• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan Comics
10 10

1,135 posts in this topic

I would note that I am seeing fewer of the pre-#50 issues in decent shape in bargain bins. For whatever that's worth.

To put things in perspective, didn't Conan have circulation on par with Spiderman back in the day? Was it higher? And at any given time Conan had 2-4 titles for a while.

I thought that the latest Dark Horse run was doing very well.

R.

Couldn't agree more...i bought the series up until Busiek was written it and it's a great reading really. And the art is very good too.

one of the very few of the modern titles that it's a must have... :headbang:

regards

Edited by Sir Ped of Ro

If only they could do a high end animated conan on Showtime or HBO that follows the early story lines with some art along the lines of the early "painted" Darkhorse issues, but that would probably be prohibitely expensive.

CONAN: RED NAILS ANIMATED FEATURE

It is fair to say that I am a NUT for all things Robert E. Howard, Conan & BWS.

yeah, i'm not thrilled with that sort of cartoony animation though. love the kaluta stuff. i wish they could train a computer or a team of 100 korean animators to do it like kaluta (or wrightson or adams or smith...heck, big john buscema would be ok too)

yeah, i'm not thrilled with that sort of cartoony animation though. love the kaluta stuff. i wish they could train a computer or a team of 100 korean animators to do it like kaluta (or wrightson or adams or smith...heck, big john buscema would be ok too)

I am not too hopeful due to the art style shown either...

But my attitude is I'll take what I can get & pray for the best.

To have The Studio artists you mention on board would be a dream come true.

What, you didn't see Tarzan the musical?

Well, the Western Genre (Lone Ranger) took a big dive. Although there were some good westerns this year (which I hope to see on cable or netflix at some point), not much for character based merchandising.

And tarzan, a big remnant of colonialism and racism (and heck, when you think of africa now you think of a lot more depressing topics than jungle vine swinging). you couldn't show some of those tarzan movies in theatres nowadays without them getting burned down. conan, being pure fantasy, is easier to keep "current".

I like the Conan books a lot. Some great covers and artwork. Mix in some entertaining stories. There was more buzz 25 years ago but there was also more for Teen Titans, Dazzler, Cloak & Dagger....

I think a good, R-rated HBO or Showtime series could revive some interest.

Well, the Western Genre (Lone Ranger) took a big dive. Although there were some good westerns this year (which I hope to see on cable or netflix at some point), not much for character based merchandising.

And tarzan, a big remnant of colonialism and racism (and heck, when you think of africa now you think of a lot more depressing topics than jungle vine swinging). you couldn't show some of those tarzan movies in theatres nowadays without them getting burned down. conan, being pure fantasy, is easier to keep "current".

yeah good points. it also shows how you can be on top(tarzan,loneranger,doc savage,the shadow) and not even being relevant with todays generation. I could also see this happening to superman soon especially if DC loses the copyright..

mmmmmm Buscema

Buscema's women! Just look at that girl! :cloud9: I assume that those are Ernie Chan inks. Great pages.

Albert Moy had a nice Buscema Conan page in Chicago this year --- tavern scene with Conan beating down a rowdy who puts the move on his wench. I think the phrase "tavern wench" was used.

I actually went to see it earlier this year. :sorry: Though, in my defense, I was in the company of a beautiful woman. :grin: Actually, I have to admit that it wasn't half-bad! :insane:

I have always been a huge Conan fan - I was reading the original REH stories even before I was reading comics. In fact, I'd say that there is no other character/title in comics that, for me, is as consistently enjoyable as Conan - I can pick up just about any issue of any title featuring our favorite Cimmerian and enjoy it. As much as I enjoyed certain creator runs in titles like Daredevil, the X-Men, etc., these titles have also had so many bad runs and have been so bogged down with continuity that many issues are simply unreadable.

I'd have to say that, in the past several years, my favorite comics reading material has been the Dark Horse TPB reprints of the original Conan series, and I can't wait for the SSOC trades to start coming out next month. :cloud9: There's just something about escaping to the Hyborian world and all the fighting, wenching, thieving and pure barbarian goodness that you just can't get from superhero comics, IMO. By the way, I also recently purchased and read Dark Horse's "Conan and the Midnight God" TPB - great story featuring Conan as King of Aquilonia. I would highly recommend it, it is a great Conan story.

I think a big reason why Conan isn't as collected or discussed that much on this Board is, sadly, because most of the comics aren't worth much aside from the first 24 issues of CTB and maybe the first few issues of SSOC. Most American comic collectors seem to prefer the superhero genre anyway for some reason.

By the way, here's a piece from my original art collection - the Earl Norem cover to SSOC #55. :cloud9:

48338-EarlNoremSSOC55cover.jpg.8346ec4ddaa39b65bc6817480acc7500.jpg

If only they could do a high end animated conan on Showtime or HBO that follows the early story lines with some art along the lines of the early "painted" Darkhorse issues, but that would probably be prohibitely expensive.

CONAN: RED NAILS ANIMATED FEATURE

It is fair to say that I am a NUT for all things Robert E. Howard, Conan & BWS.

I was looking forward to that Red Nails animated movie, but it seems like it's been stuck in production limbo forever. :(

I think Conan has seen quite a revival in the last few years with the release of the Wandering Star unedited versions of the stories, the new Dark Horse comics, the possibilty of a new movie, and the Age of Conan video game. Conan hasn't been this visible in years.

I'm also a big fan of REH and Conan, but like Blob said, I finished my comic and SSOC runs a long time ago. Recently, I have gotten interested in Conan again and picked up a couple of pulps. I'd like to get all the Weird Tales with Conan story covers and then start working on the Arkham House and Gnome books (I just got outbid on a sweet copy of Skull-Face and Others :pullhair:).

Here's my first two WTs:

WeirdTales1934-08sm.jpg

1934-05fcsm.jpg

on these boards Conan comics seem to be an afterthought. almost never see them posted in the “this week in your collection” thread. he’s never discussed. he’s like a red headed stepchild. has he ever been popular on these boards?

(shrug)

Conan #1 was voted the third most important book of the Bronze Age on these boards in the BA Survivor Series (after GS XMEN 1 and Hulk 181), so I think it's fair to say there's a good deal of respect for Conan in these parts. But as people have noted, the books are readily available and most people who want them already have them.

Here's one of my favorite covers--Buscema without Chan clogging up the works:

Conan96.jpg

Edited by JohnT