• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

Can I get approval by a moderator. I was here years earlier Have collected Archies and other comics for 49 years and many people know me including they call me Archie. I gave mike Ulsan and Jeff Mendell my copy of Pep 22, and Archie 1 (I owned at the time) to them for the Best of archie 1980. Anybody will see my name in the book as Im the only Thurston Bowden in the world here. I have no clue how to navigate in here and make up a name maybe, but I go by Thurstee98  and I am known by hundreds of comic fans including Dennis the Menace registry collection. Im getting up there in age and retired and comics have Been my life. I own Archie 3 CGC 8.0 ( Best on Earth) Pep 44 CGC 8.0 ( best on Earth Pals and gals 1 CGC 9.2 also the best AND MORE. I know many archie facts that people know Including why Archie annual 1 is rare. I told my case to mr overstreet and he agreed.If you have an Archie 56 Look at the bottom of the frnt cover for a hint. I went to Archie publications years ago and got theories.

On 10/29/2019 at 1:31 PM, Thurston B. Bowden said:

Can I get approval by a moderator. I was here years earlier Have collected Archies and other comics for 49 years and many people know me including they call me Archie. I gave mike Ulsan and Jeff Mendell my copy of Pep 22, and Archie 1 (I owned at the time) to them for the Best of archie 1980. Anybody will see my name in the book as Im the only Thurston Bowden in the world here. I have no clue how to navigate in here and make up a name maybe, but I go by Thurstee98  and I am known by hundreds of comic fans including Dennis the Menace registry collection. Im getting up there in age and retired and comics have Been my life. I own Archie 3 CGC 8.0 ( Best on Earth) Pep 44 CGC 8.0 ( best on Earth Pals and gals 1 CGC 9.2 also the best AND MORE. I know many archie facts that people know Including why Archie annual 1 is rare. I told my case to mr overstreet and he agreed.If you have an Archie 56 Look at the bottom of the frnt cover for a hint. I went to Archie publications years ago and got theories.

I'm glad you're here. This is my friend and the seller I mentioned who sold me all the early Peps and Archie 1 that I've posted. Without him, my collection wouldn't be near what it is today. Thank you Thurston, you've been great to me.

On 10/29/2019 at 1:31 PM, Thurston B. Bowden said:

I remember you well from eBay, but it's been a long time, welcome to the boards!

On 11/1/2019 at 11:17 PM, TheycallmeArchie said:

I'm glad you're here. This is my friend and the seller I mentioned who sold me all the early Peps and Archie 1 that I've posted. Without him, my collection wouldn't be near what it is today. Thank you Thurston, you've been great to me.

Yes, here is a good friend good friend for years who mowed lawns and did  everything to get these comics. this was they called me Archie bought pep 22 and Archie one for about $1200. I know where all pep 22,s CGC 4.5 are s I bidded $65,000 on one 3 or 4 years ago and lost to a guy who was buying Archies from me. that copy was slightly brittle. My old copy is 4.5 I think off white.I cant afford the comic now. I do have an Archie 3 CGC 8.0 and a couple of top graded early Archies.

On 10/14/2019 at 11:17 AM, TheycallmeArchie said:

I've had this since the mid to late 80's. I'm not sure exactly when I bought this. I had it graded in 2003. For a long time it was the second highest graded copy but no longer as a few others have surfaced.

I guess it has been almost 40 years ago you bought them from me.That sounds about right to me.Still off white pages the holy grail of Archie's.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Ebay buy from Sunday hit my mail box today. Now that is FAST service!

Not high grade but I am so happy to get this one. I told my wife I was watching it, and she asked if I "won" it. I told her no, "I was just the fool that paid the most". Considering how tough this one is, I think I actually got a bargain. A very tough run to complete if you are a Mr. Justice fan. After not even seeing any of the ones I needed for several years, this is the 3rd one I can cross off the list in the past few months. Just down to 3 left now...

Haven't read it yet, but while doing a page check, I noticed the ad for the Rang-A-Tang club so shot a photo with my button. Also, a WWII Nazi Flamethrower cover.

Of special note though is the "Tales from the Witches Cauldron" feature with a very early 1942 version of EC's Old Witch. I know there was a discussion a while back about the earliest horror story in comics. Don't remember how it netted out. This might be the first appearance of the Old Witch?

comblueribbon20a.jpg

comblueribbon20b.jpg

comblueribbon20c.jpg

Great pick-up!

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Ebay buy from Sunday hit my mail box today. Now that is FAST service!

Not high grade but I am so happy to get this one. I told my wife I was watching it, and she asked if I "won" it. I told her no, "I was just the fool that paid the most". Considering how tough this one is, I think I actually got a bargain. A very tough run to complete if you are a Mr. Justice fan. After not even seeing any of the ones I needed for several years, this is the 3rd one I can cross off the list in the past few months. Just down to 3 left now...

Haven't read it yet, but while doing a page check, I noticed the ad for the Rang-A-Tang club so shot a photo with my button. Also, a WWII Nazi Flamethrower cover.

Of special note though is the "Tales from the Witches Cauldron" feature with a very early 1942 version of EC's Old Witch. I know there was a discussion a while back about the earliest horror story in comics. Don't remember how it netted out. This might be the first appearance of the Old Witch?

comblueribbon20b.jpg

:applause:Great pick up RM! Blue Ribbon is a great title , Zips and Peps tend to be more costly , but this series had a charm all it's own.

Thanks Corey. Yeah, that is true. Blue Ribbon seems to get overshadowed by Pep and Zip. The contents are great. Not that most people seem to get past the great covers. 

The Spectre might be my favorite GA superhero. I discovered Mr Justice years ago. Very similar to the Spectre and decided to go for his run. I’m down to his first and last apperances. The last being a VERY wild skeleton torture cover that I don’t think I’ve ever seen for sale. 

I’ve only got 3 Jackpots. (2 are even coverless). These are way outta my hands now due to the appearances by that freckle face teen age kid...

By the way, if anyone out there in comic book land ever spots the Rang-A-Tang membership card, I’m your sucker. Never seen one. Not surprising as in the case with most of these comic book clubs, the paper items are always the first to get lost or trashed. 

7 hours ago, Robot Man said:

By the way, if anyone out there in comic book land ever spots the Rang-A-Tang membership card, I’m your sucker. Never seen one. Not surprising as in the case with most of these comic book clubs, the paper items are always the first to get lost or trashed. 

I imagine those didn't hold up so well once they got dog slobbered on.