• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

List of Classic Covers, designated by Overstreet and/or CGC
3 3

164 posts in this topic

The more I think about it...Will every "bondage cover" eventually become a "classic bondage cover" as it becomes older - thus becomming "classic" as in "old"?

Like take Spider-Woman #6. It says "Bondage Cover". Now fast forward 50 or 60 years. Will it them become a "classic bondage cover"? Just struck me looking at those.

What makes a cover "classic"? It's impact at the time, over the years or it's age?

That's really hard to say. Even when it comes to golden age books, I'd say less than 5% of the bondage covers are designated as "classic". Again, I really don't know what the criteria is in choosing one book over the other.

Yeah, I have to admit I'm not familiar with a vast amount of GA material. It was just seeing that from issues #89-94 CGC designated 3 classic bondage covers for one series. I wonder what made each one classic in CGC's opinion?

Actually, #90 is also designated as a "classic" cover by CGC, but my copy is PGX graded.

If this isn't one, it ought to be:

startling46.jpg

That's on the list along with Startling 49.

What's really surprising is the lack of Planet Comics covers. Planet 28 is not a classic cover? Any of the Doolin covers from 51-57 could be considered classics. Who makes these designations again? Is this just a general concensus thing?

I have a hard time with a lot of Timelys because they all look the same. You'd have to give "classic" notation to about 2/3 of the Schomburg covers.

Classic should imply a run that stands out above the others. When someone mentions the title, that cover should pop into your head. When someone mentions the issue you should know it instantly. With a lot of Timelys, I still say, "which one is that?"

Not that they're not great covers, it's just saturation.

Same goes for moderns. There are a LOT of great images out there....every month. They can't all be classic.

I have a hard time with a lot of Timelys because they all look the same. You'd have to give "classic" notation to about 2/3 of the Schomburg covers.

Classic should imply a run that stands out above the others. When someone mentions the title, that cover should pop into your head. When someone mentions the issue you should know it instantly. With a lot of Timelys, I still say, "which one is that?"

Not that they're not great covers, it's just saturation.

Same goes for moderns. There are a LOT of great images out there....every month. They can't all be classic.

Yeah, I feel the same way about 2/3rds of Neal Adams' covers. Looking through Batman titles he did covers for, I kept thinking, "Wow, that's not a classic? It should be".

I have a hard time with a lot of Timelys because they all look the same.

Thems fightin' words buddy! :sumo:

Here's another head-scratcher. This cover is so classic that it falls into the iconic category...

action252.jpg

Is it possible for a cover to be too classic?

Sorry Richard, but I agree with buttock. That felt like an odd sentence to type. hm

But does buttock agree with you?

Sorry Richard, but I agree with buttock. That felt like an odd sentence to type. hm

For some reason that sounds nasty. (tsk)

For some reason that sounds nasty. (tsk)

The buttock agrees.

:sumo:

Wow, that Air Ace is great. Just when I thought there was no comic I hadn't seen in 35 years in the hobby...

I am super impressed by that book too.

Who is the cover artist? What is the interior art like? It is really, really great art.

I checked the book. 1st story is great Powell art with some more nice "talent". The rest is stock GA, although one story is pretty cool for it's having a lot of apocalyptic predictions - A-bombs & the like.