• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan Comics
10 10

1,135 posts in this topic

The Dark Horse series is actually what got me back into collecting after 22 years. Recently, I went into a LCS for fun and picked up a few issues and was sucked right back in. It inspired me to rebuild my bronze and silver age Marvel collection. It's funny because thanks to the internet silver age stuff is so readily available. When I was a kid, those comics had an almost magical quality to them as I could rarely locate anything from the silver age. Anyway, sorry for going off topic. I am currently on the hunt for a nice raw Conan #1, a comic I could only dream of owning when I was a kid.

IMG_0006.jpg

What is this from, and who drew it? Reminds me of Nestor Redondo.

IMG_0010.jpg

It is from a 1981 paperback version of the Flame Knife, the cover is posted on page 10 of this thread. It's full of artwork from someone named Estaban Maroto. Here is another one.

I agree on the "What If" issues, I really enjoyed them (and I wasn't even a Conan fan, I just loved that series). I remember him keeping the coins and throwing away the paper money, and his battle w/ Captain America is great, esp. when Cap throws his shield and breaks Conan's sword ("Crom and Y'mir!"), and Conan slicing through Cap's shoulder at the end. Great story.

I would recommend the collections of Howard's original stories to anyone, whether you're a Conan fan or not. Good writing is good writing, period. You can probably get them through your local library (that's where I found the one I read; I plan to read the others eventually) and it won't cost you anything.

I've never seen that album or those paperbacks, thanks to everyone for sharing the pics. Makes me want to look for some the next time I'm in one of the local used bookstores.

I saw the Dark Horse TPB in B&N over the weekend. Did anyone pick it up? Just wondering how it is.

Here's another Conan piece from my OA collection - I believe this was a prelim that Boris Vallejo did for the Conan the Barbarian (1982) movie poster, featuring Conan and Valeria. Enjoy! :headbang:

49270-BorisConan2.JPG.68dad97533562d6f2e884fb522e16d7b.JPG

BWS's covers looks amateurish compared to that estrada guy from the paperback.

But then again, those BWS interiors can be better than the covers.

And for whatever reason, black and white really captures that genre. Perhaps it is my SSOC bias.

Here's another Conan piece from my OA collection - I believe this was a prelim that Boris Vallejo did for the Conan the Barbarian (1982) movie poster, featuring Conan and Valeria. Enjoy! :headbang:

Gene, with all due respect my man (I know you recently dropped big $$$ on that AM) but DUDE...that piece deserves a better frame doh!

Gene, with all due respect my man (I know you recently dropped big $$$ on that AM) but DUDE...that piece deserves a better frame doh!

lol

I know, I know...I left it in the frame that came with it when I bought it. It's literally falling apart, which is why I don't even have it hanging up anymore. :sorry:

Did you ever try the Savage Sword of Conan or Savage Tales mags?

Picked up a stack of 80 late SSoC from ft88 last week or so on a lark and now I can't wait to get the books in my hand. They should provide some fun reading for a good loooong time.

I've always liked Conan. I have been reading the current DH series and was also reading Marvel reprints in the 80's. Some Conan novels were the first books I read entirely in English. Let me tell you that I had to crack the dictionary a LOT when going through the book. Descriptions were killer for my level of English proficiency at the time. This takes me back to simpler days ... :cloud9:

I've got a ton left that i'm moving for a buck if you need any more pre 150, as I'm going to the trades coming out for space reasons. Yea it's a smaller format but hopefully they will be good.

WOW! To own an original Boris! (worship)

only thing that would be better than that would be an Original Frazetta!

Needless to say, if you ever wanna sell that piece, shoot me a pm and I will go sell a kidney! lol