• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A bit OT, but man this is cool.....

15 posts in this topic

Having read the catalog, Ross Perot purchased it in the early 1980s for a mere 1.5 million. Guess it was kicked around for a few years before he bought it. He loaned it to the National Archives in DC where it stood next to the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.

I would have to imagine that either England or the US would go after it pretty aggressively.

Pretty darn cool. I remember seeing it at the Archives. I wonder who will end up winning it.

This is very cool, thanks for posting! I've always been interested in historical documents, and possibly collecting them. Obviously not on this scale, though!

Pretty darn cool. I remember seeing it at the Archives. I wonder who will end up winning it.

This is very cool, thanks for posting! I've always been interested in historical documents, and possibly collecting them. Obviously not on this scale, though!

Yeah, that's a whole 'nother level there. Makes OA prices look like pittance.

I'm surprised that this is the only copy not in a museum. I thought for sure that Bangzoom would have one lying around somewhere. :grin::jokealert:

$21.3 million.

Seems cheap if you ask me.

The pre-sale estimate was $20 to $30 million, explicitly stated as before commission, which means it did not even meet the low end of estimates as the $21.3 million included the juice. :cry::sorry:

I agree, it does seem cheap compared to where a lot of comic art is being priced these days. :eek:

You're right Gene. I would have to think Sotheby's was a bit disappointed by the results. Considering that JK Rowling's little Harry Potter book went for something like 4million a few weeks earlier. Tells you something about society and the minds of collectors.