• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan Comics
10 10

1,135 posts in this topic

On 7/10/2014 at 1:55 PM, Brian48 said:

A good day for number 2s!

148552.jpg.c92d389cf67c69ba387daeffcf734249.jpg

I like that cover artwork on Savage Tales#2. I remember it well because it is the same artwork that was on one of the first issues of Savage Sword of Conan I bought off the newstand. Don't remember the exact issue number but I think it was around 1988.  I remember buying that issue and it's kind of funny because I was probably 10 at the time and I remember this cashier who was an older lady giving me a hard time about it since I was so young. After looking at the cover she said to me "Aren't you a little young to be buying this?" With my quick rabbit thinking I told her back "oh no that's artwork". :roflmao:She sold it to me and I quickly left. I didn't think she could of stopped me from buying it as it wasn't in the black polybags like the Playboys were on the newstand at that time.

20 hours ago, VegasJeff said:

I found the cover I was referring to in the previous post. It is from Conan Saga#14. I like it better than the original since it has less text covering up the artwork.

Cover for Conan Saga (Marvel, 1987 series) #14

I think I might actually have that issue.  I bought a whole bunch of SSOC readers a couple of years back and a few Sagas were tossed in the mix.  I think this cover is special in that it allows you to "rough" date when it was drawn.  You'll notice this is actually Barry Smith's version of Conan drawn by Buscema.  The fur speedo and amulets only appeared in the earlier issues of the Smith run.

On 2/21/2017 at 4:04 PM, VegasJeff said:

I found the cover I was referring to in the previous post. It is from Conan Saga#14. I like it better than the original since it has less text covering up the artwork.

Cover for Conan Saga (Marvel, 1987 series) #14

That's true but the colours appear to be weaker with less detail. That or its just a bad scan?

Savage Tales #2 cover always looked liked it was ripped straight from the source material...pulps!

Bloody good cover art on that one.

Wow.  Quite a surprise.  Not sure if I should be happy or worried about this.  I think Dark Horse has done a great job with the license since acquiring it.  I hope Marvel doesn't screw the pooch on this one like they did years ago.  The quality at the end was really bad.