• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How will the X-Men 2 movie affect the prices???

13 posts in this topic

I heard that a trailer for the upcoming X-Men 2 is gonna be rolling out sometime during the Thanksgiving movie season....

Any predictions on how it will affect the X-Men prices..if at all?

My wife works is working on it right now and from everything I have been able to read and see, all I can say is that it is going to be one helluv'a ride... Wow! look forward to one big massive x-men movie(and one us comic geeks are going to eat up with a spoon) I know the film-makers are really working to make us all happy and once again from what I can see it seems to be working. Good movie equals more interest in the comics.

It will go through the roof... Prepare now.

Bronzejunkie

It didn't seem to translate into more interest in comics after the first X-men movie. I guess I'm not in a bustling metropolis but Iowa certainly didn't see any major increases in comic collectors after X-men or Spiderman.

Brian

Thats strange Murph, cause everyone and their ferret went cukoo for coco-puffs out here on the west coast when Spidey hit. I remember X-men making a smaller splash but a a splash nonetheless... Remember this new X-men movie is in the neighbourhood of a $150 mil budget (double the budget of the last one) and they are going to soak every last avenue to promote the living [!@#%^&^] out of it so they don't lose the farm, much like Spidey this year. You are going to be seeing Wolverine snikity snick'n his claws across big-gulps and big macs across the country for a long time to come. Those images are going to rub off on the buying public and I am sure that it will mean an even more avid interest in the comics themselves... watch and see. It's going to be a much, MUCH bigger than the last movie.

Bronzejunkie

Well sure, I saw a ton of people going to the movies, just none of it translated into more collectors..I saw that it translated into more investors/speculators on eBay but I, at least, didn't see more people at any of the couple comic stores nor did the owners..must just be Iowa.

Brian

Well sure, I saw a ton of people going to the movies, just none of it translated into more collectors..I saw that it translated into more investors/speculators on eBay but I, at least, didn't see more people at any of the couple comic stores nor did the owners..must just be Iowa.

Nope, it's everywhere, as there was no noticeable sales increase on X-Men comics before or after the movie hit. The same with Spidey, though it sold a ton of DVDs, toys, video games and very soon.... DVDs. Thinking that people will see the movie (a visceral experience) and then go buy a paper comic to read is incredibly naive.

Video games are the natural link, and they're doign boffo business.

I do think speculation of X-Men back issues will run rampant, depending on the storyline and the characters. Beast and Nightcrawler are non-issues, since their first apps are in ultra-valuable issues anyway, but watch for some issue (like Avengers Annual 10 and Ms. Marvel 18) to sneak into the public eye.

The first X-Men movie is part of the reason I got back into comic collecting after a 10-year absence; the other half of the reason was my moving into a new house and bringing my comics out of storage. About a month after the movie, I went on a comic-hunt to almost every comic book shop in my home state of Virginia with the goal of getting a full run of the X-Men. I already had everything from 94-up from my childhood collecting, so the hunt was mostly for pre-1975 comics and upgrades to issues I had. I went to just over 40 stores total; this was before I discovered E-Bay.

At the time, I was buying high grade, but I really couldn't tell a VF from a NM yet, so many of the comics I bought ranged from 7.5 to 9.6. The answer I got more often than not when I asked store owners about their pre-1975 X-Men issues was that "you should've come a few weeks ago, somebody bought me out of all my old issues." At the end of my trip to all those stores, I had accumulated approximately 1/3 of the run between 1 and 93. I finished the rest of the run minus 2 issues on E-Bay last year.

The jump in Overstreet prices from 2000 to 2001 was about 40% across the board on all X-Men issues. Since 2001, the prices have been rather flat. If the special effects do great justice to the X-Men's powers, then all X-Men related merchandise should benefit, although not as much as from the first film.

Has anybody heard statistics from Marvel and/or Diamond about how the movies have affected sales of new issues?

The information that Diamond provides to stores is paltry at best, but according to the information that Krause compiles for Comics and Games Retailer, the Spidey titles are up about 30% over last year. The key thing here is isolating the variables, and the sales trend has been up ever since Straczynski took over Amazing with issue 30. There was a slight bump around movie time, but historically sales pick up from May to September anyway.

The first X-Men movie had virtually no impact on the ongoing title sales, in large part because the movie had little in common with the current publications. Casual fans who saw the movie and wandered into a shop would recognize less than 1/4 of the team members, which made it very frustrating for retailers. At least by the time Spidey came out we could point to the Ultimate line as being pretty close to the feel of the movie, then steer them to other material if interested.

As far as movie impact on back issue sales it's the exact same as the stock market. People buy the rumor and sell the fact. Liquidity picks up before the movie and prices jump on some speculated material, but things settle right back down as the results come in...

Although with the ASM movie you saw a 30 percent increase in readership, how much of that translates to the people coming back to the title after that ridiculous clone [!@#%^&^]? I recall hoards of people stopped reading Spiderman books after that rubbish.

Brian

I didn't say that it was up 30% from the Spider-Man movie, just that that was the sales jump from summer 2001 to summer 2002. I think most of that gain is the result of Straczynski's writing... The customers who came in after the movie were either looking for stuff like the movie (and bought Ultimate Spidey) or were looking for the Spidey stuff they used to read (and bought McFarlane stuff).

The jump from late 1999 is more like 135%. Further proof that no matter how cool a character may be, if the writing is not compelling no one is going to buy the book. I had more subscribers for Black Panther in 1999 than I did for Amazing. The Spidey titles were that bad. Now Spidey is back near the top of the charts, and Spawn is selling at Black Panther levels...