• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze-Age Spideys
12 12

1,662 posts in this topic

On 4/3/2020 at 8:52 AM, sledgehammer said:

Yea, as if I hadn't already spent too much this year, what presents itself but a chance to buy my first ever graded white 9.4 136 for much lower than I expected to be able to.

I knew I could never live with my 8.5 copy.  :cry:

asm 113 040220.jpg

asm 136.jpg

Like ~ 2.5 years ago I had a chance at a reasonably priced 136 9.6 with a Stan sig at the bottom between Peter & Harry. I mean a perfect signature with the custom Stan label...like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person I decided to pass up :facepalm:

And btw my description of myself was more colorful than "insufficiently thoughtful person" xD

Edited by MGsimba77

9 hours ago, Webhead2018 said:

I still wish I had a Stan sig book

Well they're not exactly scarce in supply. Now the well placed ones that are neat clean signatures, that's another story. The Stan cgc label is discontinued and not readily available everywhere unfortunately 

2 hours ago, Webhead2018 said:

What is difference from whitman variants and the regular first printing covers.

A few quick front cover differences between the U.S. Newstand editions & the U.S. Whitman editions are...

...the UPC box is empty

...the issue number is framed in a 'diamond'

...the letter 'P' in the 'Spider-Man' title logo has a shadow effect which is not colored in blue

On 4/5/2020 at 9:13 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Like ~ 2.5 years ago I had a chance at a reasonably priced 136 9.6 with a Stan sig at the bottom between Peter & Harry. I mean a perfect signature with the custom Stan label...like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person I decided to pass up :facepalm:

And btw my description of myself was more colorful than "insufficiently thoughtful person" xD

I'm lucky enough to have a Stan signed 9.8 book, it doesn't have the custom label and I'm not sure how well placed it is, but one is enough for me. Like you I had a chance at the custom label on a Spidey book for pretty cheap couple years ago, but the seller had also gotten friggin' Humberto Ramos to sign it and jacked up the price as a result. I probably shouldn't have said anything, but he was pretty belligerent when I tried to negotiate. Why he thought that was an added value I have no idea. Never count on someone co-signing a key book while they're still alive to screw it up!

6 hours ago, brentdevil said:

I'm lucky enough to have a Stan signed 9.8 book, it doesn't have the custom label and I'm not sure how well placed it is, but one is enough for me. Like you I had a chance at the custom label on a Spidey book for pretty cheap couple years ago, but the seller had also gotten friggin' Humberto Ramos to sign it and jacked up the price as a result. I probably shouldn't have said anything, but he was pretty belligerent when I tried to negotiate. Why he thought that was an added value I have no idea. Never count on someone co-signing a key book while they're still alive to screw it up!

Yeah "well placed" is in the eye of the beholder. Its just a collector expression but there's no universal standard on that. There are a few infamous signature fiascos that are widely recognized however. Usually when the sig is directly over someone's face or something. 

For me 2 sigs if fine depending on who they are ofcourse. Did Ramos work on that book? Im always a sucker for that Stan label :cloud9: