• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

hey just back into collecting archie's went to NYCC and saw a raw Archie #53 going for $575.  any reason this one jumped up in price compared to the other bob montana GGA ones(46,48,49 etc)? 

40 minutes ago, GoldenPRGuy said:

Been while since I posted, and should have shared this sooner as @Sqeggs referenced it in his NYCC post... here are my acquisitions from this year's show! Sorry I missed you, Tony!

NYCC.jpg

:golfclap:Nice to see you back posting books, and what books they are!

Beauties!!

A solid showing across the board for Archie/MLJs on Heritage the past few days. I thought the Pep 22 went a bit cheap but then again it was out of my price range so who am I to talk. 

What do all my Archie/MLJ peeps think? Any surprises in your mind?

Also, while not on heritage I saw a really banged up Pep 41 sell on eBay this afternoon for 650. Made me go pull mine just to remind myself how pretty it is.

3 hours ago, GoldenPRGuy said:

A solid showing across the board for Archie/MLJs on Heritage the past few days. I thought the Pep 22 went a bit cheap but then again it was out of my price range so who am I to talk. 

What do all my Archie/MLJ peeps think? Any surprises in your mind?

Also, while not on heritage I saw a really banged up Pep 41 sell on eBay this afternoon for 650. Made me go pull mine just to remind myself how pretty it is.

I would say that the 1950s Archies got really strong prices.  Too strong for me, alas.  Many were highest-graded with great pq -- usually White.  From the auction notes, apparently Heritage got in an OO collection.  Would love to know the details.  Clearly these books were stored in a way that really helped preserve them.  

Nice group of books.  Have been following the OO collection of 1950s Archies that Heritage has been selling?  Most are high grade, although usually not as high as 9.2, and have White pages. They've been going for strong prices.  Most are highest graded and quite a few are only graded. 

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Nice group of books.  Have been following the OO collection of 1950s Archies that Heritage has been selling?  Most are high grade, although usually not as high as 9.2, and have White pages. They've been going for strong prices.  Most are highest graded and quite a few are only graded. 

No, to be honest I only ever look at CLbecause the other websites are too confusing for me to figure out. Having said that, I've never purchased anything from CL because I can't figure out what I would actually pay if I bid and the shipping to Canada, I'm told, is ridiculous. I see things I want all the time on the exchange or being auctioned.

Would love to see the books though!

20 hours ago, Patriot6 said:

No, to be honest I only ever look at CLbecause the other websites are too confusing for me to figure out. Having said that, I've never purchased anything from CL because I can't figure out what I would actually pay if I bid and the shipping to Canada, I'm told, is ridiculous. I see things I want all the time on the exchange or being auctioned.

Would love to see the books though!

Have a look through HA's archives.  Probably a search on Archie titles that have most recently closed will bring them up.  I can't remember whether they note which books are from the collection.  The collection wasn't named, so far as I know, so maybe not.  But if you see higher-grade 1950s Archies with White pages, those are the ones. 

13 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I think you have register for the site -- no obligation to buy anything, of course -- to see the prices the books sold for.

I think I may have at one point. It is the navigation of the site that I struggle with. It is frustrating and not very user friendly for a computer dumb dumb like me. But with what you describe I am more determined to do so!

On 12/6/2018 at 7:04 AM, Patriot6 said:
On 12/5/2018 at 5:45 PM, Sqeggs said:

I think you have register for the site -- no obligation to buy anything, of course -- to see the prices the books sold for.

I think I may have at one point. It is the navigation of the site that I struggle with. It is frustrating and not very user friendly for a computer dumb dumb like me. But with what you describe I am more determined to do so!

I love their archives because they are so complete.  Particularly interesting to track how many times some books have sold and how often ped copies have been reslabbed and regraded. 

Nothing special about this issue other than its being a good example of covers from this period.  Seems as if they used a variation of this gag a zillion times over the years.  You'd think Juggie would have eventually figured out that Archie has a different definition of fun! :)

arch.jpg