• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Unusual MLJ I picked out of Jamie Graham’s WonderCon boxes. Cool pirate cover. Interior has Black Hood, early Susie and some nice Bill Wiggins art. Cool find!

D882D1E6-6654-40A2-A25E-8307C11C217A.jpeg

I've seen a copy of this before, but it's tough to find.  Never quite understood what caused them to put out this unusual one-shot.  Maybe they had a stray cover from an abortive attempt to start a pirate series and decided to publish it with an interior of reprint stories?

43 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

A fun read - I have low-grade Archie 12 and 15 (badly rusted staples replaced), don't know whether to keep 'em or move 'em because they're still enjoyable. hm

I have a hard time letting any Archie go....

8 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

A couple of Big Apple Con pickups.  I was surprised that the B&V 4 has as many copies as it does on the census; not a book you see all that often.  The Archie 46 is one my favorite Archie headlight covers (bad glare on my scan). 

2018-04-14-0001_zps3pivbgek.JPG

2018-04-14-0001_zpsbwkbmy4i.JPG

:applause:Nice grabs! I had to skip Big Apple this year, LOTS of work over the weekend. 

On 4/16/2018 at 12:01 AM, sagii said:

:applause:Nice grabs! I had to skip Big Apple this year, LOTS of work over the weekend. 

Honestly, you didn't miss too much.  Seemed to be fewer dealers, fewer books, and fewer attendees than in previous years.  Carbo might be better off turning it back into a one-day show. 

On 4/15/2018 at 2:43 PM, Sqeggs said:

A couple of Big Apple Con pickups.  I was surprised that the B&V 4 has as many copies as it does on the census; not a book you see all that often.  The Archie 46 is one my favorite Archie headlight covers (bad glare on my scan). 

I think it has a lot of copies on the census only because it is DeCarlo's first Archie work, and it's an easy sell because it commands a premium.

I see it pop up for sale a lot more than other early Archie's... but that's probably because it's on my watch list :P