• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan Comics
10 10

1,135 posts in this topic

Hither came Conan...

Conan the Conqueror, Gnome Press 1950. First Conan in book form.

img227-1.jpg

I have two complete runs of Conan from issue 25 - 150 in high grade. Here is my collection of Conan 1 - 24 --- left column is CGC, right column raw (with some raw multiples). My goal is to have them all in 9.6 White. I haven't added to it in some time so maybe I'll get back on my horse...

1 9.6 W ; NM-

2 9.4 W

3 9.6 W ; VF+, VF+

4 9.4 W

5 ; NM-

6 9.6 W ; NM-

7 9.6 W ; VF

8 9.6 W ; NM-

9 9.4 W

10 9.6 W

11 9.4 W

12 9.6 OW/W ; VF

13 9.6 W ; NM

14 ; NM, VF-

15 9.6 OW/W ; NM, VF-

16 ; NM

17 9.6. W ; NM-

18 ; NM

19 ; NM-

20 ; NM-

21 ; NM-

22 9.6 W ; NM

23 ; NM

24 ; NM

yes, the UPN conan show was a HUGE disappointment and had virtually nothing to do with conan.

Ahnold as Conan was a pretty decent rendition. I think they missed the boat in that Conan in the stories/comics was a lot smarter than the movies gave him credit for and, of course, it got bogged down in creating sidekicks and all that nonsense. but hey, James Earl Jones as Thulsa Doom? Not bad casting.

I spent a thanksgiving dinner with Maco (from the first movie, I don't think he was in the next one, was he?) among others a long time ago. Amusing guy. If there was a role for a 40+ year old asian actor (usually playing a Japanese WW II villian) in the 50s - 80s, he'd get it most of the time. Went to Stuyvesant High School in New York City.

At the time, I only remembered him from Conan. I didn't say anything about that, but I was having dinner at the home of some old time character actors who had invited him, when I saw their 1940/50's black & whites on the walls I recognized them from some classic movies (just didn't know their names), so they were all talking about the good old days and what not. You know how it is, faces you've seen a zillion times, just weren't big enough stars for people to readily know their names. In the 15 or so years since then I have seen him in at least 25-50 movies. I found it interesting that he had grown up in NYC, attending the same high school my kid brother went to. Anyway, sort of neat for a 20 year old to get a glimpse of.

At the time, I only remembered him from Conan. I didn't say anything about that, but I was having dinner at the home of some old time character actors who had invited him, when I saw their 1940/50's black & whites on the walls I recognized them from some classic movies (just didn't know their names), so they were all talking about the good old days and what not. You know how it is, faces you've seen a zillion times, just weren't big enough stars for people to readily know their names. In the 15 or so years since then I have seen him in at least 25-50 movies. I found it interesting that he had grown up in NYC, attending the same high school my kid brother went to. Anyway, sort of neat for a 20 year old to get a glimpse of.

As a boy, I really enjoyed Arnold & Milius' CTB. It has held-up only semi-well for me. The artistic success that it did achieve was probably because Dino & crew took it seriously. Mako was good in it & made for a pretty darn good narrator too. Nice voice. Interesting face.

The sequel was terrible. Terrible camp. Unlike good camp ---- Flash Gordon (1980?) & 1960's Batman.

Edited by TupennyConan

Recently, I have gotten interested in Conan again and picked up a couple of pulps. I'd like to get all the Weird Tales with Conan story covers and then start working on the Arkham House and Gnome books (I just got outbid on a sweet copy of Skull-Face and Others :pullhair:).

Just curious, how much do pulps w/ Conan stories in them tend to run?

I have a complete run, love the Barbarian. Some of the most well written tales ever scribed into comic books. They were always entertaining books, and Thomas; had for me, a genius way of taking me into the story itself, and off to adventure in these far lands abroad.

Conan will always RULE!!!!!

I have a complete run, love the Barbarian. Some of the most well written tales ever scribed into comic books. They were always entertaining books, and Thomas; had for me, a genius way of taking me into the story itself, and off to adventure in these far lands abroad.

Conan will always RULE!!!!!

Yep, same here. A full run I began and finished as a kid. Some of the issues are pretty well read, and I can usually look at the cover and flash back to what is on the inside :cloud9:

Hither came Conan...

img227-1.jpg

I have two complete runs of Conan from issue 25 - 150 in high grade. Here is my collection of Conan 1 - 24 --- left column is CGC, right column raw (with some raw multiples). My goal is to have them all in 9.6 White. I haven't added to it in some time so maybe I'll get back on my horse...

1 9.6 W ; NM-

2 9.4 W

3 9.6 W ; VF+, VF+

4 9.4 W

5 ; NM-

6 9.6 W ; NM-

7 9.6 W ; VF

8 9.6 W ; NM-

9 9.4 W

10 9.6 W

11 9.4 W

12 9.6 OW/W ; VF

13 9.6 W ; NM

14 ; NM, VF-

15 9.6 OW/W ; NM, VF-

16 ; NM

17 9.6. W ; NM-

18 ; NM

19 ; NM-

20 ; NM-

21 ; NM-

22 9.6 W ; NM

23 ; NM

24 ; NM

that book rocks :headbang:

Conan is like Dungeons and Dragons.

Hey, that's exactly why I liked Conan (and still do)! lol:cloud9:

Not that I was a big D&D geek back in the day ( hm ), but I've always liked that whole Sword-n-Sorcery genre. It is unfortunate that there is so little buzz of late. :(

Still, lots of keen Conan items popping up in this thread! (thumbs u

Hey, how about that Conan "Bronze" Medallion/Coin that was offered in the comics from the later '70's? I've only ever seen 1 on eBay, last yr (I think). I recall a Spider-Man one and perhaps one other too. What's the story on that -- availabilty, value, etc? ... any scans out there -- who has that piece?

As a boy, I really enjoyed Arnold & Milius' CTB. It has held-up only semi-well for me. The artistic success that it did achieve was probably because Dino & crew took it seriously. Mako was good in it & made for a pretty darn good narrator too. Nice voice. Interesting face.

The sequel was terrible. Terrible camp. Unlike good camp ---- Flash Gordon (1980?) & 1960's Batman.

As much as people complain about Conan The Destroyer the story is really more like the REH stories than Conan The Barbarian. It just goes to show you, what makes good reading does not necessarly make good cinema.

As much as people complain about Conan The Destroyer the story is really more like the REH stories than Conan The Barbarian. It just goes to show you, what makes good reading does not necessarly make good cinema.

conan movies rocked,we need another to finish off the trilogy. I wonder if Marvel kicking itself for letting Conan go?

Edited by DAVIDBANNER

Hither came Conan...

img227-1.jpg

Gorgeous copy Tupenny! :applause:

The only Gnome I have so far is Tales of Conan, but I hope to pick up the others. I'd even like to pick up The Return of Conan even though it's all Nyberg (not even de Campinated Howard), just for the cool Wally Wood dust jacket.

Jeff

Recently, I have gotten interested in Conan again and picked up a couple of pulps. I'd like to get all the Weird Tales with Conan story covers and then start working on the Arkham House and Gnome books (I just got outbid on a sweet copy of Skull-Face and Others :pullhair:).

Depends on the issue and condition. The two I posted were in the $200-300 range. You can pick up lower grade copies for around $100. Certain covers, like some of the more risque Brundage covers or the Batgirl cover are pricey.

Jeff

Depends on the issue and condition. The two I posted were in the $200-300 range. You can pick up lower grade copies for around $100. Certain covers, like some of the more risque Brundage covers or the Batgirl cover are pricey.

Jeff

The Weird Tales pulps are great. I used to have all of them except for the 1st appearance (Dec 32, I believe). They do not surface on eBay as often as they used to (1999 - 2001), but you can still find most of them if you keep an eye out for them. I have been out of the pulp game for a while and am not aware of any current dealers that carry a decent selection, but when back then I believe that David T. Alexander Collectibles had most of them. (shrug)