Bronze-Age Spideys
7 7

798 posts in this topic

3,059 posts

More awesome books.  I used to own a page of original art from Issue 145, another nostalgic issue my brother and I bought when we lived in Hawaii.  Hated getting rid of that page so much.  

Issue 145 was Ross Andru pencils and Frank Giacoia inks , if memory serves.  Issue 146 was drawn by Andru, but inked by a few different folks, affectionately listed as John Romita and the Gang on the Splash page.  Some pages were absolutely gorgeous to me, while a few left me scratching my head.

Anyone else notice this?

  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,351 posts
6 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

More awesome books.  I used to own a page of original art from Issue 145, another nostalgic issue my brother and I bought when we lived in Hawaii.  Hated getting rid of that page so much.  

Issue 145 was Ross Andru pencils and Frank Giacoia inks , if memory serves.  Issue 146 was drawn by Andru, but inked by a few different folks, affectionately listed as John Romita and the Gang on the Splash page.  Some pages were absolutely gorgeous to me, while a few left me scratching my head.

Anyone else notice this?

  

 

I believe it was Don Warfield along with Romita on 146. Joe Rosen was lettering. The page artwork  wasn't always consistent on bronze silver books. I don't think that was uncommon. Maybe it was time constraints? Who knows?

BTW, Gil Kane is the greatest artist ever imo! The only signature I'd want more than Lee's would be his. He lived & passed away in Aventura, FL, a Miami suburb near where I live. Great man!!

Edited by MGsimba77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,059 posts
16 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

I believe it was Don Warfield along with Romita on 146. Joe Rosen was lettering. The page artwork  wasn't always consistent on bronze silver books. I don't think that was uncommon. Maybe it was time constraints? Who knows?

BTW, Gil Kane is the greatest artist ever imo! The only signature I'd want more than Lee's would be his. He lived & passed away in Aventura, FL, a Miami suburb near where I live. Great man!!

Yes, I think Gil Kane pencils with John Romita inks was a very had combination to beat.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,351 posts

I'm going to send this out for a press & clean then for grading. 

IMG_20180327_170115.jpg

IMG_20180327_170156.jpg

IMG_20180327_165038.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,351 posts

I've been looking for this one in 9.8 for ever!!! Not CGC but I'll take it! I got a little mini run here going

IMG_20180405_143945.jpg

IMG_20180405_144314.jpg

IMG_20180405_143142.jpg

IMG_20180405_144450.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,059 posts

Marvel Tales were a staple when I first started collecting Amazing Spider-Man.  They were a good way to read the earlier stories this ten year old couldn't afford.

The majority of the time, they had reprint stories with reprint covers.  Some of the earlier issues though had new covers, such as issues 26-30, 34-41, and 44.  

This is my favorite Marvel Tales new cover for a reprint story and is infinitely better than the original cover, IMHO.

 

Marvel Tales #44

 

Amazing Spider-Man Vol 1 61

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,940 posts

Totally agree, I also prefer this cover to the original. 

s-l1600_zpsy2yidetk.jpg

s-l1600%201_zpslaxaer3v.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,059 posts
5 hours ago, batmiesta said:

Totally agree, I also prefer this cover to the original. 

s-l1600_zpsy2yidetk.jpg

s-l1600%201_zpslaxaer3v.jpg

Yes, another great example, completely forgot about that one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,351 posts
1 hour ago, batmiesta said:

:whatthe: That is one strict looking 9.4 . 

Seems so but 9.4s usually have at least a couple of small hairline stress marks on the spine that you'll never see even with a good scan. I remember having a 9.4 & didn't even notice anything on the spine till I looked it over with a flash light. Then again there could be writing on the back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,351 posts
20 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Marvel Tales were a staple when I first started collecting Amazing Spider-Man.  They were a good way to read the earlier stories this ten year old couldn't afford.

The majority of the time, they had reprint stories with reprint covers.  Some of the earlier issues though had new covers, such as issues 26-30, 34-41, and 44.  

This is my favorite Marvel Tales new cover for a reprint story and is infinitely better than the original cover, IMHO.

 

Marvel Tales #44

 

Amazing Spider-Man Vol 1 61

44 is definitely the best MT cover imo! I think it's a tie between 50 & ASM 67. 

I'd love to find a high graded 44 at some point. Won't be CGC since there's only one 9.6 & one 9.0. I'll probably just find a raw & send it out. 

IMG_20180412_193155.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 posts

I picked this copy up today and was totally stoked to get it!! I'd like to get it cleaned and pressed and then graded. I'm terrible at trying to guess what it would grade at but, it's a very nice copy. Finally a member of the ASM 129 club!

20180414_155717.jpg

20180414_155730.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 posts

Also snagged this copy along with the 129. It's lower grade but I'm happy to have it!!

20180415_032621.jpg

20180415_032553.jpg

Edited by Allimagee
change description

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,351 posts
13 hours ago, Allimagee said:

I picked this copy up today and was totally stoked to get it!! I'd like to get it cleaned and pressed and then graded. I'm terrible at trying to guess what it would grade at but, it's a very nice copy. Finally a member of the ASM 129 club!

20180414_155717.jpg

20180414_155730.jpg

I'll guess between 8.5 & 9.2 after pressing. The graders will hammer that stain on the corner. Nonetheless it's a gem book on the move!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,814 posts
14 hours ago, Allimagee said:

I picked this copy up today and was totally stoked to get it!! I'd like to get it cleaned and pressed and then graded. I'm terrible at trying to guess what it would grade at but, it's a very nice copy. Finally a member of the ASM 129 club!

20180414_155717.jpg

20180414_155730.jpg

Nice book but that is a large stain that obviously permeates the whole book, cover to cover. I don't think a dry cleaning will help, other than the stain it looks pretty clean. A press may help but it will be difficult to overcome the affect on grade from that stain. I think you are looking at a mid grade result here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,967 posts

Agree with Bob, discolored water stains are viewed as a pretty severe flaw and, unfortunately, that puts it down in the mid-grade range at best. Cleaning and pressing won't be able to help that, it would primarily take care of surface dirt and wrinkles. It's a nice-looking copy otherwise and a great key to own, just not sure I'd go through the trouble of clean/press/grade unless you're just dead-set on having it done. I have a whole original-owner collection of books that went through a minor flood, so many good Silver and Bronze keys were randomly affected by the exact same type of staining -- I just shuffled those over to the pile to be sold raw "very good".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 posts

I just started a topic in the "can you spare a grade" thread. Thanks for the replies here. I figured the stain would knock it down a bit, its only visible on front and back cover and 1 page in. Still, this is a book I've always wanted and I got it at a price that I'll never find again. Aside from the stain, it is in beautiful shape for its age. I may go ahead and clean and press it and submit for grading because I seriously doubt i'll ever get rid of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
7 7