Bronze-Age Spideys
7 7

784 posts in this topic

8,887 posts
On 4/15/2018 at 3:16 PM, MGsimba77 said:

I'll guess between 8.5 & 9.2 after pressing. The graders will hammer that stain on the corner. Nonetheless it's a gem book on the move!! 

I'd guess 4.5 for the stain, maybe even a 4.0.

OP should keep it in a mylar and enjoy it raw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,174 posts
13 minutes ago, NP_Gresham said:

I'd guess 4.5 for the stain, maybe even a 4.0.

OP should keep it in a mylar and enjoy it raw.

You're probably closer to being right. I like to be optimistic :). They hammer that kind of permeating stain.

Even at that lower grade it's still more than worth it. Who knows, few years from now he can sell it for way more than whatever he ends up dishing out after grading. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 posts

You guys think the stain will drop it all the way to a 4.0 possibly?? Aside from the stain, its in really nice shape. Thats sad if it falls all that way. On the other hand, im not into it for that much money so I guess its ok. Just kind of a bummer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,903 posts

The only Bronze age Spidey title I collect.  Picked this up today, only 7 left to go:

Spidey_Super_Stories_19.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,010 posts
1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

The only Bronze age Spidey title I collect.  Picked this up today, only 7 left to go:

Spidey_Super_Stories_19.jpg

That's the only bronze age title I didn't collect back in the day.   There were some good Romita covers in there, but my reading prowess was too advanced for my age to enjoy  the stories.   Good luck with your run, bet some issues are hard to find in high grade :wishluck:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,903 posts
On 5/12/2018 at 5:46 PM, Spider-Variant said:

That's the only bronze age title I didn't collect back in the day.   There were some good Romita covers in there, but my reading prowess was too advanced for my age to enjoy  the stories.   Good luck with your run, bet some issues are hard to find in high grade :wishluck:

I remember reading a few issues when I was very young; there was a Lizard story that I remember in particular creeping the heck out of me.  Now I love them as a combo of nostalgia and the fact that, as an adult, the stories are absolutely BONKERS... they almost read like some of the madder GA books meet the Marvel Age.  

I'm not trying for high grade that much, just decently presenting copies that I can read.  The big problem is most of the issues had a clip & collect stamp on the back, so a lot of copies are cut up on the back cover. 

Spidey_Super_Stories_39.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,010 posts

Speaking of the Electric Company, I used to love it when Spidey appeared on the TV show. Sadly, when he got his own live action show, the costume wasn't much better. :facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,804 posts

Speaking of the Spidey TV show, just picked thse up, it might have been totally pants, but I loved it. 

DSC00749_zpsaqsywqox.jpg

DSC00745_zpsqag8d4jy.jpg

DSC00747_zpsd92cb2yy.jpg

DSC00748_zpsvm9jh8si.jpg

DSC00750_zpsbiogkgvw.jpg

DSC00746_zpsnbnxva91.jpg

DSC00751_zps7lmdpxlt.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,886 posts

Great, now that theme song will be stuck in my head the rest of the evening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,104 posts
On 5/21/2018 at 6:25 PM, batmiesta said:

Speaking of the Spidey TV show, just picked thse up, it might have been totally pants, but I loved it. 

DSC00749_zpsaqsywqox.jpg

DSC00745_zpsqag8d4jy.jpg

DSC00747_zpsd92cb2yy.jpg

DSC00748_zpsvm9jh8si.jpg

DSC00750_zpsbiogkgvw.jpg

DSC00746_zpsnbnxva91.jpg

DSC00751_zps7lmdpxlt.jpg

Very nice! Haven't seen those before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,010 posts

If any one issue defined my childhood comic collecting, it would be ASM 148.  It had it all.   Beautiful cover, great villians, Gwen Stacy, Mary Jane, cliff hanger ending.  Best 25 cents a boy ever spent. 

Edited by Spider-Variant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,174 posts
4 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

If any one issue defined my childhood comic collecting, it would be ASM 148.  It had it all.   Beautiful cover, great villians, Gwen Stacy, Mary Jane, cliff hanger ending.  Best 25 cents a boy ever spent. 

To my knowledge It was the first cover appearance of Gwen's clone other than 144 where it's just a boot. 

Yes jackal rips off his mask in the end revealing himself as Prof. Warren. I think Warren kills Serba in this issue or was it the next? Anyways, I love Jerry Conway's idea of resurrecting Gwen in the form of a clone to torment Peter! Brilliant! I thought there was too much confusion over the true identity of Peter's clone with later revelations in spectacular spiderman. Just got a bit convoluted.

I had a chance at this issue with a nice Conway sig in 9.6 but I just didn't like the wrapping on it. Besides, the price was way high. Glad you like it

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,104 posts
5 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

If any one issue defined my childhood comic collecting, it would be ASM 148.  It had it all.   Beautiful cover, great villians, Gwen Stacy, Mary Jane, cliff hanger ending.  Best 25 cents a boy ever spent. 

Agreed. That whole run with Gerry remains one of my favorites. Hard to believe how young he was back then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,010 posts
On 6/4/2018 at 9:12 PM, MGsimba77 said:

IMG_20180604_204505.jpg

Yes, that's a beauty.  I always wanted to upgrade my copy but never did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
7 7