• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does your family/friends think about you collecting comics

89 posts in this topic

Not sure if this was posted before but what typical reaction do you get from friends and family when they find out you:

1) Collect

2) Spend large sums of money on your collection

3) Fly around the country to buy comics/ have dinner with fellow collectors, etc.

my mother blabs about how I sell them and how some are "quite valuable" leaving people with the impression that I have an inventory of Action 1s, Spidey 1s, Hulk 1s, etc.

it's her way of justifying it in her head.

My wife puts up with it and actually supports my hobby to a degree. All my Gifts are usually in Comics.

My kids tease me about when I plan on kicking the bucket so they can sell them all.

My freinds think it is weird but cool.

My extended family think I am wasting time and money.

As for travel and meeting up with other collectors... i dont do that. Too busy with work.

my EX-wife was always opposed to the idea of my spending money on comics.

my girlfriend is very supportive of my hobby and has bought me many big books for gifts.

my few friends really enjoy looking at my collection.

my family doesn't get it but thinks it's better than alcohol and fast women. :eek:

Most people I know think it's ridiculous. It really doesn't help when you see, and smell, other comic collectors at shows. Truely embarassing and disgusting.

I was nervous to tell my wife when we first started dating. Though she thinks it's nerdy, she's okay with it.

Now I don't mind what people think.

Pat

my EX-wife was always opposed to the idea of my spending money on comics.

my girlfriend is very supportive of my hobby and has bought me many big books for gifts.

my few friends really enjoy looking at my collection.

my family doesn't get it but thinks it's better than alcohol and fast women. :eek:

Lets not get too hasty about the fast women, they need lovin too. lol My wife just smiles and says keep it in one area. My daughters just roll their eyes. I'm slowly convincing my teenage son, I think he's just worried about being teased. I just tell everyone don't be hatin.

My daughter thinks I should be commited, my husband looks at the covers and threatens to find something to collect, but he has no time...(and he doesn't read unless it's number related)

Oh for the flying...he looks for baseball game to attend where I go, so he doesn't mind at all... :cloud9:

My in-laws are more understanding since my father-in-law owns a MASSIVE collection of baseball cards and signatures. That, and my wife has a real taste for J.Crew clothing so... ot evens out. I think my mother and step find it odd for me to be doing still, but they're old and crazy. Again, it evens out. :)

And as for traveling to acquire comics, I can't say I've done that. Between my LCSs and here, I've got my bases pretty nicely covered.

No poll, express yourself.
insane.gif

lol lol lol

Anyway,

My family knows I'm a comic geek so no reaction there except from my dad who is always telling me to sell them all. He's been telling me that for 20 years. He doesn't get it.

My girlfriend (future wife) rolls her eyes at me and tolerates it somewhat. She wouldn't shed a tear if I sold everything off (actually, she would jump for joy) but even she knows I need a hobby of some kind. (shrug)

I don't reveal to strangers, or even potential friends that I collect and read comics. Not right away anyhow.

I have never flown anywhere to go to a comic con. I stick to local cons and buy online.

No poll, express yourself.
insane.gif

lol lol lol

Anyway,

My family knows I'm a comic geek so no reaction there except from my dad who is always telling me to sell them all. He's been telling me that for 20 years. He doesn't get it.

My girlfriend (future wife) rolls her eyes at me and tolerates it somewhat. She wouldn't shed a tear if I sold everything off (actually, she would jump for joy) but even she knows I need a hobby of some kind. (shrug)

I don't reveal to strangers, or even potential friends that I collect and read comics. Not right away anyhow.

I have never flown anywhere to go to a comic con. I stick to local cons and buy online.

Completely states my situation as well. (worship)