• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AMAZING SPIDEY 1 9.6

115 posts in this topic

I heard the $160K figure from Mega-J himself and DO believe it, based on the AF15 9.4 sale around the same time, of $87,000. $160K for a 9.6 makes all the sense in the world based on that, at that time, and is NOT such a stretch of the imagination. This Spiderman run is definitely $.5Mil to $1Mil category stuff dependent upon who's BUYING this type of material at the moment as most issues probably represent the tippity-top region of the CGC census population.

Seems like someone who would want optimum price would hold out for a awhile until the next movie.

Why? Is there any guarantee that there be a huge run-up for the next movie? Hype strikes twice? Buyers follow movies like lemmings, even on a title that has had an unprecendented run-up and total media saturation over the past couple of years? I remember thinking that the Batman sequel would re-ignite the fire under those books, too..

The best time to sell these books was six months ago, not some time in the near future.

Well I agree that the Best time was right at the first movie but now is definitely not a great time - especially right before Christmas and only 3 months after the biggest comics sale in history! Heck, people are still paying off those credit card bills from the last show by the time this one comes up. That is why i think that either the seller needs the money or thinks there will be a further slide - maybe he thinks the 2nd movie will not hike up prices again. But i bet the 2nd X-men movie will and we will see for sure very soon!

Well certainly if they bought the books just to invest in them..but some of those books are probably irreplacable such as those early 9.8's so I'd have a hard time believing that someone who is actually a collector would be dropping a book like that. Anyways, there's a lot of great stuff in there..I may even get a 2nd shot at a decent Cap #1. smile.gif

Brian

Well certainly if they bought the books just to invest in them..but some of those books are probably irreplacable such as those early 9.8's so I'd have a hard time believing that someone who is actually a collector would be dropping a book like that.

I wouldn't and know lots of collectors with multiples of issues who are more than willing to sell off the 9.8 to the whackos and remain quite happy with the 9.6 or 9.4 (and buy a new car). Many times, the 9.6 they keep actually looks better too.

Truthfully, I think a collector is more apt to take a "sell the 9.8 and keep the 9.6" angle than an investor, since they realize it's just an arbitrary number, but that 0.2 is an increment that certain meatheads will pay an arm and a leg for.

I'd think the opposite would be the case. If I wanted the best ASM collection, I'd be going after the high numbers..and I would LOVE to have a one of a kind like that..truth be told I'd highly doubt anyone who's simply a collector would drop an early ASM in ultra high grade unless they had 2 of them, which the likelihood is very slim.

Brian

That depends on if you're a CGC collector or a comic collector. A few on here have mentioned buying CGC 9.X books as upgrades, only to find they looked worse than the ones currently in their possession. These books are usually sold off and the "better looking" comic is kept.

I know for a fact that if I owned several ASM #1's, in varying 9.4-9.6 condition, I'd trust my own judgement as to the "keeper", and assuming I wanted to sell off the rest, even get rid of a 9.6 instead of a 9.4.

Keep the best comic, not the highest grade.

Whew!

Holy smokes!

Is this speculated to be a one owner collection?

If so I think Josh Nathanson is a pretty good guess.

Although I know the owner of the 29 9.6 was at one time the same person that tried to sell the 122 9.8 and 33 9.8 on Ebay. Could very well be him.

Not that it matters I would just be very curious to hear their market thoughts.

I can't even imagine what some of these go for.

An 11 9.6!,

Gulp

M

Wow I completely missed seeing that..the highest I've ever seen was a 9.4 and that was once. That book is TOUGH. I don't even want to guess what that book goes for.

I'd guess this is a one-owner collection since they all came up at the same time.

Brian

Also, I'm not sure some of those books could look any better..that 9.9 is a keeper no matter who you are.

That's kind of a strange comment, considering we're talking about a comic that's coming up for sale. grin.gif

I also feel a bit sorry for people who only see a number when they look at a CGC comic, as that's what bankrupted a good many people during the first wave of graded coins and sportscards.

Keep your wits about you people and don't forget the cardinal rule of high-grade comics: What is 9.9 today, may not be 9.9 tomorrow.

Are you looking at these books in question? They're gorgeous. The point regarding my comment of the 9.9 being a keeper is that if it was bought by someone who was an ASM fan..he would be keeping it..as it's almost 99 percent likely that's the best copy of that book ever. Obviously money is a factor, but you could say the same thing about ASM 1 or AF 15. People who are actually collecting will keep the book, regardless.

Brian

The point regarding my comment of the 9.9 being a keeper is that if it was bought by someone who was an ASM fan..he would be keeping it..as it's almost 99 percent likely that's the best copy of that book ever.

Correction, it's highly likely to at least match the highest grade that CGC gives that specific title/issue.

In ten years, who knows what criteria will determine the "best known copy"?

Brian,

Funny thing about that 19 is that it has a distinctive yellow tint to it's cover. Almost like a transfer stain. Heritage's scanner amplifies it considerably , but book in hand is "yellow". My 9.4 looks completely different with it's bone white cover.

Now way in hell I would pay $20k for that 9.9.

Just my humble opinion.

M