• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does your family/friends think about you collecting comics

89 posts in this topic

Not sure if this was posted before but what typical reaction do you get from friends and family when they find out you:

1) Collect

2) Spend large sums of money on your collection

3) Fly around the country to buy comics/ have dinner with fellow collectors, etc.

1) Wife used to think it was a big waste of money until I sold off an Avengers 1 to help my mom fix her house and it didnt have to come out of our money. My friends think it is cool, a little wierd for the amount I spend on some of the books, but cool. One of my best buddies is getting into reading trades. He has been sick about the last month and has read almost all of my meager stash of trades. My kid is 4 so he doesnt know. Although he does know Spidey, Hulk, and a few others.

My kids at school think its kinda neat and weird at the same time. Although ive got a few who read some of the trades that I have at school. :banana:

2)Dont ask, dont tell. Wife knows I spend hundreds on books but doesnt nag me. Plus the money is spent from either a part time job, my money, or proceeds from sales of other books. Buddies know I spent big money but not exactly. Although most wouldnt have an issue with it.

3) Most of the time when I tell someone (or my classes) that I have driven to Baltimore or flown to Chicago for a show they say wow, thats cool. Then they ask how big the show is and how many people are there and stuff.

My wife loves the fact it gets me out of her hair. My In-Laws wouldn't pay 50 cents for a 9.8 AF 15... Now my wife loves it. She buys a few, sells a few. Even took a eye on grading them. My friends think it's a wise investment... Stocks and Bonds are tricky. But don't screw with Americana... Mom, Apple Pie, Coke, Super Hero's....

Not sure if this was posted before but what typical reaction do you get from friends and family when they find out you:

1) Collect

Action 1 worth 1 million + and early ASM's over 100K..what's not to like.

Sell to spend...but still get a strange glance on occasion. Family and Friends are good with it.

3) Fly around the country to buy comics/ have dinner with fellow collectors, etc.

Wife thinks it's strange to want to talk to a strange comic collector in person...so I don't do it too often. Don't fly out too often either for that matter.

My parents and friends are supportive. I think my parents tend to see it as an investment only. They don't understand that I really don't care about selling them. For example, when I tried to explain to my father that I wanted to buy some high priced books, he asked why I just didn't sell the ones that weren't worth much to raise money to buy the high priced ones.

At first alot of my friends called me a geek, but as the they go into movies to see movies like Sin City and 300 and I tell them that they are also comic books first, then they are speechless.

My parents and my close friends think its cool that I have something I am passionate about.

I have flown to WW Chicago and I am flying back home for the second year in row for the NY CC because even though I now live in San Diego, I get more excited for this show than SDCC!!!

1) He think it is strange a guy of 26 years old buy many spider man and batman comic and toys...

2) He think it is crazy to place thousand and thousand $$ in this hobby

3) i dont travel other country i live in canada and i live too far of the big city for go to the CON

1) Collect

first comic book collecting phase...1988-1994

1-I was single, young ,and care free....most of my friends (similarly aged) thought I was nuts!

2-see #1...

3-see #1...nuts, nuts, and nuts!

second comic book collecting phase...2005-present

1-married with family, relatively successful, financially sound....now my friends and family all of a sudden "understand"

2-it is all disposable income, so not much is thought of it, but the liquid value is substantial, and when we have parties or whatever, and folks view the collection, they "understand" batman, but are amazed when you tell them, this Tec 27 is worth $x....and, then they ask, but what can you sell it for, and you tell them $x , and they salivate!

3-in todays americana pop culture media age, it is generally understand and even respected!

rick

My family (brothers, parents) still think I purchased my ASM #1 CGC 8.0 for a little over a grand. If they knew the truth, they'd probably pass out! If I sell a book for a profit, then they wonder why I just don't sell the entire collection. In their minds, the only logical reason why I'm still holding to these books is to make a profit down the line. Otherwise, they just think I'm nuts!

:devil:

My primary family seems to make great joy about discussing my collecting comics with relatives. Whenever the conversations take place, they are a bit uncomfortable. Their idea of collecting comics is obviously in the dollar range, while I am collecting at a whole different level than that.

Nuts isn't exactly a word I hear people use. Obsessed is a term I most often hear.

Lets put it this way, I have to run to the door when the mail man or ups shows up otherwise I will hear it for an hour. Then I hear I want to see the bank statement.(from my wife)

My brother is a fellow collector so my Mom likes the fact that we hang out because of it.He always comes with me to the Cons. Might be because I pay fo everything tho hm

My wife likes antique dolls so she had the collecting bug already. She started reading some of my trades and I'm happy to say she is now a new member of our hobby. She doesn't dig everything I collect of course (No interest in my SA collected trades).

1) Collect - Wife is cool with it. She don't understand it but she knew I was a collector every since we first met.

2) Spend large sums of money on your collection - I don't smoke, do drugs or drink (well very little) so she don't mind me spending some. I always take the household expenses into consideration and I spend within my means. I am also more of a comic reader then a collector. I am always buying-reading-selling, I am always flipping comics to buy more comics, I have a revolving door collection haha.

3) Fly around the country to buy comics/ have dinner with fellow collectors, etc. - I don't