• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan Comics
10 10

1,135 posts in this topic

Hither came Conan...

Conan the Conqueror, Gnome Press 1950. First Conan in book form.

img227-1.jpg

Nice Gnome! Those are hard to find in that condition. I have always wanted to complete a set, but have not got around to it yet.....

Nice Gnome! Those are hard to find in that condition. I have always wanted to complete a set, but have not got around to it yet.....

Thanks! I need a nice 1st REH Weird Tales & a nice 1st Conan Weird Tales...

No, he is not popular. I think there is nothing worse than to have a character or run of books have a meteoric rise in popularity and then a fall off. Conan is like Dungeons and Dragons. There are a few hard core fans but the buzz is non existant even to the point where you can't make fun anymore. Lots of folks selling collections wholesale and lots of high grade copies since speculators bought them in bulk back in the 70's.

Speaking of redheaded step children....

scan0020.jpg

scan0021.jpg

I'm a big fan of Conan and collect the comics. It might be a small world when it comes to Conan but I happen to be in it. Let me know if you want to sell that #23.

Thanks for sharing the OA and the old books! The armor on the cover of the 1950's book threw me off though. lol

I know. What is that goofy panache waiving around on his helmet and that chain (?) hovering around his waist?

Frazetta was the first to give Conan his "true look", .....sullen-eyed....gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth....:

img254-1.jpg

img255-1.jpg

I love Conan! CTB is what got me actually COLLECTING comics as opposed to just reading one here & there. As such, it is the first series I ever completed, natch.

I once flew by myself at 13 years old (give or take) from the Charlotte Heroes Con back to Cincinnati (with a plane switch in Newark, NJ to boot) with a brown grocery bag loaded with about 50 Conan back issues as my carry-on luggage!! :D

Ah, the glory days of eating pizza, playing D&D, drinking soda pop, and browsing through Conans with my friends up the street on a weekend night. Oh, to be 12 again! :)

REH - (worship)

Not my auctions!!!

Conancoinfront.jpg

Conancoinback.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.ca/marvel-comics-Conan-the-Barbarian-bronze-medal-coin_W0QQitemZ290186190547QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33811QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

conandhcoin.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290186816429&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.ca%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D290186816429%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

Conan is like Dungeons and Dragons.

Hey, that's exactly why I liked Conan (and still do)! lol:cloud9:

Not that I was a big D&D geek back in the day ( hm ), but I've always liked that whole Sword-n-Sorcery genre. It is unfortunate that there is so little buzz of late. :(

Still, lots of keen Conan items popping up in this thread! (thumbs u

Hey, how about that Conan "Bronze" Medallion/Coin that was offered in the comics from the later '70's? I've only ever seen 1 on eBay, last yr (I think). I recall a Spider-Man one and perhaps one other too. What's the story on that -- availabilty, value, etc? ... any scans out there -- who has that piece?

Edited by kidcolt

Good to see a monster thread on my all time favorite character, Conan.

The paperbacks with the Frazetta covers, is their some price guide for these? I have tons of this material as I have been a reader since I was just a wee battle axe wielding lad.

I did not appreciate the tie in influence Conan has had on me in being the Uber nerd I am today. My formative years were described perfectly in a prior post on this thread right down to the DnD, order in pizza, and filling in my all things Conan but especially my Savage Sword of Conan run. Maybe my problems with workplace authority can be traced back to the Cimmerian approach to problem solving?

And to hear Bill wax poetic on Frazetta influence on this REH creation lends weight to why I like this board.

As a by the way, great issue you have to read, is the What If issue dropping Conan in 20th century. Would he be a criminal or superhero type. How would the Cimmerians moral compass mesh within the framework of modern day laws? Classic stuff, with his besting of Cap America, and the shot at the end, of will call that number to join Avengers.

As a by the way, great issue you have to read, is the What If issue dropping Conan in 20th century.

I love the scene where he first arrives in the 20th century and ends up roughing up someone for money - not knowing any better, he ends up taking the coins and throwing away the paper money. lol

And to hear Bill wax poetic on Frazetta influence on this REH creation lends weight to why I like this board.

REH is the man Glen.

Have you seen the movie "The Whole Wide World"? Go take a look at amazon and you'll probably buy it if you haven't seen it already. Your wife would like it as its pretty much a love story, albiet a tragic one (the best kind anyway, right?). I own a copy...eBay I think...

I also read REH's girlfriend's biography of him entitled "One Who Walked Alone" which was the basis for the movie.

When my wife was in the hospital bed going into labor with Master Jack, I had the book in my hands trying to read it without her getting too pi@@ed-off!!! lol I'm hardcore man.

And yeah, I read the What if? too.

Still might come down south next weekend....gotta contact Mike...