• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze-Age Spideys
12 12

1,662 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, sledgehammer said:

Would you say that Esposito had a big affect on Andru's art? For me, either Andru started to slip, or Hunt and Giacoia made that big of a difference. After #157, the artwork never impacted me as much.

Hard to say, but the art in the 160s-200s wasn't anything special. The 180s are functionally ugly, #181 being a standout in that respect. I think things got better when JRJR started, but it took him a while to get his stride, too. There's just so much...bleah...between #150 and #237. 

57 minutes ago, sledgehammer said:

The colors on that 122 are just so crazy.

They've held up a bit better than on the copy that I walked to the drug store to buy in 1973.

:preach:

DSC04891.JPG

DSC04892.JPG

Well loved original owner copies from childhood are awesome!

(worship)

I wish i had any of mine.... my mother made quick work of those as soon as i went to college:ohnoez:

I'm gonna post this on the silver thread as well as here. It's an interesting historical rundown of the costume design. It goes on well past '88 with scarlet spiderman and all that but I cropped it at 88 otherwise it would have been harder to read. You'll have to blow it up a little bit 

Spider-Man Infographic Costume Evolution 1962-2014.png

Edited by MGsimba77

On 6/10/2019 at 5:37 PM, sledgehammer said:

Would you say that Esposito had a big affect on Andru's art? For me, either Andru started to slip, or Hunt and Giacoia made that big of a difference. After #157, the artwork never impacted me as much.

I think a little of both.  I think Ross started to burn out toward the end, after five years on the book.  But I also think that Hunt and Giacoia did have a big impact on the finished page.  Mike Esposito is a great guy based on all the things I read about him, but I preferred other inkers on Ross's pencils.

Here's an example from ASM 151, inked by the John Romita (and I'm guessing Dave Hunt on backgrounds), and ASM 180, inked by Mike Esposito.

Anyway, I won't hijack the thread, come over to the Ross Andru thread that @Get Marwood & I started to discuss all things Andru's Amazing Spider-Man run.  This question was right in line with something I had just posted the other day.

image.thumb.png.e5856dd48616ae55aa18c67e6a1ec8a8.png

I think it was Esposito. Take a look at how much better, IMO, the first half of 152 looks compared to the last few pages. I'd bet anything that was Giacoia.

I was so disappointed after seeing that Romita was not involved in 152, after getting spoiled by how beautiful the first half of 151 looked, I'm not sure that I ever admired the interior art again.

It wasn't quite as bad as when Frank Robbins started drawing Captain America, or seeing a great Kane or Romita cover, and finding Don Heck interior art, but I was very let down.

On 6/11/2019 at 8:26 AM, MGsimba77 said:

I already posted a group shot of these but they were in the old slabs. I just  switched phones since the one I've been using was so old it was on life support. I'm testing out this new camera to check how improved it is. I figured this would be an interesting first test shot B|

Maybe at some point I'd be looking to switch the 122 for a nicer wrapped copy? There's an example of me going for the pages. Interesting if that was a darker cover I probably would of gone for a better wrapped one since the white spine would have been more stark.

20190611_025419.jpg

Yeah! That #122 sure is horrible. :eyeroll:

I kind of have a reason for asking this, and I don't have GPA.

I saw a 9.6 148 with OW pages, a pacific coast copy, with a sale pending of $750 on pedigree.

I know the oldest labels don't present as well, but I wasn't that impressed.

No pun intended. Is it just about "potential"?

What have 9.6 sales been like the last couple of years?

Edited by sledgehammer

17 hours ago, sledgehammer said:

I kind of have a reason for asking this, and I don't have GPA.

I saw a 9.6 148 with OW pages, a pacific coast copy, with a sale pending of $750 on pedigree.

I know the oldest labels don't present as well, but I wasn't that impressed.

No pun intended. Is it just about "potential"?

What have 9.6 sales been like the last couple of years?

GPA looks like 192-$340 on non-peds.

last sale 9.8 was over 5k

I imagine it will be a CPR