• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I bought these from a nice boarder, last year:) I collect them for the Katy Keene pages, the Wilbur ones, not so much;)

1636566418_wilbur8cgc50front.thumb.jpeg.c54dccc7a97ec82056b2ec450e690e31.jpeg

882870767_wilbur14cgc60.thumb.jpeg.67489d1a0f6bfe250cebbf0f7d720f85.jpeg

Nice MLJ's there Sha! 

Lots of 'Wilbur' being posted lately.. ..new trend? 

2 hours ago, sagii said:

Nice MLJ's there Sha! 

Lots of 'Wilbur' being posted lately.. ..new trend? 

There is some racy Katy Keene art (or racy for the time) inside some of them...I can't see any other reason, lol.

21 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

There is some racy Katy Keene art (or racy for the time) inside some of them...I can't see any other reason, lol.

I have to agree.  I like the early issues for the Katy Keene artwork as well.  Same with the Suzie books.  I've gotten to like the Wiilbur issues from the late 1950's as well.  The artwork in the latter issues is by Dan DeCarlo and is really nice.  The stories were often pretty good as well at that point.

35 minutes ago, lotemo said:

I have to agree.  I like the early issues for the Katy Keene artwork as well.  Same with the Suzie books.  I've gotten to like the Wiilbur issues from the late 1950's as well.  The artwork in the latter issues is by Dan DeCarlo and is really nice.  The stories were often pretty good as well at that point.

I'll have to pick a few of those up:) I've grown to appreciate Archie type stuff more as an adult. When I was a kid, I was highly insulted when I was told I should read Archie, because it was a "girls' comic;)

On 5/20/2019 at 2:57 PM, skypinkblu said:

I bought these from a nice boarder, last year:) I collect them for the Katy Keene pages, the Wilbur ones, not so much;)

1636566418_wilbur8cgc50front.thumb.jpeg.c54dccc7a97ec82056b2ec450e690e31.jpeg

882870767_wilbur14cgc60.thumb.jpeg.67489d1a0f6bfe250cebbf0f7d720f85.jpeg

Love the Wilbur’s. Especially the covers. #8 is a classic! The interiors are quite good too. Woggon did some great art on the Katy’s too. 

2 hours ago, TheycallmeArchie said:

OK. Your wish is my command...

DSCN1689 (2).JPG

DSCN1686 (2).JPG

:golfclap:You have great tastes my friend! Another set of tough Peps. Many of the Pep and Zip war covers rival Timelys with their violent and wild  'I don't what to focus on first' style. 

Glad to see this thread on page one so frequently again 

Edited by sagii

24 minutes ago, path4play said:

That might have been me?  Love seeing them graded.  Thanks for posting.

It sure was:) but I didn't want to out you without permission:) :foryou:

Thank you, I love the books:)

32 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

This is a tough one, one of the few books I've ever bought back from someone I sold it to when they resold it. That must have been about 5 years ago, I missed it so I was glad to see it for sale.

116572054_Pep17acgc001.thumb.jpg.33dfd1bf0436073c4804f0302a90d305.jpg

(worship)

Certainly not seen for auction often. First appearance of one of the earliest 'dark' heroes. 

Very fortunate that you were able to get it back :headbang:

Great #17, Sharon! The Hangman was such a crazy concept for a hero. That's an issue I'd love to own someday too.

I've been chipping away at those early Peps as well, albeit at a glacial pace. Here's a recent pickup from ebay...

pep30.jpg.30f58c4f942205a68dcf91a7766a87f3.jpg

17 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Great #17, Sharon! The Hangman was such a crazy concept for a hero. That's an issue I'd love to own someday too.

I've been chipping away at those early Peps as well, albeit at a glacial pace. Here's a recent pickup from ebay...

pep30.jpg.30f58c4f942205a68dcf91a7766a87f3.jpg

Great book!

Yeah, Peps followed closely by Zips are the costliest MLJs. For that reason I've been acquiring them at a glacial pace too :D

19 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

This is a tough one, one of the few books I've ever bought back from someone I sold it to when they resold it. That must have been about 5 years ago, I missed it so I was glad to see it for sale.

116572054_Pep17acgc001.thumb.jpg.33dfd1bf0436073c4804f0302a90d305.jpg

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sha that is awesome!!!!