• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

That's not Rick's eBay ID....so I am sure it was a scam. I will PM him.

I believe he was the "winner" of the ebay auction and was listing here for a quick flip.

Why people try to sell books they don't yet have in hand is beyond me. :boo:

Ok everybody. I had sniped this book at $4880 and somehow it sold for exactly $4865. Makes me think even my Bidnapper was hacked. I had not done enough research into this seller and I very well may end up being burned at this point. Of course, between eBay, PayPal and AmEx I think I am protected, but I am unable to make a claim until I have no tracking info for 48 hours. Then I can file a dispute and we will see how it goes. This is what PayPal had told me.

I was surprised when I won the auction given that I was $2k under gpa but made a mistake by posting the book for sale here for a quick small flip. My intent was if there was an interested party to give full disclosure and not accept payment until book was in hand. I have seen many books for sale here (and sell) that were not in hand and did not think it was an issue.

I want to thank Sqeggs for pointing out there may be a hacked account here or I would have been further out with my inquiry with eBay and PayPal. In 17 years on Ebay this is the first time I have potentially had an issue like this. I suspect the worst at this point and hope for the best. This is the FIRST AND ONLY time I have posted a book here I did not have in hand. Lesson learned and unfortunately with a fairly pricey book. My reputation on the board is important to me and I am glad to be a part of this community.

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

That's not Rick's eBay ID....so I am sure it was a scam. I will PM him.

I believe he was the "winner" of the ebay auction and was listing here for a quick flip.

Why people try to sell books they don't yet have in hand is beyond me. :boo:

Also, yes, I agree, the tomato in the face is the accurate emoticon for this event.

Well, hopefully this will be my last post on this saga. :gossip:

eBay notified me today that it is a hacked account and I needed to file a claim. I will be out around $5k for up to 2 weeks while it goes through their process but I will get my money back.

Over the years I have seen many crazy things on eBay that I stayed away from- usually a 3.5 AF 15 from an out of country seller with 8 positive feedbacks that has a $6500 BIN or something. The kind of obvious thing, you know to stay away from, not an open auction for an Archie 3 with 79 feedback all positive. Anyway, caveat emptor. As someone who tries to always do right by people I forget sometimes how this world works. Having done a fair amount of my buying and most of my selling in this little collector's cocoon the last 6 months I forgot about all the nefarious folks out there lurking.

Well, hopefully this will be my last post on this saga. :gossip:

eBay notified me today that it is a hacked account and I needed to file a claim. I will be out around $5k for up to 2 weeks while it goes through their process but I will get my money back.

Over the years I have seen many crazy things on eBay that I stayed away from- usually a 3.5 AF 15 from an out of country seller with 8 positive feedbacks that has a $6500 BIN or something. The kind of obvious thing, you know to stay away from, not an open auction for an Archie 3 with 79 feedback all positive. Anyway, caveat emptor. As someone who tries to always do right by people I forget sometimes how this world works. Having done a fair amount of my buying and most of my selling in this little collector's cocoon the last 6 months I forgot about all the nefarious folks out there lurking.

Yeah, unfortunately eBay does a mediocre to miserable job of cracking down on scammers.

In terms of judging the likelihood that someone selling a high-priced comic is legit, what I do is:

1. Check how recently the seller has actually sold anything. If his fb is all "More than a year ago," it's a red flag.

2. Check if the seller has any history of selling comics. It's not clear what this seller was selling years ago, but I didn't see any indication it was comics.

3. Check out the bid history looking for a lot of incremental bids by a low fb bidder.

These red flags indicated to me that this was a hacked account with the price being shilled up.

Bummer that you got scammed but good that you will get your money back.

Gotta give eBay some kudos tonight. Complete refund tonight! Wow, that was impressive. :applause:

Now, to get some great MLJ pics back up here. Sorry to take up the last page of this thread. :whistle:

WOW!! that's one way to knock it out of the park with your first from this classic publisher!! Great copy of a great book...they are addictive...you were warned :grin:

I was visiting my safe deposit box today and snapped these pix of some books that live there.

Image%202_zpse1elmx20.jpg

Image%201_zpsyoxsaf7f.jpg

Image_zpsdjttmqic.jpg

Steve, why did you put baby in the corner? She should be upfront and center! That looks like an amazing copy, have you considered slabbing it? What do you think it would grade at?

Great books, Steve - do you aspire to upgrade any of those issues or are you content with what you have (just curious)?

I would love to upgrade some of them, but I don't think I could afford it :(