• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

I believe he was the "winner" of the ebay auction and was listing here for a quick flip.

Why people try to sell books they don't yet have in hand is beyond me. :boo:

Trying to pull off the flip before their purchase shows up in GPA? (shrug)

Great books, Steve - do you aspire to upgrade any of those issues or are you content with what you have (just curious)?

I would love to upgrade some of them, but I don't think I could afford it :(

Archie you glad that you bought these a Betty long time ago?

Great books, Steve - do you aspire to upgrade any of those issues or are you content with what you have (just curious)?

I would love to upgrade some of them, but I don't think I could afford it :(

Archie you glad that you bought these a Betty long time ago?

lol

And, yes!!

Yeah you never see the "second tier" stuff at conventions any more. Always plenty of DC and Timely stuff but the other GA publishers rarely turn up. It shows 2 things to me. A: They are much scarcer and B: Dealers that have them for sale put them up for auction to maximize the price.

I get a lot of requests via PM to sell MLJ, Ace, Harvey and others. Prices are so volital these days that if I wanted to sell, (NOT I THAT WANT TO), I would put them up for auction too.

Well I hear what you're saying, but it was just a weird vibe. It's not like I have any intention of stopping, but when the guys manning Reece's booth look at me cross eyed when I ask if they have any MLJs it makes me wonder. Jim Payette also gave me an odd look when I asked if he had any with him and he had to repeat MLJ several times before saying no. One guy, a Boston dealer who is always at the show, think he is like 95, asked what I was looking for. I said MLJs and he proceeded to show me a bunch of boxes of Boy and Bulletman comics. It's not like I'm asking the cashier at the liquor store if they have any 'RM' champagnes ... I know the odds of them having any idea what I'm looking for is slim to none and I'm not above reminding myself that I'm a d-bag for even asking. But this is a comic show, and MLJ -- if it really is rare -- should be known as recognized as something that is sought after ... at the very least by the handful of GA dealers that still exist.

Aside from that Harley had nothing on his wall. White says he doesn't seem many any more. Ted V had a few trashed ZIPs in a box, and that CGC'd Archie 4 (5.5) still hanging where it's been for the last several shows. The most interesting convo I had was with the Card, Comics and Collectibles guys who had 5 MLJs up on the wall (all lower grade, and all of which I had). They told me that a local collector keeps bringing in old beater peps that he collected and read and now wants to sell. Nothing significant yet, but who knows what will turn up next.

I love that what we collect is scarce, but if no one knows about them outside of our little circle and even dealers who should be in the know are starting to forget ... who's going to be around to buy them? That is, once we are done essentially passing them back and forth between the 50 of us. (shrug)

Edited by GoldenPRGuy

They have always been pretty scarce. I'm surprised big name dealers wouldn't know especially for the prices they seem to be bringing lately.

I don't mind beaters (obviously) especially if that is all that is available. Most of mine are lower grade because that is all I could find. Was there anything good in the way of Zips, Hangman or Blue Ribbon? I'll take any I don't have...

CCC had a Pep 10, a TN 5 and a Black hood 17 or 19 (can't recall and can't recall the other two). They also had a really beat up Zip 4 in a box. Van Liew had a Zip 37, 36 and a really trashed 21. I'll admit I considered the 21, such a good cover art-wise but the damage steered me away. The old guy had a restored slabbed TN23 for like 159 bucks. That's really all I saw.

Edited by GoldenPRGuy