• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AMAZING SPIDEY 1 9.6

115 posts in this topic

The owner of the ASM collection is a Doctor who was quite active on Ebay about a year ago - filling in gaps - I recognize a few of my ex-books, which is how I know this - I think more people on this Board would know him by his Ebay user ID, but I'm going to refrain from naming him - I assume if he is not given credit in catalogue (and I don't know that he isn't) I assume he would like to keep anonymous. Also as far as the question whether a Silver-Age book has brought over $100,000 I believe Mark Wilson's Showcase 4 (the copy CGC used for so long as the 'featured' 'comic of the month' for about three months on their web-site) brought in excess of that, although I think not sold.

The owner of the ASM collection is a Doctor who was quite active on Ebay about a year ago

NO WAY - it's him??? Are you sure? I didn't know he was so big into the early (#1-100) Spideys, though I noticed he did set many of the all-time record purchase price levels for a lot of the early Bronze Spidey issues so it doesn't surprise me.

That's too bad if he's selling out for financial reasons now - I dealt with him once and he seems to be a decent sort. I always thought the guy must have been the biggest Spidey fan ever to be paying the prices he was paying...I hope he's not just a non-fan or a casual fan who was burned by the wrongheaded advice of some amateur financial advisor.

By the way, I'm not giving up his name either, so DON'T ASK ME. Though I'm sure I'm not the only one on the Forum who is going to recognize him from Homer's clues...

Gene

I do not think that is the guy - I do not know the name but from what i know, the guy selling at Heritage did not buy most of the stuff himself - he had someone do the buying kind of like a financial advisor, and most of it was bought within the last 10 months. I know that for sure on the 1 9.6 , and i know what was paid for the book.

It is definitely him, but I wouldn't think he is selling for financial reasons - I don't know where that came from - Although the turning of any investment or collection into cash is 'financial' - I think only he would know his actual reasons - Some of the books I sold him were sold because I had other priorities, and certainly not because I had lost faith in the title or the market - His reasons could be similar - Anyway it's a nice way to get your collection catalogued for all time..........Surely nothing pleases the true collector more than to show off their collection - and the beautifully produced and saved Heritage catalogues do provide quite a forum....

Well who ever it is, he is selling due to financial difficulties - I know that for a fact. There was a long range plan for the books and it was not to resell them 6 months after initially buying them during the movie hype. I understand the main reason Heritage was chosen was not because of any catalog but because an advance was needed on the books asap.

Talk about speculation! Funny to watch you guys guess and hint at the identity and reasons for selling. Here would be mine if I owned such a collection. I think the time to strike with this is now. If you wait until movie release, every Tom, D.I.C.K, and Darth is going to unload as well trying to whore their wares, a la greggy (G-man 2) style. Do it well before movie in the hopes that Tom, D.I.C.K, and Darth will pick up these rare high grades in a speculative frenzy, dreaming of what they can make using one of these books as advertising for their other items scheduled for auction/sale around Spidey 2 movie time....

Overanalysis just drags this out. Screw protecting the identity. If you know and hint at it, tell us all, Otherwise, quit teasing and shut up...no one likes a tease...person_without_enough_empathyz...

BTW, everything has a price. You may be the most diehard collector of something, but if a crazed spec with mad money waves an outrageous amunt at you, you'll drop your drawers, bend over and sell your book on the spot! Don't tell me different....it's all about the Benjamins, baby!

do not know the name but from what i know, the guy selling at Heritage did not buy most of the stuff himself - he had someone do the buying kind of like a financial advisor

Well, this actually fits the profile, because I didn't see him bidding on so many of the early SA Spideys himself, so it makes sense that he had somebody else do it for him. And with the exorbitant amount of money he was throwing around on the auctions I saw him bidding on, I am not surprised in the least that he has/had the financial resources to retain someone to accumulate all the early Spideys in such high grade for him.

but if a crazed spec with mad money waves an outrageous amunt at you, you'll drop your drawers, bend over and sell your book on the spot! Don't tell me different...

Doesn't sound like this is the case here - anyone who would pay such stratospheric sums to build such a magnificent collection would not turn around and sell right now because he thinks he can flip them to specs for a small profit. As Clobberin's inside source says, he's selling out under duress.

No matter how high the bidding goes for these books, keep in mind that he undoubtedly paid more for them earlier this year. On some of his Bronze purchases, I have documented transactions where he paid 800% to 900% more than current depressed market prices. Granted, SA prices haven't fallen nearly as much, but there is no #@&*$ way he's turning a profit on this, especially after figuring in the vig from Heritage.

Gene

but there is no #@&*$ way he's turning a profit on this, especially after figuring in the vig from Heritage.

"the vig" is not a phrase I would have expected to hear out of this forum...

"the vig" is not a phrase I would have expected to hear out of this forum

That's because that word has burned some of us many times over. Damn the College Football season of '98 !!!!! I'll never play parlay cards again! frown.gif

Chris