• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA BEST ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES POLL: RD.4

GA ARTISTS POLL  

219 members have voted

1. 1. GA ARTISTS POLL

87 posts in this topic

I didn't participate in any of the other rounds But I picked Frazetta, Schomburg, and Walt Kelly, these 3 artist were revolutionary.

Uh, your supposed to pick the ones you want OFF the list.

That's why I put in really big letters "VOTE OFF YOUR LEAST FAVORITE THREE ARTISTS" :makepoint:

Angelo

See, that's kind of what I mean. The threatened Spaceman I can readily understand. He's a "Stranger In A Strange Land", all about him new and possibly fatal situations.

Around his feet seem to be skeletons - a sure sign of danger. What could this peril be?

Then there is the threat. Aliens drawn in a "big-foot" style that just doesn't send a chill up my spine. They just look, well, goofy.

Spot on, Duffman! (thumbs u The goofy aliens makes the cover look like it was intended to be a parody of a sci-fi comic cover.

Wolverton works much better for me as a satire/humor/underground artist in the 60s-70s than a sci-fi artist in the GA.

Thoughts on seeing the voting results immediately: good/bad? yes/no? like/dislike?

Angelo

I like seeing the results as soon as I've voted. If people are going to be swayed by the opinions presented in the body of the poll then so be it. Debates can generate light as well as heat.

Just my 10c

Thoughts on seeing the voting results immediately: good/bad? yes/no? like/dislike?

Angelo

I like seeing the results as soon as I've voted. If people are going to be swayed by the opinions presented in the body of the poll then so be it. Debates can generate light as well as heat.

Just my 10c

I don't understand the controversy, since you can't see the results before you vote, and people could be swayed by opinions in the posts regardless of which way we do it.

In this poll, my opinions are definitely being swayed by the posts, since I'm learning as I go. I'm interested in seeing Kamen, Kurtzman, and Schomburg, if anyone has the time to post them. Still making up my mind...

Wolverton works much better for me as a satire/humor/underground artist in the 60s-70s than a sci-fi artist in the GA.

Probably why I like his stuff so much - it was ahead of it's time ;) .

sp3d.jpg

See, that's kind of what I mean. The threatened Spaceman I can readily understand. He's a "Stranger In A Strange Land", all about him new and possibly fatal situations.

Around his feet seem to be skeletons - a sure sign of danger. What could this peril be?

Then there is the threat. Aliens drawn in a "big-foot" style that just doesn't send a chill up my spine. They just look, well, goofy.

I actually had to look hard at this cover due to the spaceships and rocket trails zooming away in the background. The way Wolverton has drawn them I thought at first they were some strange antennae attached to the "monster's" head. They do seem to attach to about the same point on two different heads.

Anyway, it's all just funnybooks, and I did like his "Ugliest Women In the World" series.

At least then I knew he was trying to be amusing.

Good analysis. Wolverton didn't get my vote yet, but he will before the 10 finalists.

I also agree about the spaceships and rocket trails placement. I first saw them as giant arrows in the monsters' heads and was trying to figure out where they came from.

I'd give Powerhouse Pepper higher marks, but I don't have any story scans. Here are a couple of covers, and two more here. "Ugliest Women" and later Plop work, I liked less.

Jack

45967-11668_4_003.jpg

45968-327_4_001.jpg

I'm interested in seeing Kamen, Kurtzman, and Schomburg, if anyone has the time to post them. Still making up my mind...

Recall I posted a story by Schomburg in an earlier thread. Others can post his covers to help you out. If time permits (doubtful) I'll come up with the Ks.

Kurtzman,Beck and Kamen for me.

Wow, I can't believe Kamen has that many votes. I love his EC stuff and I love his GGA.

Beck, Kurtzman, and with torn feelings, Reed Crandall.

I also am at the point where it is an exceedingly tough choice from here on out.

I keep hearing people bash Schomburg....while I am not the biggest fan of all his war covers, the airbrush Xela books are some of the prettiest covers ever in comics. Can some of you guys post some of the better ones?

I keep hearing people bash Schomburg....while I am not the biggest fan of all his war covers, the airbrush Xela books are some of the prettiest covers ever in comics. Can some of you guys post some of the better ones?

(shrug)

:devil:

45978-Fairfax5.jpg.d5b4d1ea9be20a2b94cca389744f1aee.jpg