• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"De-Personalizing" OA?

17 posts in this topic

Just had a quick question hopefully some of you can help me out with.

For those of you who have purchased a personalized sketches (and it has NOT been personalized for YOU), what do you do?

-Leave it alone?

-Remove it?

If you remove it, 1. what method do you use and 2. will this devalue the art (providing the actual sketch hasn't been touched?)

THANKS!!!

It's too bad that I don't have the original unmodified scan, and that I am at work and I can't link to my CAF.

I was lucky enough to buy a Mike Zeck Punisher sketch but it was personalized to someone else. I contacted Mike Zeck to ask if he could add a graphitti background (with the personalization being part of it). He said that was too much work but instead added alot of blacks and shadows, blacking out the personalization.

The finished artwork looks great! I'll link you when I get home (CAF is blocked at work)

Malvin

It's too bad that I don't have the original unmodified scan, and that I am at work and I can't link to my CAF.

I was lucky enough to buy a Mike Zeck Punisher sketch but it was personalized to someone else. I contacted Mike Zeck to ask if he could add a graphitti background (with the personalization being part of it). He said that was too much work but instead added alot of blacks and shadows, blacking out the personalization.

The finished artwork looks great! I'll link you when I get home (CAF is blocked at work)

Malvin

hm ... I never even thought of that. Any other ideas?

But Malvin,

What do you do when it's a published page? Say personalized to "Bob" f'rinstance? lol

Brian

Give it to me? :grin:

Really interesting topic. I've seen some convention sketches that I've liked but with a big ole personalization that really detracts from the piece. Sometimes you can get away with framing over the personalization but that requires specific types of compositions. Anyone just gone to town with whiteout before?

-Bob

I have a personalized (to someone else) convention sketch I got very cheaply and want to give it as a gift, I'm tempted to cut out the personalization - it wouldn't affect the art. Does anyone know of a cheap do-it-yourself frame kit where you could fold it under or block it out?

I have a personalized (to someone else) convention sketch I got very cheaply and want to give it as a gift, I'm tempted to cut out the personalization - it wouldn't affect the art. Does anyone know of a cheap do-it-yourself frame kit where you could fold it under or block it out?

You could make a custom matte for the frame. Hobby Lobby & Michael's routinely have sales on custom framing so you could probably do this quite cheaply.

-Bob

Give it to me? :grin:

Really interesting topic. I've seen some convention sketches that I've liked but with a big ole personalization that really detracts from the piece. Sometimes you can get away with framing over the personalization but that requires specific types of compositions. Anyone just gone to town with whiteout before?

-Bob

Sorry Bob, But no.

I actually love the page, wouldn't have gotten it otherwise. It just so happens to be dedicated to the Editor of the book, with thanks etc. What are you gonna do? I'm sure it reduces the value but as I have no plans to sell, that is not a concern. Everyone probably has some piece of art out there that the personalization would not deter them from buying. What if 99% of Kirby art was personalized to various different people? Would no one appreciate the art? In the case of some Pop Art, a dedication on the page can increase value because it can help prove provenance. Interesting topic nonetheless.

Brian

Well, I think it's beyond cropping out via matte work, but I guess I could check with my father-in-law. He's really, really into mounting artwork, etc. And it's definitely a piece I'd want framed. Very nice looking all in all.

And like anything I ever add to my collection, it's something I plan to keep. I am simply concerned about not damaging the value because while it will remain in my collection, it's kinda fun to know I'm not just collecting "stuff" but "stuff" with some value. :)

Sorry Bob, But no.

I actually love the page, wouldn't have gotten it otherwise. It just so happens to be dedicated to the Editor of the book, with thanks etc. What are you gonna do? I'm sure it reduces the value but as I have no plans to sell, that is not a concern. Everyone probably has some piece of art out there that the personalization would not deter them from buying. What if 99% of Kirby art was personalized to various different people? Would no one appreciate the art? In the case of some Pop Art, a dedication on the page can increase value because it can help prove provenance. Interesting topic nonetheless.

Brian

Well that changes everything a personalization to the editior adds a bit to the story of the page. Its not just a Bob.

I think most would say keep the inscription under these conditions.

You have a published piece and the inscription is to the editior of said page. Keep it like it is.

Then go get your name changed to BOB

lol

OK, I'm home

here is the link to my punisher sketch

As I said, too bad I didn't keep a scan of the unmodified sketch, but the background used to be all white, and Mike Zeck added the blacks to show a shadow for Punisher and hide the dedication.

As for published pages, I have a few with dedications too, but on published pages, those tend to be small and out of the way, or maybe I have just been lucky.

Malvin

Sorry Bob, But no.

The one time I thought being named Bob would get me something :P

I actually love the page, wouldn't have gotten it otherwise. It just so happens to be dedicated to the Editor of the book, with thanks etc. What are you gonna do? I'm sure it reduces the value but as I have no plans to sell, that is not a concern.

Gotta agree with buyatari and think having the page addressed to the editor is pretty cool, and think it would be better value-wise when compared to a regular ole Bob dedication. This is a fun little addition to the piece as long as the personalization isn't too distracting.

Doesn't Sterako personalize all his signings and art?

-Bob

You could make a custom matte for the frame. Hobby Lobby & Michael's routinely have sales on custom framing so you could probably do this quite cheaply.

-Bob

Thanks for the tip Bob. I'll check it out.

Bob

Sorry Bob, But no.

I actually love the page, wouldn't have gotten it otherwise. It just so happens to be dedicated to the Editor of the book, with thanks etc. What are you gonna do? I'm sure it reduces the value but as I have no plans to sell, that is not a concern.

Gotta agree with buyatari and think having the page addressed to the editor is pretty cool, and think it would be better value-wise when compared to a regular ole Bob dedication. This is a fun little addition to the piece as long as the personalization isn't too distracting.

-Bob

Yes, he does. Unless you have paid for him to sign the piece.

-Connor Creator of The Jim Steranko Fan Club.

Sorry Bob, But no.

-Bob

Not all...almost all. If you are willing to pay a fee for the signature he will sign without personalization. Otherwise his signature is personalized and free.

C

I have a couple of pieces that have been personalized to other people...it's not ideal, but one is just a con sketch (by Romita), so what do you expect, and the other is signed in the margin outside of the artwork so it doesn't bother me much.

I had one piece that the artist personalized "To Gene", though it was on the back and in pencil. The funny thing is, I ended up selling it to someone named "Genevieve", so it kind of fit its new owner as well. :insane: