?

In all seriousness, I've always felt Cap #100 was considered less valuable than Iron Man #1 just because it was a #100 rather than a #1. On the other hand, Hulk #102 has always been more valuable than Submariner #1, but that's probably more due to the fact that Subby just has never been that popular a title.

I thought that Iron Man went for more because it's a #1 and it's the best of the four covers that you just mentioned.

I thought that Iron Man went for more because it's a #1 and it's the best of the four covers that you just mentioned.

I don't think the cover is anything special. (shrug)

I guess we'd have to run a poll to see but I'm pretty sure about it a well-regarded cover, especially when compared to the others.

I don't think the cover is anything special. (shrug)

I guess we'd have to run a poll to see but I'm pretty sure about it a well-regarded cover, especially when compared to the others.

I think the covers of all of those 1968 debut issues were pretty disappointing, although I think most would agree that Hulk 102 is the worst.