• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay seller: Greatamericancollector

39 posts in this topic

I have been around for a while, and rarely have problems with eBay sellers, as I do my homework thoroughly.......but I must have missed something on this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300150755508&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=020

I made payment by PayPal within 12 hours of the auction ending, and after 7 days I received my 1st of 2 emails....this one states that he is very sorry, and just realized my item had not been shipped yet, and that it will go out the the next day.....which it didn't / it was sent 2 days after that ( so I'm told...I have not received it yet...this was yesterday ). I can deal with a delay in shipping...but just want the truth. At this point, my antenna is way up for having a problem.

email #2 -- I received last night...went something like this "oh Alex just realized that this book is a VG, not a FINE, so he is going to send you a $200 refund to make up for the condition difference"

Needless to say this book will be returned the second I receive it, and if i don't get an immediate, full refund thru PayPal by this seller, a claim will be filed to force a refund, and a complaint will be filed with eBay,...not that they care or ever do anything to protect buyers.

PS...I hope he is a member of the Boards, so he could dare refute anything I am claiming here. Watch out guys

Steve

:insane:

After 8 years on eBay and having spent a lot of time on their boards i know all the scams, loopholes and cheats. My favourite is my secret way of removing your first neg (though i haven't used it because i've never gotten one i know a lot of people who verified it). In this instance if he does a chargeback paypal will not refund a cent as the only thing they pay up for is non receipt of goods and the seller has to prove that with online tracking.

:insane:

After 8 years on eBay and having spent a lot of time on their boards i know all the scams, loopholes and cheats. My favourite is my secret way of removing your first neg (though i haven't used it because i've never gotten one i know a lot of people who verified it). In this instance if he does a chargeback paypal will not refund a cent as the only thing they pay up for is non receipt of goods and the seller has to prove that with online tracking.

But can't he simply claim 'goods not as sold'. As sounds like the guys going for the oldest trick, 'bait and switch'.

Surely ebay automaticlally favours the bidder when the seller is trying to pull this kind of stunt??? (shrug)

Sadly not. The seller could send an empty box with online tracking and i would say that with 99.9% certainty they would side with him. On the flip side if you sent payment in 2 (or more) parts then paypal will side with you as the person sending the payment will have broken their code. Of course if you accept payment in two parts that leaves you vulnerable.

Sadly not. The seller could send an empty box with online tracking and i would say that with 99.9% certainty they would side with him. On the flip side if you sent payment in 2 (or more) parts then paypal will side with you as the person sending the payment will have broken their code. Of course if you accept payment in two parts that leaves you vulnerable.

So assuming this seller doesn't use tracking, our guys best hope is to say he didn't receive the book??

Thats truly bizarre if that is the case, but at the same time something to be aware of for us regular user's of the bay (thumbs u

So assuming this seller doesn't use tracking, our guys best hope is to say he didn't receive the book??

Thats truly bizarre if that is the case, but at the same time something to be aware of for us regular user's of the bay (thumbs u

Yes, that is the case. Basically choosing the lesser of two evils. It's wrong to say you didn't receive something but if the seller won't refund you and is clearly playing games then you have to choose what to do and while it's not the moral thing to do it's paypal's fault for backing honest people into a corner. Saying it's simply overgraded will get you nothing :sorry:

Yes, that is the case. Basically choosing the lesser of two evils. It's wrong to say you didn't receive something but if the seller won't refund you and is clearly playing games then you have to choose what to do and while it's not the moral thing to do it's paypal's fault for backing honest people into a corner. Saying it's simply overgraded will get you nothing :sorry:

Well I hope our guy bid according to the scan...which did look dubious, particularly the back page... scanning looked like it could of been hinding all sorts of grading misdeameanors.

So for the seller to say it's such and such grade after the sale does kinda reinforce the worst for when our guy does finally receive the book.

Think in this situation, fighting fire with fire could be the only avenue thats going to give any recourse. e.g cheat, or be cheated is the moral code of scam-bay.

Thanks.

Does the spine and bottom edge look whiter than the rest of the back cover?

84e5_12.JPG

Could be an optical illusion, or it could also be a reconstructed, color touched spine and bottom edge.

That's no optical illusion - it's either been cleaned and reassembled or the side edges of the cover have been trimmed.

I'd go with the former as cover cleaning does lead to slight shrinkage.

I have been around for a while, and rarely have problems with eBay sellers, as I do my homework thoroughly.......but I must have missed something on this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300150755508&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=020

I made payment by PayPal within 12 hours of the auction ending, and after 7 days I received my 1st of 2 emails....this one states that he is very sorry, and just realized my item had not been shipped yet, and that it will go out the the next day.....which it didn't / it was sent 2 days after that ( so I'm told...I have not received it yet...this was yesterday ). I can deal with a delay in shipping...but just want the truth. At this point, my antenna is way up for having a problem.

email #2 -- I received last night...went something like this "oh Alex just realized that this book is a VG, not a FINE, so he is going to send you a $200 refund to make up for the condition difference"

Needless to say this book will be returned the second I receive it, and if i don't get an immediate, full refund thru PayPal by this seller, a claim will be filed to force a refund, and a complaint will be filed with eBay,...not that they care or ever do anything to protect buyers.

PS...I hope he is a member of the Boards, so he could dare refute anything I am claiming here. Watch out guys

Steve

I think you're jumping the gun a bit on this one if you're assuming the guy is scamming you. First of all, his feedback is excellent, so I'd take him at his word, i.e. that he's having second thoughts about his grading. I don't think he should have assumed that you'd be happy with a VG and $200...he should offer a full refund. But he'll likely do that if you ask.

Second, I'd wait until you see the book. It looks pretty good in the picture, except there's a possibility of water damage on the back, and some small tears. Who knows, it may be close to a Fine and the guy is just doubting himself. (shrug)

Third, if it came to making a Paypal claim, I agree with the other posters that in general you're unlikely to win a dispute over a grade, EXCEPT that in this case you have an email from the guy flatly stating that the item is not in the grade advertised. I'd think you could win that one, if it came down to it.

And fourth...I'll give you $699 for the book if it doesn't have extensive water damage on the back!

That's no optical illusion - it's either been cleaned and reassembled or the side edges of the cover have been trimmed.

This looks very similar to books I've seen that had a spine split repaired with seals and possibly some fills. The bottom edge may have had some chips filled and/or tears sealed. Then the affected area is color touched. The problem is the white CT doesn't match the offwhite color of the original paper.

This looks very similar to books I've seen that had a spine split repaired with seals and possibly some fills. The bottom edge may have had some chips filled and/or tears sealed. Then the affected area is color touched. The problem is the white CT doesn't match the offwhite color of the original paper.

Definite possibility. He'll be able to tell once he gets the book!

Just a heads up. DON'T file a claim with paypal saying the book was over graded as you will get nothing but a fat charge for initiating the claim. If he refuses to accept a return then PM me.

I know someone who got a full paypal reimbursement because the book he bought was restored and the seller fought paypal all the way, saying the book was not restored.

Seller got his account frozen and buyer got his money back (partially)