• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

Cool books all around! Here's another MLJ, guess you can call it a superhero book, as Super Duck graces the cover of Jolly Jingles #13. This title used to be formerly Jackpot Comics. Kind of a 'dark' cover for the funny animal theme. Cool interiors too.

Jolly%20Jingles%2013_zpsirdrm77p.jpg

TERRIFIC! :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Even has WOODY "THE" WOODPECKER!

mm

They've never been that easy to find, but Blue Ribbon and Top Notch used to be slow sellers. Not any more.

VERY true!! I've had more luck finding Peps recently :gossip:

+2... Pep has dominated the MLJ market for so long - and they have become so expensive - it seems that collectors are in the process of discovering other MLJ titles (e.g., Blue Ribbon, Top Notch, and Zip).

In an article I wrote for one of Overstreet's GA updates some 20 year ago, it was mentioned how scarce the MLJ's are and I believe that still holds true today. If anything, over time MLJ's have become even more difficult to obtain.

That's because someone is hoarding all the sweet sweet copies... :baiting:

I'm actually amazed at how few I see listed anymore on eBay. Not sure if that's cause people are choosing to go with CC, HA and CL auctions or just hoard them like many of us, but the well certainly seems very dry. I do agree that the less popular (historically) MLJ titles have gained serious traction in the past few years, which is nice to see, but I still need some so it's frustrating.

Kids and the new home have kept me pretty distracted, and poor, as of late, but I have been keeping up with all the banter, as well as browsing the usual sites on the reg. There is some quality stuff sitting out there, mainly cause it's over priced and the sellers won't budge, but the overall volume is not what it was 2 years ago.

PS. Nice looking books posted lately. Keep 'em coming.

Cool books all around! Here's another MLJ, guess you can call it a superhero book, as Super Duck graces the cover of Jolly Jingles #13. This title used to be formerly Jackpot Comics. Kind of a 'dark' cover for the funny animal theme. Cool interiors too.

Jolly%20Jingles%2013_zpsirdrm77p.jpg

Nice copy. And, yeah, there was a lot of mayhem going on in many of those funny animal covers. Was true even of many of the Kelly WDC&S covers.

27281051852_66cf6bb896_c.jpg

Getting MLJ stuff always seems difficult. These Suzie and Wilbur comics seem to slip by all of those Archie and Katy collectors.

Edited by BB-Gun

A recent pick-up :) Lovin' me some MLJ's :luhv:

TOP%20NOTCH_zpsziysezwz.jpg

Wow! Nice copy. Nicer than mine for sure.

Is it just me or are the super hero MLJ books getting harder to come across all the time?

It would seem that they've been discovered by more collectors & that they're slowly evaporating from the market. Books that wouldn't sell 10 years ago, I can't even FIND now (shrug)

They've never been that easy to find, but Blue Ribbon and Top Notch used to be slow sellers. Not any more.

VERY true!! I've had more luck finding Peps recently :gossip:

Here's one of the few I've picked up in the past few months. Sorry about the less-than-awesome picture quality, but I'm super sick & only had the energy to use my nearly 5 yr old phone. Still cool book though ...

pep%2037_zpsaivb6com.jpg

I actually got all 3 of these within a month & a half space of time, at 2 local comic shows :) Good thing Archie Steve already has them :hi:

pep%2032_zpsaow7gnii.jpg

And, thanks for leaving the Zip 19 for me (worship)

You've crossed some very tough books off the Pep list. Congrats!

I actually got all 3 of these within a month & a half space of time, at 2 local comic shows :) Good thing Archie Steve already has them :hi:

pep%2032_zpsaow7gnii.jpg

And, thanks for leaving the Zip 19 for me (worship)

You've crossed some very tough books off the Pep list. Congrats!

Thanks Steve! You've got a few of the Peps in your sig line that'd make a nice block of them, although I don't expect to be able to get them. Although .... I did give the cover of 34 to a friend who was desperately in love with it, and once he got several other copies, kept telling me he was sending it back. :baiting:

Another pick-up from last month. This batch sort of put me back into collecting the title doh!

pep%2035_zpscuffegdb.jpg

If you ever want to get back out of the title,I'd be happy to buy the batch.. :takeit:

Great books Jimmy!

pep%2032_zpsaow7gnii.jpg

I'd sure like to go to your "local shows". I never see MLJs like that at any of mine...

Ha! Exactly. :applause:

My 'local' shows are the NYC and Boston Cons, and nobody pulls an un-slabbed Pep or any other MLJ out of a random box at either. They are usually behind a piece of glass at HA or CC as an auction preview, or insanely overpriced on someone's back wall.

On an semi-related note, in my work travels I am constantly searching for comic stores that I can pop into for a few minutes to continue the search -- recently did this on my way from Vancouver to Seattle (but the following seems to apply everywhere) and I'm thinking some of these store names really need an upgrade ... 'Lost World of Wonders', 'Nostalgia Central', 'Blah Blah Blah of the Past'. Thinking most of these places could get away with names like, 'This Week's Comics', 'Sold Our One GA Book on eBay' and 'Trading Cards You Can Buy Anywhere'.

To anyone still stumbling upon MLJs at cons or your lcs, I salute you!

Another pick-up from last month. This batch sort of put me back into collecting the title doh!

pep%2035_zpscuffegdb.jpg

If you ever want to get back out of the title,I'd be happy to buy the batch.. :takeit:

Great books Jimmy!

Thanks Pal (thumbs u Yeah, that seems to be my pattern, doesn't it? I get out of the run & sell them all to you! Let's see ..... you've got my old 12, 16 & 29 as I recall doh!