• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

The 1.5 has now been shipped out to the Takebot but I did manage to snag this pic before it left :)...

42282009054_9371bd05d2_b.jpg

43 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

The 1.5 has now been shipped out to the Takebot but I did manage to snag this pic before it left :)...

42282009054_9371bd05d2_b.jpg

:golfclap:

9 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

I always thought this was a rather odd cover.... I'm sure back in 1940 EVERY Mom wanted their child to have one lol GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Dnns3xP.jpg

They really were searching for an identity early on.  Part of what makes the early GA stuff so appealing to me. 

Edited by buttock

Great stuff, Corey. The Top Notch run is underrated with some super cool covers. Here's #16, which is the only one I have.
I can't get over that creature in the lower left CHOMPING right into the hero... never seen that before.  lol

topnotch16.jpg.85d9bf12fbd031484e50a24ec7764420.jpg

25 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Great stuff, Corey. The Top Notch run is underrated with some super cool covers. Here's #16, which is the only one I have.
I can't get over that creature in the lower left CHOMPING right into the hero... never seen that before.  lol

topnotch16.jpg.85d9bf12fbd031484e50a24ec7764420.jpg

:applause:That is certainly a standout cover, nice copy.

I agree TN is underrated , Pep, Zip then Hangman seem to rule the MLJ roost, but Blue Ribbon is gaining fast. 

4 hours ago, sagii said:

.....for some reason this is one of the more scarcer issues of this run, especially in decent shape. One of my Berk wins from last year. Still have all of my Berk wins(no resell or trade yet)

image.jpeg

Nice book and VERY tough. Glad to hear I am not the only one hanging on to Jon's books. I bought what I wanted (and could afford), to keep and that is what I plan to do.

1 hour ago, sagii said:

:applause:That is certainly a standout cover, nice copy.

I agree TN is underrated , Pep, Zip then Hangman seem to rule the MLJ roost, but Blue Ribbon is gaining fast. 

My favorite cover in the run. Yeah, I'm a big Blue Ribbon guy. I love Mr. Justice. I need about 3 or 4 of them to complete the Mr. Justice run and two Jackpots I believe. VERY hard to find. And to make things worse, Jackpot has that stoopid teen age story running the price up...:insane:

31 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

My favorite cover in the run. Yeah, I'm a big Blue Ribbon guy. I love Mr. Justice. I need about 3 or 4 of them to complete the Mr. Justice run and two Jackpots I believe. VERY hard to find. And to make things worse, Jackpot has that stoopid teen age story running the price up...:insane:

Glad to see you've held on to your JB books too RM. I've seen a lot in the wild again since last June.

I love Blue Ribbon too. There are about 4 more I'd really like to own that I dont already have. Wont give me the full run, but most of the knockout covers in series at least 

1 hour ago, sagii said:

Glad to see you've held on to your JB books too RM. I've seen a lot in the wild again since last June.

I love Blue Ribbon too. There are about 4 more I'd really like to own that I dont already have. Wont give me the full run, but most of the knockout covers in series at least 

I pretty much only want the Mr. Justice ones. Although that #7 posted before sure has a killer cover. Problem is Corporal Collins, Rang A Tang and Hercules are pretty weak contents. 

6 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

The Zip run from #8 through #19 is, in my opinion, one of the best MLJ runs out there.  Here's one from the middle of that run.

Zip16(MH).jpg

Killer! :applause:

Biro at his finest and the Church copy to boot!!!

I remember passing on a couple of low grade copies of this one :cry:

8 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

The Zip run from #8 through #19 is, in my opinion, one of the best MLJ runs out there.  Here's one from the middle of that run.

Zip16(MH).jpg

To me, Biro and Jack Cole are two of the most creatively, bizarre artists of the GA.  I know there are folks like Wolverton, Fletcher Hanks, and others and I am have my favorites such as the usual suspects such as Fine, Raboy, Schomburg, and Cole.  

Biro's Lev Gleason stuff is consistently wild and these MLJ's are equally amazing.  I can just imagine a young lad perusing the newsstand for comics and grabbing this one.  Heck for that matter, no doubt it hooked adults as well.  

Great book.  I wish I had more of the early MLJs but my collection is dismally weak of these.  

Edited by telerites

Top Notch (Laugh) Comics 33; here's the write-up Heritage did for the 2005 sale of the 9.8 Mile High:

"Cover team-ups don't get much wackier than the Black Hood and Pokey Oakey, The Funny Guy! Looking on are Snoop McGook, blonde airhead Suzie, and the self-explanatory (sort of) three Monkey-teers. Debuting in this issue is the Dotty and Ditto feature by a pre-Katy Keene Bill Woggon. The cover is by Red Holmdale."

Posted these and a few more pics in the "Brother, Can You Spare a Grade" thread (click to go there); would appreciate any advice about the resto comments I made there, as well as what grade/label you think this book would obtain ... 

20180823_200650_resized.jpg

20180823_200949_resized.jpg

20180823_201013_resized.jpg

20180823_201030_resized.jpg

20180823_201106_resized.jpg

Edited by BuscemasAvengers