• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, walclark said:

Since I focus on WWII covers, I picked up a Top Notch #2 for the swastika cover.  Then came #3 and #4.  At that point, I decided to get the mini run from #1 to #7 which all feature the Wizard.  Added a #27 because it’s a war cover.  Sometime, I’ll get together a group shot.

I agree that the mustache is probably a nod to (what was at the time) current fashion sense and sliver screen stars.

There are some awesome covers in the Top Notch run. A way underrated title.

1 hour ago, walclark said:

Since I focus on WWII covers, I picked up a Top Notch #2 for the swastika cover.  Then came #3 and #4.  At that point, I decided to get the mini run from #1 to #7 which all feature the Wizard.  Added a #27 because it’s a war cover.  Sometime, I’ll get together a group shot.

I agree that the mustache is probably a nod to (what was at the time) current fashion sense and sliver screen stars.

Did you grab the Top Notch 2 on ebay that just ended? Some of us may have cost you a little more on it but it seemed to sell pretty reasonably to me.

Phillip

On 2018-02-15 at 6:05 PM, Patriot6 said:

@Fan Boy might have a raw of these available to check?

Unfortunately...I don’t have a #41 or 54 raw copy. I have a #40 CGC slabbed. :$

but these stories above are definitely from one of early Laugh copies. I remembered one of the stories. 

4 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

Unfortunately...I don’t have a #41 or 54 raw copy. I have a #40 CGC slabbed. :$

but these stories above are definitely from one of early Laugh copies. I remembered one of the stories. 

That's actually #39 from June 1950.  I went looking forward from #41 at first and didn't find it up to #55 so I headed backwards.

On 2/15/2018 at 5:09 AM, walclark said:

A new arrival.

3A991A3C-5901-4019-A5C1-6BF9BDF4D7AD.thumb.jpeg.02a76fc0f02656a256afaf0a8733f371.jpeg

Nice copy of a tough book.  I just checked the census and was surprised that there are even 11 graded copies because you see this book so seldom. 

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Nice copy of a tough book.  I just checked the census and was surprised that there are even 11 graded copies because you see this book so seldom. 

So you mean my coverless copy will probably not find a mate and be lonely forever?:tonofbricks:

7 hours ago, sagii said:

Some interior shots :x

we got a Fan Club, an early costumed female villiain, a 'Fox' splash, and a sci-Fi story. Variety all around. A dime well spent

image.jpeg

Very cool stuff!

What makes me think that @Robot Man has all the Rang-A-Tang Club paraphernalia? :)

Interesting that Richy is wearing knickers.  Were boys actually still wearing those then? hm

15 hours ago, sagii said:

...And another Blue Ribbon down! Love this pre Mr. Justice cover featuring Rang A Tang and Richie (a plain clothes boy hero)it wasn't long  after that MLJ introduced Roy the Super-Boy (only the second costumed superhero sidekick after Robin. Though i have read Toro could lay claim to that honor too, but the new stand date experts would have to chime in on that). Tang and Richie were crashing in on bad 'green' men on the cover of issue 6 too lol.

Is this technically an underwater coverhm

Blue Ribbon Comics #8.jpg

That is one heckuva cool book Corey!! Awesome and interior shots are amazing as well!!