• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

A 9.2 with White pages.  Possibly a ped book? hm

From the small (earlier) New Hampshire collection (vertical pencil slash at the top), I bought it direct from Jim Payette at SDCC.

Thought it was a 9.4 (not pressed), pages are incredibly white.

Edited by sacentaur

On 7/14/2017 at 1:34 PM, Robot Man said:

Great book I've never had the pleasure of owning. Spied a copy that looks a little lower grade on the bay that seems to be traveling upward quickly. Will be interesting to see where it lands.

I wonder if any Boardie grabbed that one off ebay. I was a high bidder then underbidder on it right before it went crazy.

17 hours ago, sacentaur said:

From the small (earlier) New Hampshire collection (vertical pencil slash at the top), I bought it direct from Jim Payette at SDCC.

Thought it was a 9.4 (not pressed), pages are incredibly white.

I've bought books off the stands that weren't as white as that! 

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

OK, last one for now - not only is this my favorite MLJ, it's also one of my all-time favorite GA books. 

Pep9AT.png

Another beauty!

Thinking about it, these "superhero saving folks from disaster" covers are fairly scarce.  After the early superhero days, I think they become really scarce. At least, that's my off-the-cuff take. hm

7 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Thinking about it, these "superhero saving folks from disaster" covers are fairly scarce.  After the early superhero days, I think they become really scarce.

I like them, and this cover is exceptional - a lot better than Superman sitting in a chair and getting a haircut. :bigsmile:

23 hours ago, sacentaur said:

OK, last one for now - not only is this my favorite MLJ, it's also one of my all-time favorite GA books. 

Pep9AT.png

A beauty! The Detroit Trolly copy of Pep #9 was my first MLJ and I think my first GA book period. I still have it. 

5 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Nice! Did you get that direct from Marnin?

I've been looking for another copy to read as my Allentown was too nice to handle.

I got it from Terry from of Terry's comics at a San Jose Comic con about 10 years ago. I found out he got it from a fellow board member who purchased it from Marnin. 

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 0:27 PM, sacentaur said:

Pep9AT.png

..... that is such a SHARP image, Steve.........oh, how I wish I could get even close to that kind of clarity with my camera..... you can almost feel the glow of the sheen on your face..... all the way through the computer. Well done, Sir :golfclap: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu