• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze-Age Spideys
12 12

1,660 posts in this topic

On 4/15/2018 at 3:16 PM, MGsimba77 said:

I'll guess between 8.5 & 9.2 after pressing. The graders will hammer that stain on the corner. Nonetheless it's a gem book on the move!! 

I'd guess 4.5 for the stain, maybe even a 4.0.

OP should keep it in a mylar and enjoy it raw.

13 minutes ago, NP_Gresham said:

I'd guess 4.5 for the stain, maybe even a 4.0.

OP should keep it in a mylar and enjoy it raw.

You're probably closer to being right. I like to be optimistic :). They hammer that kind of permeating stain.

Even at that lower grade it's still more than worth it. Who knows, few years from now he can sell it for way more than whatever he ends up dishing out after grading. 

You guys think the stain will drop it all the way to a 4.0 possibly?? Aside from the stain, its in really nice shape. Thats sad if it falls all that way. On the other hand, im not into it for that much money so I guess its ok. Just kind of a bummer.

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

The only Bronze age Spidey title I collect.  Picked this up today, only 7 left to go:

Spidey_Super_Stories_19.jpg

That's the only bronze age title I didn't collect back in the day.   There were some good Romita covers in there, but my reading prowess was too advanced for my age to enjoy  the stories.   Good luck with your run, bet some issues are hard to find in high grade :wishluck:

On 5/12/2018 at 5:46 PM, Spider-Variant said:

That's the only bronze age title I didn't collect back in the day.   There were some good Romita covers in there, but my reading prowess was too advanced for my age to enjoy  the stories.   Good luck with your run, bet some issues are hard to find in high grade :wishluck:

I remember reading a few issues when I was very young; there was a Lizard story that I remember in particular creeping the heck out of me.  Now I love them as a combo of nostalgia and the fact that, as an adult, the stories are absolutely BONKERS... they almost read like some of the madder GA books meet the Marvel Age.  

I'm not trying for high grade that much, just decently presenting copies that I can read.  The big problem is most of the issues had a clip & collect stamp on the back, so a lot of copies are cut up on the back cover. 

Spidey_Super_Stories_39.jpg

If any one issue defined my childhood comic collecting, it would be ASM 148.  It had it all.   Beautiful cover, great villians, Gwen Stacy, Mary Jane, cliff hanger ending.  Best 25 cents a boy ever spent. 

Edited by Spider-Variant

4 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

If any one issue defined my childhood comic collecting, it would be ASM 148.  It had it all.   Beautiful cover, great villians, Gwen Stacy, Mary Jane, cliff hanger ending.  Best 25 cents a boy ever spent. 

To my knowledge It was the first cover appearance of Gwen's clone other than 144 where it's just a boot. 

Yes jackal rips off his mask in the end revealing himself as Prof. Warren. I think Warren kills Serba in this issue or was it the next? Anyways, I love Jerry Conway's idea of resurrecting Gwen in the form of a clone to torment Peter! Brilliant! I thought there was too much confusion over the true identity of Peter's clone with later revelations in spectacular spiderman. Just got a bit convoluted.

I had a chance at this issue with a nice Conway sig in 9.6 but I just didn't like the wrapping on it. Besides, the price was way high. Glad you like it

5 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Agreed. That whole run with Gerry remains one of my favorites. Hard to believe how young he was back then.