• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

List of Classic Covers, designated by Overstreet and/or CGC
3 3

164 posts in this topic

Wow, that Air Ace is great. Just when I thought there was no comic I hadn't seen in 35 years in the hobby...

I am super impressed by that book too.

Who is the cover artist? What is the interior art like? It is really, really great art.

Bob Powell :cloud9:. He had a fine eye for "talent". He drew an issue of American Air Forces (I don't know which one, it's one of the A-1 issues) where the heroine has half her chest hanging out in every panel.

I forget what the interior is like in this one hm. I'll have to check it out & get back to you. IIRC it's Powell interior as well. Air Ace as a run has some really nice covers that are HUGELY overlooked.

Bob Powell :cloud9:. He had a fine eye for "talent". He drew an issue of American Air Forces (I don't know which one, it's one of the A-1 issues) where the heroine has half her chest hanging out in every panel.

I forget what the interior is like in this one hm. I'll have to check it out & get back to you. IIRC it's Powell interior as well. Air Ace as a run has some really nice covers that are HUGELY overlooked.

Yes, he is a "talent"-ed guy. It is a really great cover, I want to repeat.

The more I think about it...Will every "bondage cover" eventually become a "classic bondage cover" as it becomes older - thus becomming "classic" as in "old"?

Like take Spider-Woman #6. It says "Bondage Cover". Now fast forward 50 or 60 years. Will it them become a "classic bondage cover"? Just struck me looking at those.

What makes a cover "classic"? It's impact at the time, over the years or it's age?

The more I think about it...Will every "bondage cover" eventually become a "classic bondage cover" as it becomes older - thus becomming "classic" as in "old"?

Like take Spider-Woman #6. It says "Bondage Cover". Now fast forward 50 or 60 years. Will it them become a "classic bondage cover"? Just struck me looking at those.

What makes a cover "classic"? It's impact at the time, over the years or it's age?

That's really hard to say. Even when it comes to golden age books, I'd say less than 5% of the bondage covers are designated as "classic". Again, I really don't know what the criteria is in choosing one book over the other.

That's really hard to say. Even when it comes to golden age books, I'd say less than 5% of the bondage covers are designated as "classic". Again, I really don't know what the criteria is in choosing one book over the other.

Yeah, I have to admit I'm not familiar with a vast amount of GA material. It was just seeing that from issues #89-94 CGC designated 3 classic bondage covers for one series. I wonder what made each one classic in CGC's opinion?

You know, there is just something about those vibrant deep reds and yellows they used on these covers back then that just blow away anything used today. (worship)

Primary Colors! :cloud9: