• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has my hobby reached it's pinnacle?

26 posts in this topic

I remember sitting in the '89 Bat movie and a black woman looked at me and said, "when is someone gonna have a Spiderman movie...?" Unaware of any movie in production, I should have scratched my head and said to her..."let's meet back in this theatre May 3, 2002 just for the heck of it!!

She did show up, dude, wearing brand-new Frederick's undies and carrying a bottle of bourbon in her purse, ready to rock & roll. You totally missed out... :sorry:

Good post...

With superhero adaptations, the effect on comics is usually felt only mildly, and generally people are looking for merchandise or trade paperbacks. Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, FF, Ghost Rider, Daredevil, Hulk... nary a ripple.

The real cause-effect is in the biggest non-superhero movies. Sin City, Hellboy, 300, Ghost World, From Hell, V for Vendetta (even League of Extraordinary Gentlemen as bad as it was)... these films did have impact as people went looking for the books that inspired the movies they enjoyed. And like anyone being exposed to a book by a novelist that they enjoy they went looking for more books by the same person... Mignola, Miller, Moore, Clowes... even Pekar (American Splendor).

Stores couldn't keep 300 in stock earlier this year and Dark Horse made a fortune reprinting that book. And a lot of people seemed to be saying "what can you recommend to me that is LIKE THIS?". Same thing happened with Sin City and V for Vendetta the year before.

Watchmen could potentially do the same thing again, if it's any good. I don't know if 300 Days of Night is having the same kind of effect, but I have seen the stores making sure it is well displayed.

Now if I am wrong about my previosly posted assessment(s), then we are headed for good times for the comics hobby for the next twenty years.

Not a bad deal!

CAL lol