• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze-Age Spideys
12 12

1,663 posts in this topic

On 6/28/2019 at 3:46 PM, sledgehammer said:

IMO certainly less sought after. I did see an MT 35 9.8 sell for a very high price, less than what Greg Reece has one listed for on ebay.

What's the sense in submitting 9.2 #35s when there is only 1 or 2 lunatics out there chasing them for some sentimental reason, and you have to list them at $50?

:acclaim:

I was one of those lunatics chasing this book years ago. Big, Big Kraven fan. I don't believe I had a nice CGC copy but did have a pretty nice copy form Doug Sulipa. I believe it was a Manitoba copy. Not super high grade from what I recall but probably around a 9.2. I only went after the Marvel Tales with new covers. Also had a Marvel Tales 27. It was either a 9.4 or a 9.6 and it might have even been a Pedigree copy, which one I can't recall. Might have been Oakland.

1 hour ago, Spider-Variant said:

Man, I loved everything about this issue.  Great cover. Lovely Gwen. The Prowler.  Not to mention Hobie Brown.

Peter was fighting a war within himself over Gwen vs obligations of secrecy. His frustration in this issue was at its most intense other than 50. His anguish was avalanching so much it compelled him to tap on Gwen's window to reveal himself and tell the full story about her dad before Prowler intervenes. 

This ties in with issue 87 with whole thing about Hobie pretending to be spider-man. The story here is powerful! You could feel him being torn apart! Romita always drew Hobie and Randy Robertson the same lol. I like the way he drew Peter's facial expressions to fit the moment. 

And Stan was a heck of a storyteller!

56 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

I think y'all know what that elevator panel is (thumbsu 

20200213_144335.jpg

Sorry about the Spanish...couldn't find another one. Still cool artwork 

Whoa, nice book!   Did you get the signatures done or did you buy it that way?  I met John once, class act guy.  

2 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Whoa, nice book!   Did you get the signatures done or did you buy it that way?  I met John once, class act guy.  

Thanks buddy I knew you'd be on that! That's another one you've noted Andru work from! Count yourself lucky for meeting the master (worship)

No I bought it from long standing boardie "RockMyAmadeus". He got it signed through his facilitator. I wanted the Conway on this because of the Gwen thing. His idea

Edited by MGsimba77

On 12/23/2019 at 3:34 PM, Spawnfreak said:

Not quite on the subject, but does anyone know if there were EVER any McFarlane Spidey virgin variants?

I don't know of any comic book cover virgin variants, but I offer up these, from Marvel Poster Book Vol. 1 #1, 1991. Book shown. These are just a few. The first is my fav. If you could tell me how to PM, I will send you scans for all 32!   The visible lines are the folds.

DSCF1790.JPG

The Amazing Spider-Man 328.jpg

Marvel Tales 224.jpg

Spider-Man 1.jpg

The Amazing Spider-Man 300.jpg

The Amazing Spider-Man 301.jpg

16 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Thanks buddy I knew you'd be on that! That's another one you've noted Andru work from! Count yourself lucky for meeting the master (worship)

No I bought it from long standing boardie "RockMyAmadeus". He got it signed through his facilitator. I wanted the Conway on this because of the Gwen thing. His idea

Yes, I like it both signatures.  Very nice book, another cover I really liked from the bronze age ASM.