• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

www.comics4kids.org

588 posts in this topic

According to his (probably illegal) eBay listing, he plans to be in Emerald CIty

I don't think this is for a real All Surprise 3...but maybe I'm wrong...:shrug:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-Surprise-Comics-3-fair-to-Good-condition-cover-split-detached-coverless-/251225469042?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a7e347072

On the "About Me" page, it has this...

Q & A Panel "Meet Comics4Kids, Incorporated" will be held on Saturday March 2nd 2013 at 1pm in Room 201. Emerald City Comic Con SEATTLE, WA

I sure wish I was going to be there. hm

Based on their new wording and the fact that the Washington State website for Charitable Organizations says that their organization is not required to register, I'm not sure that what they're doing is illegal. (shrug)

Comics4kids, Inc. grades and appraises comics, advises eBay buyers and sellers, and accepts donations as well as consignments. These literacy champions collect and inherit comic books and then give them away to children FOR FREE in hopes of improving literacy and encouraging imagination, as well as promoting the comic book collecting medium as a hobby. Q & A Panel "Meet Comics4Kids, Incorporated" will be held on Saturday March 2nd 2013 at 1pm in Room 201. Emerald City Comic Con SEATTLE, WA

http://www.sos.wa.gov/charities/search_detail.aspx?charity_id=32609

Based on their new wording and the fact that the Washington State website for Charitable Organizations says that their organization is not required to register, I'm not sure that what they're doing is illegal. (shrug)

Comics4kids, Inc. grades and appraises comics, advises eBay buyers and sellers, and accepts donations as well as consignments. These literacy champions collect and inherit comic books and then give them away to children FOR FREE in hopes of improving literacy and encouraging imagination, as well as promoting the comic book collecting medium as a hobby. Q & A Panel "Meet Comics4Kids, Incorporated" will be held on Saturday March 2nd 2013 at 1pm in Room 201. Emerald City Comic Con SEATTLE, WA

http://www.sos.wa.gov/charities/search_detail.aspx?charity_id=32609

The "not required to register" is if they solicit or gain through donations or sales of donations LESS than $50,000. Given that Dale's made claims of one dealer donating $600,000 in comics and made a separate claim of over $1 million dollars of comics distributed I don't know if that claim of "not required to register" would stand up to a serious audit of past and current inventory, donations, and expenditures.

The "not required to register" is based on self-reporting.

Also the State of Washington encourages voluntary registration as a means to validate the organization in question and earn the trust of the people making the donation.

I looked into setting up a 501©(9) business to do the same thing over a decade ago.

It seemed to me that the best use of valuable books would be to sell them to cover the expense of shipping/recieving/wharehousing the books, etc.

Does anyone thing that if individual books worth even $25 are donated, that the best use of that asset is to give it to a kid to read and destroy?

I realized that it could easily be run as a little fifedom, with family members being on payroll to fill jobs, and that books could easily cross the charity wall.

Decided that it was to much work to deal with.

From the donators point of view it might be better to donate "20K" or more of books and write that amount off rather than sell it for 5k

I looked into setting up a 501©(9) business to do the same thing over a decade ago.

It seemed to me that the best use of valuable books would be to sell them to cover the expense of shipping/recieving/wharehousing the books, etc.

Does anyone thing that if individual books worth even $25 are donated, that the best use of that asset is to give it to a kid to read and destroy?

I realized that it could easily be run as a little fifedom, with family members being on payroll to fill jobs, and that books could easily cross the charity wall.

Decided that it was to much work to deal with.

From the donators point of view it might be better to donate "20K" or more of books and write that amount off rather than sell it for 5k

It's complicated to be sure.

In order to make sure the people donating trust what you, or any charity does, it requires quarterly (or more frequent) disclosures made publicly available as to what specifically was donated, what was sold, what is in inventory, what was given out to kids (when, where, how much, etc), how much cash was raised from selling expensive donated books, where that money went, cash donations, expenditures, salaries, etc etc.

People who take it seriously realize they've got to make everything incredibly transparent They've got to open the entire operation to scrutiny. Scrutiny not just from the government but to people who want to donate or have questions about their organization.

Some people actually think they can treat these things like a hobby, keep no records, disclose nothing, let filing documents lapse, spend a decade and a half on a 501©(3) process than should take no more than 6 months if you are serious, organized and sincere.

I have all the respect in the world for REAL charities that have taken the time and effort to put it all in writing, get all their certifications set up and value, and to strive to do good work and PROVE it.

I'm not illiterate! I feel just fine! :facepalm:

From their webpage. Click on the About link.

Comics4Kids, INC. (UBI 603 201 653) is a not for profit organization that is currently awaiting federal recognition from the IRS for possible tax exemption status. Assisted by El Capitan Damien Moore, Sgt. At Arms Mason Knox, First Vice President Heidi Spidey, and El Chupacabra Jerry Sims, President Dale Moore and Vice President Jason McKibbin are both Overstreet Advisors and lead the team with life long experience in the field, having been readers, collectors, writers, artists, consultants to film (Ixtlan Entertainment),publishers (Green Pirate Press), and store owners (Poison Apple) and everything in-between including but not limited to two years as Quality Control Expert at a competitive Comics Grading Company. SPECIAL THANK YOU: Gloria Reyes, Dave McKibbin, WIZARD WORLD, Gary Barnes, Bob Ludke, Joseph Michael Linsner, Mitch O’Connell, and eBay seller heidi.spidey! Seattle appraisals by appointment only. Feel free to call/email and send donations anytime!

5009 50th Ave SW

Seattle , Washington 98136

United States

253-292-7103