• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan Comics
10 10

1,135 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Because of all the "new" Conan fans and old? Conan hasn't been relevant in two decades.

Fox has the movie rights to Conan. Disney owns Fox now. I think this news will somehow be tied into a new Conan movie somehow in the future with Marvel Studios in on it. 

So I think this news will lead to new Conan movie with Marvel's stamp all over it sometime in the future.

28 minutes ago, nepatkm said:

Conan graded books have been steadily climbing in the past year. :gossip:

All books have been in a small vacuum. Conan has been down for the most part. The comparison was made to Star Wars. SW has remained relevant by producing programming for all ages. I feel only older generations have a relation to Conan.

IMG_6392.PNG

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

All books have been in a small vacuum. Conan has been down for the most part. The comparison was made to Star Wars. SW has remained relevant by producing programming for all ages. I feel only older generations have a relation to Conan.

IMG_6392.PNG

Sorry, is that a demographic of Star Wars books or Conan? 

I agree that Conan has an older Audience, but the values have risen recently, and wouldn’t you think that a new marvel movie,or Netflix ( or another media venue) series may increase interest in a younger audience (also rekindle the memories of older viewers) increasing more interest in the original Conan #1 issue? (shrug)

37 minutes ago, nepatkm said:

Sorry, is that a demographic of Star Wars books or Conan? 

I agree that Conan has an older Audience, but the values have risen recently, and wouldn’t you think that a new marvel movie,or Netflix ( or another media venue) series may increase interest in a younger audience (also rekindle the memories of older viewers) increasing more interest in the original Conan #1 issue? (shrug)

That's Conan #1.

No, I don't think slapping "Marvel" on a Conan movie does anything. Marvel movies do well because they are superhero movies.

Also, not sure if you were aware, but they have been talking about a King Conan movie with Arnold as recent as 2017. That surely won't bring anybody below 30, maybe even 35.

Just now, ygogolak said:

That's Conan #1.

No, I don't think slapping "Marvel" on a Conan movie does anything. Marvel movies do well because they are superhero movies.

Also, not sure if you were aware, but they have been talking about a King Conan movie with Arnold as recent as 2017. That surely won't bring anybody below 30, maybe even 35.

Yeah I’m aware of the talks of the king Conan movie, and I’m also aware that the budget for that movie will be bigger under Disney/Marvel.  Hope it goes through. ??:popcorn:

1 hour ago, nepatkm said:

Yeah I’m aware of the talks of the king Conan movie, and I’m also aware that the budget for that movie will be bigger under Disney/Marvel.  Hope it goes through. ??:popcorn:

I just don't see how it appeals to the masses. Especially if they use Arnold. Give me Jason Momoa and we may have something.

No argument really. Conan is not relevant and is likely to remain that way for a while. I won't bore anyone hear with arguments to the contrary (GOTG, GOT, LOTR, Fox/Disney  hm).

I may keep stashing away Windsor-Smith Conans on the cheap however. Beautiful art and classic storylines if nothing else.  (thumbsu

9 hours ago, Brian48 said:

Wow.  Quite a surprise.  Not sure if I should be happy or worried about this.  I think Dark Horse has done a great job with the license since acquiring it.  I hope Marvel doesn't screw the pooch on this one like they did years ago.  The quality at the end was really bad. 

Not sure what to think either. Dark Horse has done well with the comics. Marvel is probably only interested in movie rights so I'm afraid the comic writing will tank. As a fan of the comic and Howards stories this is not great news.

29 minutes ago, Mr Sneeze said:

Not sure what to think either. Dark Horse has done well with the comics. Marvel is probably only interested in movie rights so I'm afraid the comic writing will tank. As a fan of the comic and Howards stories this is not great news.

Don't mean to sound like a jerk, but 2k buyers a month is hard to keep afloat for a decent size publisher.

7 hours ago, ygogolak said:
7 hours ago, Mr Sneeze said:

Don't mean to sound like a jerk, but 2k buyers a month is hard to keep afloat for a decent size publisher.

That's fair.

Maybe Marvel will do fine with it but I can say that another reboot with endless variants (light on substance) is not something I'm terribly interested in. I hope to be proven wrong.

On the plus side, Marvel could potentially add Conan to the masterworks and go back to the original colouring - that would be awesome! I never liked the remastered colouring in the Dark Horse reprints.

Another potential plus is that it's fans that have a lot of the Conan 1's stashed away so if a boom ever hits because of a Marvel movie announcement they should make a few bucks.

I do love the property so I wish it all the best.

Also, if you've never read Howard's originals, go do yourself a big favour.

Edited by Mr Sneeze

9 hours ago, Key Largo Comics said:

I may keep stashing away Windsor-Smith Conans on the cheap however. Beautiful art and classic storylines if nothing else.  (thumbsu

Speculation has ruined sales on this title.  If It's not a #1 or a first Red Sonja, people around here look at it like stinky cheese.

1 hour ago, Mr Sneeze said:

That's fair.

Maybe Marvel will do fine with it but I can say that another reboot with endless variants (light on substance) is not something I'm terribly interested in. I hope to be proven wrong.

On the plus side, Marvel could potentially add Conan to the masterworks and go back to the original colouring - that would be awesome! I never liked the remastered colouring in the Dark Horse reprints.

Another potential plus is that it's fans that have a lot of the Conan 1's stashed away so if a boom ever hits because of a Marvel movie announcement they should make a few bucks.

I do love the property so I wish it all the best.

Also, if you've never read Howard's originals, go do yourself a big favour.

I think that's the plan. Marvel Masterworks and Omnibuses. 

On 1/12/2018 at 8:21 PM, ygogolak said:

That's Conan #1.

I wish Netflix would do either a Conan movie or a series like they do with the Punisher, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and Iron Fist.   It would be mostly like the Punisher.  It would be gritty with cool fighting scenes.  I love those Netflix shows.