• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze-Age Spideys
12 12

1,662 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that Spider-Man head on ASM #134 by Romita had an old school Ditko feel? 

image.png.a6d1c09c3734d2d8489464e836e821b6.png  134mjisticker.jpg.ea9d949e9370a1981d2fbe0cb7f9953a.jpg

hm

On 6/7/2019 at 9:11 AM, Spider-Variant said:

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that Spider-Man head on ASM #134 by Romita had an old school Ditko feel? 

image.png.a6d1c09c3734d2d8489464e836e821b6.png

Romita did that several times on covers where it was a side profile. Just looking quickly, 126 and 119.

I appreciate that someone noted their love of the 137 cover.

Honestly, when I saw the post that mentioned purchasing those beautiful 9.6 copies of 134, 135 and 136, I thought about mentioning how brutally disappointed I was as a kid when I saw the cover to 137.

I just absolutely hated it.  My least two favorite covers, from 100-150, were 105 and 137.

lol

1 hour ago, sledgehammer said:

Romita did that several times on covers where it was a side profile. Just looking quickly, 126 and 119.

Honestly, when I saw the post that mentioned purchasing those beautiful 9.6 copies of 134, 135 and 136, I thought about mentioning how brutally disappointed I was as a kid when I saw the cover to 137.

I just absolutely hated it.  My least two favorite covers, from 100-150, were 105 and 137.

lol

Yes, I'm going to agree in that I'm not a huge fan of that 137 cover.  I adore 136 and both 145 and 148 are some of my favorites from that time range.

2 hours ago, sledgehammer said:

hm

134.thumb.jpg.d01036dfaca1be0b4472d40b228543da.jpg 135.thumb.jpg.6ff19c638e93a2d62636c60caae88eed.jpg136.thumb.jpg.9472d60bc13e47cc2d5efc299112ee8c.jpg137.thumb.jpg.5b798d14342975cd01e94adbaf1e8f11.jpg

7 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Yes, I'm going to agree in that I'm not a huge fan of that 137 cover.  I adore 136 and both 145 and 148 are some of my favorites from that time range.

Crazy how two people can see the same cover and have such diametrical views. I have a huge poster of 137 in my comic room lol! If I wanted to be picky about it I'd say the letter font on the "Amazing Spider-Man" title is probably a little too thick. They should have done it the way it looks on 151. Otherwise it's beautiful!

Edited by MGsimba77

On 6/8/2019 at 12:40 AM, mosconi said:

Maybe it's that pointy nose! hm

It's the shape of the head. Ditko drew the head in a little more of an oval shape. It's also the thicker black around the eyes and the black webbing on the costume was closer together less spread out then Romita.

Another difference was how scrawny Ditko drew him but those were before the days of steroid heads/muscle magazines being popularized in media... before Arnold and all that stuff 

You can actually track how artists drew super heroes pretty closely to the evolution of professional bodybuilding

Edited by MGsimba77

9 hours ago, sledgehammer said:

lol

That's what makes collecting so fun and interesting, we all have different opinions and eye appeals, and they can all be appreciated.  I find Kane's sinister rendition of the Goblin on #137 very cool and visually entertaining!  And don't forget his fantastic Goblin drug cover too! :cloud9:

aasm 98197.jpg

2 hours ago, sledgehammer said:

The font had always caught my eye, but I had never really concentrated on it. Cool catch!

I think I'm just a Romita nut. 122 and 136 were so beautiful, but the Goblin's face on 137, and the glass shattering still in the air even though he has fired a web in the room, it just did nothing for me.

The cover for 98 was just awesome tho, I like it better than 97.

A couple of recent additions....

Congrats on some beautiful books!  I've always loved the bold, vibrant colors on the Spidey/Dr Strange issue.  And the Man-Wolf book is a very underrated cover, really admire that one too!  Here's my copy:

asm 124182.jpg

4 hours ago, mosconi said:

Congrats on some beautiful books!  I've always loved the bold, vibrant colors on the Spidey/Dr Strange issue.  And the Man-Wolf book is a very underrated cover, really admire that one too!  Here's my copy:

That's very pretty.  I never should have sold my run ten years ago. My 9.2 White back then rivaled your 9.4. At least I can still look at the scan on my computer.

doh!

This time I've really avoided OW books, but most of the wraps are as pretty as the run that I sold back then.

Oh, the 104 that I used to have.

Even now, I spot a few of the OW-W books that I'll be looking to upgrade.

I don't think my 9.0 129 will be one of them. I love the 130 cover. It reminds me of that Christmas season.. Very nice copies!!

DSC04886.JPG

10 hours ago, sledgehammer said:

That's very pretty.  I never should have sold my run ten years ago. My 9.2 White back then rivaled your 9.4. At least I can still look at the scan on my computer.

Not sure if you're referring to that 124 you posted? That's a chronically mis wrapped issue. The centered copies with a straight marvel banner are outnumbered. Why would you have sold that one?

24 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Not sure if you're referring to that 124 you posted? That's a chronically mis wrapped issue. The centered copies with a straight marvel banner are outnumbered. Why would you have sold that one?

The 124 I posted was the recent acquisition. It's not as pretty as the White page 9.2 that I sold ten years ago.

Here's the scan of it. I don't have a great answer why I decided I was done collecting ten years ago.

Between the 9.0 and 9.2  129, the 9.0 101, and this 124, it bothers me a bit that I bailed back then.

DSC04887.JPG

3 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Love this storyline. Loved all of Gerry's stories. They were organic and natural. Having Harry take over the mantle was brilliant. It just made sense. The Len Wein era and beyond didn't really take Spidey anywhere, and Spidey sorta languished until the intro of Hobby in '82. But this was some of the best of the best. 

Would you say that Esposito had a big affect on Andru's art? For me, either Andru started to slip, or Hunt and Giacoia made that big of a difference. After #157, the artwork never impacted me as much.