• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

i think i'm down to a single mlj book in my collection, but it's a keeper unless i grab another chicago timely down the road.

jackpot1.jpg

Awesome copy! I wish I had some Pedigree MLJs! Most of my Church and Crippen books are Archie titles, but none of the super heroes.

My Jackpot run is mostly mid-grade and one or two on the lower end ... but here are two of my nicer copies.

KGrHqJHJCgE-e1UonNBPz1JOkEQ60_57_zpsd55c071e.jpg

Jackpot6_zpsde6c43db.jpg

love the 6; i had an 8.0 copy of that one once upon a time, but i dissolved the run, keeping only the c'town copy. the colors on your book are MUCH brighter than i recall my book having.

my copy did go to a pretty good boardie, tho'.

i think i'm down to a single mlj book in my collection, but it's a keeper unless i grab another chicago timely down the road.

jackpot1.jpg

Another Chicago Jackpot :)

jp6_zps5eaej22c.jpg

love the 6; i had an 8.0 copy of that one once upon a time, but i dissolved the run, keeping only the c'town copy. the colors on your book are MUCH brighter than i recall my book having.

my copy did go to a pretty good boardie, tho'.

Thanks, I'm pretty pleased with it. It's a pretty common issue in the run, but it took me a while to find a good copy in solid shape. No idea what it would grade. Your Chicago is definitely a keeper; though if you ever feel the need to find another good boardie to sell it to... :whistle:

Actually my 4 is a great copy as well, but it's restored. I won it on HA back in 2006 for peanuts. It had a lower grade and it was labeled restored because someone trimmed the back cover (not a little but like a good half inch off the left hand side). It presented really well, and was not something that I considered resto, just some careless scissor work by a kid, but it was already PLOD so there wasn't much I could do. I sat on it for 6 years before finally sending it to Matt and Kenny who added the edge back and cleaned and pressed the book. Need to get a better pic/scan...

J4a_zps7d6463be.jpeg

jackpot1.jpg

Very nice, Billy - Jackpot 1 is the only issue I currently have of that run and I sure like it a lot.

Actually my 4 is a great copy as well, but it's restored.

J4a_zps7d6463be.jpeg

Doesn't matter, great book (I'm actually looking for a restored with nice pages on Jackpot 4). Well done, sir!

The "Detective 38" for the Shield and Pep Comics, a very tough book (especially in grade) - this copy is pedigree quality:

100_1069.jpg

Holy C--! That is an insane copy. I went to pull mine out and it actually took me a second to confirm I was holding my 11. The colors on yours and the colors on mine are no where near one another! (worship)

I always thought I had a nice looking copy ... not so much anymore.

Pep%2011_zpsulrqditp.jpg

I want to be a member of this club! :cry:

Cool book of course sir! :applause:

Here's my offering to join the club. Can't top Steve's killer copy,but I love it just the same.

8493b704-5147-4f2a-baba-3bc705d7e71d_zpsqbinlzbu.jpg

Here's my offering to join the club. Can't top Steve's killer copy,but I love it just the same.

8493b704-5147-4f2a-baba-3bc705d7e71d_zpsqbinlzbu.jpg

Russ... get out of here! That is a gorgeous copy - may I ask, where did you get it (and it's unrestored)?

Blue Ribbon

I'm glad you posted the BR 11 which is the Larson copy (I presume), which means that despite all the indicators my copy is NOT a Larson (as I am not aware of any dupes in the collection).