• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scanner Help

41 posts in this topic

O.K. Trying to figure out this bloody scanner that I've had for a while and recently set-up. Finally figured out out to save where I want and to convert from .tif to .jpeg (Hey, I'm slow O.K? wink.gif ).

I'm still having difficulty in resizing the darn thing to be able to post it on the forum. Smallest size I'm getting is 474k. This is with varying dpi resolutions of 96, 125 and 150. Everytime I try to change pixels to 640 it adjust the width to whatever it likes and visa versa.

Any suggestions? I'm using a Microtek 4900 and Adobe Photoshop. Thanks in advance for any help!

1. Scan the image at 100% at 150 or 200 dpi. You always want more data than is needed to start with.

2. In photoshop crop the image if needed.

3. Still in Photoshop, hit

Image > Adjust> Levels

and

Image > Adjust> Brightness/ Contrast

to fix the image to match reality (if needed)

4. hit

Image > Image Size

In the Resolution box, enter "72" and make sure the second box is set to "pixels/ inch"

5. Hit

File > Save For Web

a new box should open up. Choose "jpeg High" under settings and save.

Scottish,

Here are some tips that I hope you'll find useful:

1. Scan all the items first and save the images into one directory - I would opt for the 96 dpi resolution, and save it as a jpeg format file.

2. Open the files in Photoshop - you can open mulitple files at one time as well buy selecting the first file in the list, holding the Shift button, and selecting the last file.

3. Using the selection tool (dotted square icon on the tool palette), you can crop the the image to get rid of the excess white around the comic book (two ways you can do this, one is to use the crop tool, the other is to select what you want, and go to Image - Crop in the menu bar).

4. You can reduce the size of the image under 'Image' menu by choosing 'Image Size'. If you want to show a high amount of detail, you can go with a width of 500 pixels or so.

5. Final step, depending on what version of Photoshop you can, you can :

i) choose 'Save As' - choose jpeg, and choose medium quality to get better compression, or

ii) choose Save for Web, choose jpeg, and select a range from 40-50 for quality. I find that gives a good compromise on quality and file size.

Hope this helps!!!!

....scottish...........a computer screen can only display an image at 72 dpi, so there is no need for your final image to be any higher resolution than that.....

....scan the image at 300dpi (or you will lose too much quality) and then resave the image at 72dpi in photoshop, this will reduce the file size big time...........

a computer screen can only display an image at 72 dpi,

Ummm, no. how many dpi your screen displays depends on the resolution you are displaying. For example a display resolution of 1600 X 1200 would show twice as many dpi as a resolution of 800 X 600

Phil

blowout is correct on this one. Your computer screen is fixed at 72 dpi. You're correct in that a higher display resolution will show you more on the screen, but 72 dpi is what a computer screen is fixed at.

I would not recommend scanning at 300 dpi though....scans take much longer to do, and although you do get a sharper picture scaling from 300 dpi to 72 dpi, the difference in my experience is not worth it. Scanning at 96 dpi gives you the option of a slightly larger than life scan which you can also scale down, and it doesn't take as long.

Best advice maybe to try everything and settle down with what you feel most comfortable with grin.gif

I truly appreciate the help guys. Still having problems. Mud and Hogations: The menu selections you're indicating aren't available in my verison of photoshop. I'm using V 4.0 if that is of any help.

The scanner isn't allowing me to scan at 640x480 at 100%. 100% = 1234x1746. If I reduce the pixels it crops the scan to just one upper corner of the cover.

Adjusting the dpi to 72 does reduce the pixels, but still gives me a file size of 1.42 meg or so. 640 x 9xx something.

Meth: Thanks! I'm usually not available that late into the evening (I know only, 9pm here, but I'm an old fart wink.gif ).

the image would just appear bigger

Bigger = more inches

A 72 dpi scan that takes 6 inches of screen space at 800X600 takes 3 inches of screen space at 1600X1200

72 dpi X 6 inches = 432 pixels

72 X 3 inches = 216 pixels

where are the other 216 pixels?

Phil

It's been years and years since I used v.4 on a regular basis so I'm not going to remember much.

What it sounds like with your final one (the one that is about 1.4 megs) is that you're saving an ucompressed jpeg. You're saving it at highest quality (I think that's 12?)? If so, move it down to 8 or so.

You're not going to get a 100% scan at 72 dpi much lower than 150-300k, so if you can get that far, you're moving in the right direction.

Thanks mud! Not sure where to set 'Quality.' That menu only speaks to brightness/contrast, instant fix, sharpen, ect.

I have managed to save a file (jpeg) at 65k and will upload to see what it gives me. Check the 'test' board to see results.

Let me know what you all think!

there are no other 216 pixels. There are only the original 216 pixels displayed proportionally larger or smaller. There isn't suddenly more information in an image file because the screen resolution is increased. there is the exact same amount of information except that it will display proportionately smaller.

Here's an example

An image 100 by 100 pixels with a print resolution of 72 dpi will take up 10,000 pixels of the 480000 in an 800 by 600 display = 0.02083 of the screen.

An image 100 by 100 pixels with a print resolution of 72 dpi will take up 10,000 pixels of the 1920000 in a 1600 by 1200 display which = 0.005208 of the screen

Same data different relative display sizes.

Scottish;

I think you are trying to upload a scan big enough for people to see the quality of the book, the size restriction here makes that pretty much impossible. The way people do it here is to upload the image to a host and link to the image in the post. That is why you see the image within the post as opposed to as an attachment.

Phil