• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA BEST ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES POLL: RD.4

GA ARTISTS POLL  

219 members have voted

1. 1. GA ARTISTS POLL

87 posts in this topic

Anyone else notice that Ditko was left off the list? Some of his horror work is the best.

Not enough GA work to warrant his placement in my opinion. And I'm a huge Ditko fan. Now, on a SA list... :cloud9:

Anyone else notice that Ditko was left off the list? Some of his horror work is the best.

Not enough GA work to warrant his placement in my opinion. And I'm a huge Ditko fan. Now, on a SA list... :cloud9:

I have to agree - I love pre-code Ditko, but it didn't even occur to me that he was missing. Another great artist who did do a lot of GA work is Kubert, but his best stuff is his SA work and later - so I see him being more associated with that era.

In the GA, Dale? Ditko's first published cover was The Thing! #12 Feb 1954, his first published artwork was Daring Love #1 Sep/Oct 1953, second published was Black Magic #27 Nov/Dec 1953. Seeing as how the SA started in 1956, that's not a whole lot time for output in the GA. Wolverton had been drawing comics since, what, 1939/1940?

Angelo

In the GA, Dale? Ditko's first published cover was The Thing! #12 Feb 1954, his first published artwork was Daring Love #1 Sep/Oct 1953, second published was Black Magic #27 Nov/Dec 1953. Seeing as how the SA started in 1956, that's not a whole lot time for output in the GA. Wolverton had been drawing comics since, what, 1939/1940?

I agree completely. Ditko will be a strong SA contender.

Wolverton is running a strong #3 for removal right now -- that's a surprise! I wish that I had more samples to post -- lots of good stuff reprinted in Basil Wolverton's Fantastic Fables, Basil Wolverton's Planet of Terror (from Dark Horse), Best of Horror and Science Fiction Comics, plus Powerhouse Pepper and more in Intense! from Pure Imagination, none of which I have anywhere nearby.

Did anyone link to the very attractive Toth story here?

Jack

I love Wolverton's work from the GA. I only wish it were cheaper, and not scattered across so many titles...other than the various oddball reprints, it's not that easy to collect his work or be exposed to it.

Here's a Wolverton page from the "Eye of Doom" story in Mystic #6. Other pages show his distinctive style a bit better, but you gotta love the story!

42294-mystic6page.jpg

You guys are probably right. I don't know exactly how many pre Silver age books Ditko did, but I tend to classify alot of his pre Marvel stuff in Golden Age, probably mistakenly. I bet most of that stuff won't be considered in a Silver Age poll though, because alot of the Silver Age collectors will never have seen it. Most Silver Age Ditko collectors associate him with Spider-man and Blue Beetle. Not his horror, science fiction stuff.

Wolverton is a love him or hate him style. I myself dont like his style. I am more into Fine or Frazetta. His creativity and cartoonish style is not bad but I like more realism I guess. I prefer Jack Cole to Wolverton.

I love Wolverton's work from the GA. I only wish it were cheaper, and not scattered across so many titles...other than the various oddball reprints, it's not that easy to collect his work or be exposed to it.

Here's a Wolverton page from the "Eye of Doom" story in Mystic #6. Other pages show his distinctive style a bit better, but you gotta love the story!

42294-mystic6page.jpg

Whoo-hoo! "Littered with the gelatinous masses!"

I don't recall ever seeing any pages from this story (although I may own a reprint).

The astronaut's collar is slightly obscene.

Jack

Wolverton is a love him or hate him style. I myself dont like his style. I am more into Fine or Frazetta. His creativity and cartoonish style is not bad but I like more realism I guess. I prefer Jack Cole to Wolverton.

"Cartoonish style is not bad but I like more realism" is an unusual reason to like (most) Cole, isn't it? He could do a realistic style well, but is best know for stretching (literally) the bounds of reality!

Although truth be told, I'd probably vote off Wolverton before Cole, but not this early.

Jack

You guys are probably right. I don't know exactly how many pre Silver age books Ditko did, but I tend to classify alot of his pre Marvel stuff in Golden Age, probably mistakenly. I bet most of that stuff won't be considered in a Silver Age poll though, because alot of the Silver Age collectors will never have seen it. Most Silver Age Ditko collectors associate him with Spider-man and Blue Beetle. Not his horror, science fiction stuff.

I don't think Ditko will need too much help from his pre-Marvel work to do well in a SA poll. :gossip:

I'm interested in seeing Kamen, Kurtzman, and Schomburg, if anyone has the time to post them. Still making up my mind...

Recall I posted a story by Schomburg in an earlier thread. Others can post his covers to help you out. If time permits (doubtful) I'll come up with the Ks.

Yep, Scrooge, I do remember it. I searched some of his covers down and I can see that his cover work is a whole 'nuther ballgame!

I voted for:

Kamen (not bad, but not overly remarkable, and as someone else said, the lesser of the EC pack)

Kurtzman (I like the war story samples posted, very intense--and I remembered who he was, from Mad magazine--but he seems more of niche stylist than a well rounded master).

Wolverton. I've just never been a fan of his farout cartoon style.

So far I've really been impressed by Fine and Baker, in addition to other greats that I already knew about.

Thanks again everyone for posting the samples.