• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

On 8/18/2019 at 8:16 AM, TheycallmeArchie said:

Pep 26, the first appearance of Veronica Lodge.

DSCN1644 (2).JPG

That's the nicest copy I've ever seen, ever.  By a long shot.  My copy was about a 1.5 fair at best.  Hold onto that sucker - sky's the limit on value with the first app of Veronica Lodge!

On 8/23/2019 at 11:53 AM, Shield said:

That's the nicest copy I've ever seen, ever.  By a long shot.  My copy was about a 1.5 fair at best.  Hold onto that sucker - sky's the limit on value with the first app of Veronica Lodge!

Thanks Shield. I agree and it's not going anywhere anytime soon! 

On 7/18/2019 at 7:40 PM, sacentaur said:

Top-Notch 22 gets a big spotlight in the current Heritage catalog...

901195B0-1566-43B9-9ECA-DB20840D89FA.jpeg

On 7/18/2019 at 10:26 PM, sacentaur said:
On 7/18/2019 at 10:22 PM, sagii said:

It's a notoriously tough MLJ. And the Church copy to boot on this copy :x

Yup, and if that wasn’t enough who knows how motivated Archie collectors will be to pickup this book. hm

I think it’s likely to go for big money...

Steve;

You've always have a sharp eye for quality and this is certainly no exception when it comes to this particular book here.  :luhv:

Unfortunately (well, for me at least), you was bang on in terms of it going for big big money as it literally blew right past my max bid even though it was substantially higher than the ones I had placed on some of Jon Berk's HTF Centaur books.  I guess the Edgar Church pedigree also didn't hurt and for myself personally, I always prefer books in the old label slabs, especially ones from CGC 's first year of existence like this particular copy here.  (thumbsu

Was going through the latest CC auction listings yesterday and was rather surprised that this book here is still the highest graded copy after all these years:

jac1.102a.jpg

Well, tied with two others as the highest graded copy, but I thought a higher graded copy would have surfaced by now after all these years.  (shrug)

Looks like the purchaser of one of the other CGC 8.0 graded copies from Heritage back in 2016 must have gone after the upgrade (and must have failed) as its serial number is no longer in CGC's database.  Must have incorrectly made the assumption that the upgrade would be a no-brainer as the final price paid was double condition guide at the time.  Hard to tell which copy is actually nicer without having them in hand, but both copies appear relatively nice from a visual point of view relative to their assigned CGC grade:  :luhv:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Jackpot Comics #8 (MLJ, 1942) CGC VF 8.0 White pages....

Hard to say, but the Chicago copy might stand a better chance for an upgrade even based upon a straight resub, considering it was graded way back back in 2005.  Probably not worth chancing it though since it could also be knocked down a few pegs if it's got any of those near invisible tiny defects which you can't see from a simple scan, but which the graders are targeting nowadays.  hm  (shrug)

On 7/23/2019 at 8:37 AM, sagii said:
On 7/23/2019 at 8:30 AM, BuscemasAvengers said:

Just back from CGC: single highest graded universal copy of this beautiful white-paged Blue Ribbon 7, passing the two 9.0s (one of which is the Larson) and the 9.2 Mile High!

20190723_104442_resized.jpg

:golfclap:MAJOR congrats on that Tim!

What a stunner!! And higher than the Larson and Church copies?!?!? (worship) (worship) (worship)

Being the male chauvinist pig that I am and a fan of GGA cover art, I guess that cover image would have looked a lot better if it was scantily clad females on the belt being fed into the flaming pit of fire.  (tsk)  lol

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Steve;

You've always have a sharp eye for quality and this is certainly no exception when it comes to this particular book here.  :luhv:

Unfortunately (well, for me at least), you was bang on in terms of it going for big big money as it literally blew right past my max bid even though it was substantially higher than the ones I had placed on some of Jon Berk's HTF Centaur books.  I guess the Edgar Church pedigree also didn't hurt and for myself personally, I always prefer books in the old label slabs, especially ones from CGC 's first year of existence like this particular copy here.  (thumbsu

The Church Top-Notch 22 sold for $2,185 back in 2005.

The same book just reached $38,400.

The awareness is definitely there! (thumbsu

2 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

The Church Top-Notch 22 sold for $2,185 back in 2005.

The same book just reached $38,400.

The awareness is definitely there! (thumbsu

Well, talk about keeping ahead of inflation and getting good investment returns on your money.  :applause:

Plus the invaluable bonus of owing an absolutely gorgeous and stunner of a book to boot on top of all that.  :takeit: