• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your ONE-OF-A-KIND CGC SS books, or lone top census CGC SS books!
18 18

4,423 posts in this topic

On 7/22/2017 at 9:03 AM, ivdyer said:

Major kudos to Doug Peters for this one. Many of you saw his post when this came back. Was in the comic room last night and finally took a quick picture of it. Not only the lone 9.9 but signed by Frank Miller.....killer book

A70B9D03-A1BE-4B88-8304-A3EC5F447446_zps

Soooo killer! I was wondering who ended up with this. *jealous*

the answer probably wont be in the census--theres no way of determining whether a comic has one or three sigs. I was thinking more like individuals who have triple sigs who would answer.MAybe I have to post this on a stand alone thread to get some answers ?

On 10/22/2007 at 11:52 PM, Raphael said:

So here are the rules for posting books in this thread:

1. The book must be the only Signature Series book for that particular issue on the census

2. You may post your book if there are other SS copies on the census only if your copy is the highest and only graded copy. So if there are a couple SS 9.4's and you have the only SS 9.8, then you could post it here.

:rulez:    Since it appears to be an issue, here are rules from page 1

As of today these are both the lone SS 9.8's on the Census - plus they're signed by the whole team! Big thanks to @Rich_Henn!

They're not incredibly rare by any means, but Motor Crush is one of my favorite series right now. Mostly because of Babs Tarr and her awesome cover work.
(Sorry if the quality isn't the best - I'm the world's worst millennial and hate phones and cameras.)

20170809_193502.thumb.jpg.9a8357dfac5280b41a1a5338ee1b4d51.jpg20170809_193438.thumb.jpg.33020a68214b24eaff7ceef982cfcbf2.jpg

1908171057181.jpg

To my knowledge, this is the only book signed by any stars of the show.  I have seen a couple signed by comics creators that worked on the books (Neal Adams and Joe Staton, again as I recall) but never any signed by the cast.  Even so, this is the highest and only graded copy of this book.  

When it comes to TV shows that influence or have had an effect on people's lives, Star Trek is generally the first show that comes to mind.  That's a really good one as it has influenced scientists in all fields and has driven a great many other changes and that is both fantastic and amazing.  I would argue though that another, much less famous or enduring show has had a much bigger effect on virtually every American.  Have you ever heard of EMERGENCY! ?  It premiered in 1972 and, depending upon your source, there were either less than 10 or only 12 paramedic units in all of the U.S.  Paramedic "units" doesn't necessarily mean ambulances either.  As seen on the show, some paramedics rode on rescue or other fire apparatus.  As of 1977, more than half of all American were within 10 minutes of a paramedic staffed vehicle, be it a fire engine, rescue, ground ambulance or air ambulance.  Paramedics and EMS in general have driven changes in medicine and increased survival rates for a wide variety of injuries and maladies from asthma to strokes.    While a great many of these changes were likely inevitable, EMERGENCY! brought the idea to the forefront, making the public aware of what was possible and in turn pushing leaders to expand EMS nationwide.  

So while Star Trek may have more of a wow factor and may have influenced more lofty minds and goals, EMERGENCY! has probably had a much wider effect.  I know it influenced me in my youth, planting the seed of fire fighting and EMS that would eventually turn into a career.  I've been watching for the stars of the show to turn up for signing for a very long time.  I've got half of the team of Johnny and Roy (their characters' names - I'm not sure why they used the actors' names on the cover) and will be looking out for an opportunity to add Kevin Tighe!  

Edited by MedicAR

I always found this to be kind of a cool cover (of a semi-fringe cult classic movie from the 70's). This is the single, highest graded copy on the CGC census. There is only one 9.8 Blue label as well. Signed by Doug Moench.

Island of Dr Moreau 1.jpg

No one else has slabbed this book, blue or yellow. I do not have too many SS books (less than 10 I would think out of about 50 slabs) but I do like Walt a lot and looking through some books I thought that this was the strongest 9.8 so I went with it. It ain't Randolph Mantooth but I like it. :sumo:

DMh5a7IXkAEVDDr.jpg

sorry for the bad photo but too bad, you get the idea.

Edited by Bird